Communion and Gluten Intolerance

  • Thread starter Thread starter WatchfulPilgrim
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WatchfulPilgrim

Guest
I’ve been on a gluten-free diet for my Celiac disease for about 5 years now I guess. Over time on the diet one grows more and more intolerant to gluten (wheat, barley, and rye and some oat) I haven’t received communion on a regular basis is many years, but the times I have tried to I have continued to experience Celiac symptoms. When I was diagnosed with this my pastor had me hold off receiving communion while he investigated a then-new, low-gluten host. For some reason he would not allow me to receive from the cup. Now over time I have gotten so sensitive to gluten that I suspect I’m getting sick from whatever traces of it are being left behind in my pyx after he purifies it - and likely also from his hands after touching the other hosts prior to mine. I once had a priest at another parish just hand me the pyx while saying “the body of Christ” and didn’t even purify it. I know that wasn’t right. I’m thankful that there is another parish here that offers, not only the cup, but a seperate cup without the piece of host broken off into it. As long as I am the first to receive from the cup I’m fairly safe (as others may leave behind a glutenous residue from their lipstick or particles of host).

I have told my pastor about the problem I’m having with contamination and he offered to rinse out the pyx for me, but does not offer a solution to avoiding more contamination. I don’t know why he is so opposed to me receiving from the cup. I know it’s probably a hassle to have a seperate cup for me, and it will still need to be purified. I don’t know if the vessels are washed between Masses.

Anyone else have experience with this? If so, have you found a solution? I’m afraid I’ll have to resort to either changing parishes (which I’m not sure will solve the problem anyway, as the cup probably gets contaminated from purification too) or to limiting my communion to just a few times a year.
 
Why are you using a pyx, to keep separate the gluten-free host from the rest?

You are allowed to take from the cup only, that seems to be the obvious practical solution.
 
Why are you using a pyx, to keep separate the gluten-free host from the rest?

You are allowed to take from the cup only, that seems to be the obvious practical solution.
Yes, but the chalice contains a small particle of the Host.

I don’t understand why the priest can’t order some gluten free hosts for you. We have someone in the parish with this problem and one of our friars had too. We are a Franciscan parish. I can’t understand why any priest wouldn’t go out of his way to make sure you receive the sacraments.
 
Why are you using a pyx, to keep separate the gluten-free host from the rest?
Yes
You are allowed to take from the cup only, that seems to be the obvious practical solution.
Right. But my pastor will not allow this. I don’t know quite how to go about convincing him that I should be able to do this, or if I even should.
 
Yes, but the chalice contains a small particle of the Host.
Exactly. Like I said, one parish here does offer a seperate, smaller chalice without the particle of host in it. But I’m still not sure it is washed between Masses and if it is getting contaminated during purification.
I don’t understand why the priest can’t order some gluten free hosts for you. We have someone in the parish with this problem and one of our friars had too. We are a Franciscan parish. I can’t understand why any priest wouldn’t go out of his way to make sure you receive the sacraments.
Yes, I should have made that clearer: I am using a low-gluten host by the Benedictine nuns already. That is why I have a pyx - I bring it to Mass and have it consecrated in the pyx. The trouble is with cross-contamination either from the purification of the pyx or from the priests hands when he administers communion. I really don’t see a good way to avoid this. I haven’t tried receiving from that seperate cup on a regular basis yet so I’m not sure if I will have trouble or not (if it is contaminated).

Is it a requirement that the vessels be cleaned between Masses? Other than just with wiping it out with the cloth?
 
Exactly. Like I said, one parish here does offer a seperate, smaller chalice without the particle of host in it. But I’m still not sure it is washed between Masses and if it is getting contaminated during purification. Yes, I should have made that clearer: I am using a low-gluten host by the Benedictine nuns already. That is why I have a pyx - I bring it to Mass and have it consecrated in the pyx. The trouble is with cross-contamination either from the purification of the pyx or from the priests hands when he administers communion. I really don’t see a good way to avoid this. I haven’t tried receiving from that seperate cup on a regular basis yet so I’m not sure if I will have trouble or not (if it is contaminated).

Is it a requirement that the vessels be cleaned between Masses? Other than just with wiping it out with the cloth?
In our parish, the cups are washed every week, however, they are not washed between the week-end Masses. When I am the sacristan, I put out two cruets of water- one to purify the ciboria and the other to purify the cups.

We have a few people in our parish with the celiac disease. Since we have no way of knowing which Mass they will be at, they go back into the sacristy before Mass and get the pyx ready with their low gluten hosts and put it out on the table. Father has them sit in the front pew. They are the first to receive Communion. Then Father puts that large pyx back on the altar and picks up his ciborium with the regular Hosts to continue distributing Communion to the rest of the congregation.
 
In our parish, the cups are washed every week, however, they are not washed between the week-end Masses. When I am the sacristan, I put out two cruets of water- one to purify the ciboria and the other to purify the cups.

We have a few people in our parish with the celiac disease. Since we have no way of knowing which Mass they will be at, they go back into the sacristy before Mass and get the pyx ready with their low gluten hosts and put it out on the table. Father has them sit in the front pew. They are the first to receive Communion. Then Father puts that large pyx back on the altar and picks up his ciborium with the regular Hosts to continue distributing Communion to the rest of the congregation.
Yes, this is what I’ve been doing too. I’m afraid there’s enough gluten on his hands after having consecrated them and distributed even just the ones to the eucharistic ministers and alter servers before me. Not sure I’ll find any way to avoid that.

Ok, so the chalice would likely be less contaminated than my pyx at least - even if it only gets washed once a week. My pyx has only ever been purified with the cloth in all these years. You can see particles in the pyx even after this. I’ve a better chance at getting at least less contamination from the chalice I am sure. Now if only I could convince my pastor that it would be better for me to receive that way. I really don’t know what his problem is with offering the cup.
 
Yes, this is what I’ve been doing too. I’m afraid there’s enough gluten on his hands after having consecrated them and distributed even just the ones to the eucharistic ministers and alter servers before me. Not sure I’ll find any way to avoid that.

Ok, so the chalice would likely be less contaminated than my pyx at least - even if it only gets washed once a week. My pyx has only ever been purified with the cloth in all these years. You can see particles in the pyx even after this. I’ve a better chance at getting at least less contamination from the chalice I am sure. Now if only I could convince my pastor that it would be better for me to receive that way. I really don’t know what his problem is with offering the cup.
Maybe give him a note from your doctor?
 
I just wanted to say that the purificators for the cups are not necessarily used on the ciboria. Particularly on weekends when there are four purificators for the cups. At least two of those purificators are used in purifying the cups. The priest’s purificator and one of the purificators from the cups is used when purifying his chalice and the ciboria.

What I am saying is that the purificators that were used on the ciboria are not necessarily used to purify the cups.
 
I’ve been on a gluten-free diet for my Celiac disease for about 5 years now I guess. Over time on the diet one grows more and more intolerant to gluten (wheat, barley, and rye and some oat) I haven’t received communion on a regular basis is many years, but the times I have tried to I have continued to experience Celiac symptoms. When I was diagnosed with this my pastor had me hold off receiving communion while he investigated a then-new, low-gluten host. For some reason he would not allow me to receive from the cup. Now over time I have gotten so sensitive to gluten that I suspect I’m getting sick from whatever traces of it are being left behind in my pyx after he purifies it - and likely also from his hands after touching the other hosts prior to mine. I once had a priest at another parish just hand me the pyx while saying “the body of Christ” and didn’t even purify it. I know that wasn’t right. I’m thankful that there is another parish here that offers, not only the cup, but a seperate cup without the piece of host broken off into it. As long as I am the first to receive from the cup I’m fairly safe (as others may leave behind a glutenous residue from their lipstick or particles of host).

I have told my pastor about the problem I’m having with contamination and he offered to rinse out the pyx for me, but does not offer a solution to avoiding more contamination. I don’t know why he is so opposed to me receiving from the cup. I know it’s probably a hassle to have a seperate cup for me, and it will still need to be purified. I don’t know if the vessels are washed between Masses.

Anyone else have experience with this? If so, have you found a solution? I’m afraid I’ll have to resort to either changing parishes (which I’m not sure will solve the problem anyway, as the cup probably gets contaminated from purification too) or to limiting my communion to just a few times a year.
Here’s one suggestion. The priest can consecrate your host while it’s still in your own pyx by placing it on the corporal. When it comes time for Communion, he can administer the Host to you by holding out his hand with the pyx in it and you can pick up the Host yourself–that way his fingers (with the gluten crumbs) never touch it, and he’s still distributing to you (not self-communicating so what you said in the first post is realy not a problem). Just a suggestion to run past him.

Personally I have a dedicated paten for low-gluten hosts. Finding an extra paten (say from an old chalice set) or even buying a new inexpensive one is not that difficult. I don’t like the idea of consecrating hosts while they’re in a pyx, but a paten seems a little better (in terms of appearance at least).

In addition, after he properly purifies the vessel, (pyx or paten or whatever else) there’s nothing wrong with you washing it again to remove any traces of gluten.
 
Here’s one suggestion. The priest can consecrate your host while it’s still in your own pyx by placing it on the corporal. When it comes time for Communion, he can administer the Host to you by holding out his hand with the pyx in it and you can pick up the Host yourself–that way his fingers (with the gluten crumbs) never touch it, and he’s still distributing to you (not self-communicating so what you said in the first post is realy not a problem). Just a suggestion to run past him.
I asked if he would be willing to do that, as one priest did this for me a few years ago. For some reason he won’t do it.
Personally I have a dedicated paten for low-gluten hosts. Finding an extra paten (say from an old chalice set) or even buying a new inexpensive one is not that difficult. I don’t like the idea of consecrating hosts while they’re in a pyx, but a paten seems a little better (in terms of appearance at least).
In addition, after he properly purifies the vessel, (pyx or paten or whatever else) there’s nothing wrong with you washing it again to remove any traces of gluten.
It would need to be washed in the sacristy sink though, correct?
 
I asked if he would be willing to do that, as one priest did this for me a few years ago. For some reason he won’t do it.It would need to be washed in the sacristy sink though, correct?
After it has been purified, you can wash it in your own sink at home if you wanted to.
 
from the CIC (Code of Canon Law):
Can. 925 Holy communion is to be given under the form of bread alone, or under both species according to the norm of the liturgical laws, or even under the form of wine alone in a case of necessity.

I’d suggest pointing this out, and pointing out that his intransigence has made the eucharist a suffering for you.

Also, talk to the bishop.
 
I asked if he would be willing to do that, as one priest did this for me a few years ago. For some reason he won’t do it.It would need to be washed in the sacristy sink though, correct?
As for the first half, I’m out of suggestions.

For the second half, it need not necessarily be washed in the sacrarium if it’s already been properly purified. Better? yes, but it might be going a bit far to insist that it be done this way.
 
You can also contact the Benedictine sisters and ask their advice. They have probably handled a lot of similar problems and may be able to help. And, it is okay for the priest to offer you the pyx and for you to remove the host yourself from the pyx, so that there is no gluten residue.
 
You can also contact the Benedictine sisters and ask their advice. They have probably handled a lot of similar problems and may be able to help. And, it is okay for the priest to offer you the pyx and for you to remove the host yourself from the pyx, so that there is no gluten residue.
I hadn’t thought of asking for the Benedictines’ advice. I think I’ll try that avenue next. The last thing I want to do is seem like I’m criticizing the pastor or go above him without his knowlege.

Thanks~
 
I hadn’t thought of asking for the Benedictines’ advice. I think I’ll try that avenue next. The last thing I want to do is seem like I’m criticizing the pastor or go above him without his knowlege.

Thanks~
What solution has the pastor himself offered? (it might be in the posts, but I don’t quite see it).
 
What solution has the pastor himself offered? (it might be in the posts, but I don’t quite see it).
We haven’t discussed it any further. He seems like he was out of ideas. His last solution was to rinse it in the sacristy, but that won’t solve the problem of him handling the host in the first place. He is insistant that he actually place the host in my mouth or hand - I don’t know why.

If I can’t convince him otherwise, or if we can’t arrive at some other conclusion, I will just have to go across town to receive communion when I can. It’s inconvenient, but worth it - even if it isn’t on a regular basis.
 
We haven’t discussed it any further. He seems like he was out of ideas. His last solution was to rinse it in the sacristy, but that won’t solve the problem of him handling the host in the first place. He is insistant that he actually place the host in my mouth or hand - I don’t know why.

If I can’t convince him otherwise, or if we can’t arrive at some other conclusion, I will just have to go across town to receive communion when I can. It’s inconvenient, but worth it - even if it isn’t on a regular basis.
As I said earlier, I’m about out of ideas here, but here’s one last attempt: What if he were to place the low-gluten host on a paten on the corporal at the offertory, then when it comes time for Communion, he could place that paten over your open hand and “slide” the Host onto your hand without actually picking it up?
 
As I said earlier, I’m about out of ideas here, but here’s one last attempt: What if he were to place the low-gluten host on a paten on the corporal at the offertory, then when it comes time for Communion, he could place that paten over your open hand and “slide” the Host onto your hand without actually picking it up?
I’m not sure he’d see it any differently than tipping the pyx over into my hand, but it’s worth a try - Thanks!

I went to Mass today and went to the parish that offers the Precious Blood. I talked to the priest ahead of Mass to make sure it would be available. He said he always makes it available b/c the Blessed Sacrament should be a Sacrament unto grace and not a Sacrament unto illness 🙂

For the sake of anyone else who has to go to my old parish, I will talk to the pastor about the possibility of either making the Precious Blood available or, as you suggest, to slide it into the hand or something similar.

Thanks so much~
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top