Commonweal & US Catholic on my diocese's website...advice needed!

  • Thread starter Thread starter gez722
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
Richardols:
Your opinion. Fine.
If Commonweal allows Curran on its pages, then that isn’t merely Fix’s opinion. It’s the opinion of the Teaching Church, the Living Magisterium. I’m no book burner, but Mr. Curran shouldn’t be allowed to espouse his dissenting views by any rag claiming to be Catholic.
 
40.png
JKirkLVNV:
If Commonweal allows Curran on its pages, then that isn’t merely Fix’s opinion. It’s the opinion of the Teaching Church, the Living Magisterium. I’m no book burner, but Mr. Curran shouldn’t be allowed to espouse his dissenting views by any rag claiming to be Catholic.
I guess you think Holy Mass is a rag. The Church has withdrawn from Father Curran his right to teach Catholic theology at a Catholic Institution. He continues to enjoy the ability to practice his priestly ministry including saying Mass and preaching.

The Church seems more generous and nuanced that some hamfisted and bitter folks.
 
40.png
katherine2:
I guess you think Holy Mass is a rag. The Church has withdrawn from Father Curran his right to teach Catholic theology at a Catholic Institution. He continues to enjoy the ability to practice his priestly ministry including saying Mass and preaching.

The Church seems more generous and nuanced that some hamfisted and bitter folks.
How does that justify writing things that are heterodox?
 
40.png
fix:
How does that justify writing things that are heterodox?
explain why you think preaching during Mass is less important than penning a essay.
 
40.png
katherine2:
I guess you think Holy Mass is a rag. The Church has withdrawn from Father Curran his right to teach Catholic theology at a Catholic Institution. He continues to enjoy the ability to practice his priestly ministry including saying Mass and preaching.

The Church seems more generous and nuanced that some hamfisted and bitter folks.
Now, Katherine, I have always spoken to you respectfully. You know I do not believe Holy Mass is a “rag” and that’s an inflammatory thing to say. I do not believe I am either hamfisted or bitter, nor are the people who withdrew his right to teach. If he is calling, even subtlely, for the ordination of women, then that is dissent. You cannot call it anything else, in logic!
 
40.png
JKirkLVNV:
If Commonweal allows Curran on its pages, then that isn’t merely Fix’s opinion. It’s the opinion of the Teaching Church, the Living Magisterium.
As you say, it’s an opinion.
 
Richardsol,

So, on what moral issue is the Church wrong? Commonweal, US Catholic, NCR seem to feel that the Church is wrong on contraception, homosexuality, among other issues. And here is the problem. I have no problem if they present their dissident ideas, I have a problem when they pretend to be Catholic when they are not. They are Protestant. NCR has consistently shown that it exists outside of the teachings of the Church, it should not call itself Catholic. Commonweal’s love of modernism tends to take it beyond the pale.

US Catholic sincerely tries I believe, and I have less of a problem than with the other two. But their last couple issues have been atrocious. I loved the poll where they asked Catholics what they wish they could do that the “mean ole Church” only lets Priests do, and the point of that was? US Catholic is moving beyond being Catholic. Look at their article on Christ and the Passion (not the movie). They attacked the concept of Christ’s redemptive suffering because that makes God mean. Give me a break.

To call these voices authentic Catholic is nuts. Believe, me, the Traditionalists have their own problems. NOR while good, definitely gets very anti-hierarcy (current hierarcy) all the time. The Sedevacantist publications by their very statements also remove themselves from the Church.

Moral Issues and Teachings don’t change. Get over it.
 
40.png
katherine2:
explain why you think preaching during Mass is less important than penning a essay.
How is that relevant? For all I know he preaches heresy during the mass. The Vatican allows many heterodox things to go on. That is their choice, or they may not be aware of it. Does any of that justify Curran publicly dissenting on any issue of faith and morals?
 
40.png
fix:
How is that relevant? For all I know he preaches heresy during the mass. The Vatican allows many heterodox things to go on. That is their choice, or they may not be aware of it. Does any of that justify Curran publicly dissenting on any issue of faith and morals?
I’m not defending Curran. Both the Church and Commonweal give him a limited forum – the Church within the context of the sacred liturgy and Commonweal within the context of the presentation of various viewpoints to an intelligent readership.
 
40.png
NWUArmyROTC:
US Catholic sincerely tries I believe, and I have less of a problem than with the other two. But their last couple issues have been atrocious. I loved the poll where they asked Catholics what they wish they could do that the “mean ole Church” only lets Priests do, and the point of that was? US Catholic is moving beyond being Catholic. Look at their article on Christ and the Passion (not the movie). They attacked the concept of Christ’s redemptive suffering because that makes God mean. Give me a break.
I have to disagree. U.S. Catholic has been far afield for years (years is an understatement, actually). It’s just that their approach seems more innocuous, which is what I find makes them all the more dangerous. They aren’t an intellectual journal like Commonweel, catering to knowledgable Catholics who know how to parse these details and make up their minds through serious debate. It’s a more generalized rag which tries to capture the average, unknowing Churchgoer, and draw them into the liberal Catholic fold unwittingly.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top