I can’t speak to the issue and how it was handled in Ireland, where you obviously have more knowledge on the subject than I do, just as I have a bit more knowledge of how it was handled in the US.
Both are valid views, just from two different time zones so to speak.
I think that the worst response against this sort of allegation is to get defensive and defend the Church on this matter. Pulling up the drawbridge and defending the Church is what led to the cover-ups in the first place.
Yes, pedophile priests did exist, yes, local clergy and bishops were aware of them, and yes, bishops dealt with the issue by moving the offenders from parish to parish once knowledge of the offenders activities began to surface again. Whether we like it or not that is what happened. It was all about protecting the reputation of the Church at the expense of the well-being of innocent children who were abused and raped by a person held in a position of trust above most other people.
If we try to defend how the Church dealt with it, we are defending the indefensible. If we try to say the issue was exaggerated we are downplaying the child rape and abuse that did occur (and there is no doubt that it did).
In response to criticism here, I think we must be honest and admit that what happened was a terrible wrong, and that how the Church handled it was very wrong. We should admit that the way it was handled was out of a misguided loyalty to protect the reputation of the Church and that children suffered dreadfully as a result. The Church is made up of humans, humans are corrupted and sinful, and humans get it wrong. It was dreadful, it happened, the Church was at fault. To do otherwise would be to appear to condone the cover-up and would make it look like we’re still the same old, corrupt Church, covering up pedophile activities.
BTW, yes, even in the 1980’s, many in the medical profession held those views.
Perhaps, but it was still a criminal offence for which the offender would have been jailed. Priests were moved on by bishops out of a misguided desire to protect the reputation of the Church.
I really do hope that Pope Francis does make efforts to seriously deal with any member of the clergy (no matter how senior) who colluded with the pedophiles by moving them from parish to parish. I suspect that if this was done there would be some very senior clergy involved. The innocent children who were so horribly abused deserve no less, and unless this boil is properly lanced the Church’s claim to moral authority will continuously be undermined.