Communion Carryout

• Thread starter Thread starter MikeRPh
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MikeRPh

One day I went to daily Mass and cut the time for fasting a little too close. I took the Host but held it (reverently) until I got home (about 20 minutes) at which point I consumed the Body of Christ. I didn’t ask at the time if it was ok, but I wonder if it is OK to take a “Carryout” like that?

No, unfortunately that is very irregular. And did you even have a Pix to carry the Blessed Sacrament in? :confused:

40.png
MikeRPh:
One day I went to daily Mass and cut the time for fasting a little too close. I took the Host but held it (reverently) until I got home (about 20 minutes) at which point I consumed the Body of Christ. I didn’t ask at the time if it was ok, but I wonder if it is OK to take a “Carryout” like that?
No, you did the wrong thing. You did not know it was wrong but it very much is.

At my parish, Father has the ushers on guard on all sides to make sure the people receiving communion actually consume it at the altar as they are suppose to do.

One lady did much like you did and Father had the woman blocked off at the church entrance as she was leaving. He confronted her (kindly mind you) and asked if she was Catholic, (yes) are you intending to consume the host at the altar. (no…she wanted to take it home for later) so he politely made her give it back to him.

Part of the Rubric’s of proper disposion to receive is that you have fasted one hour before receiving but also must receive at the Mass. No Carry outs allowed.

I was recently horrified for a moment when I was kneeling after receiving Holy Communion and looked over at one of my sons.

It had been just a few weeks since his First Holy Communion. He had carefully carried the Body of Christ back to the pew and was inspecting it – virtually microscopically! It was a natural curiosity on his part, but my wife and I wasted no time on additional catechesis after Mass.

40.png
Marie:
No, you did the wrong thing. You did not know it was wrong but it very much is.

At my parish, Father has the ushers on guard on all sides to make sure the people receiving communion actually consume it at the altar as they are suppose to do.

One lady did much like you did and Father had the woman blocked off at the church entrance as she was leaving. He confronted her (kindly mind you) and asked if she was Catholic, (yes) are you intending to consume the host at the altar. (no…she wanted to take it home for later) so he politely made her give it back to him.

Part of the Rubric’s of proper disposion to receive is that you have fasted one hour before receiving but also must receive at the Mass. No Carry outs allowed.
God bless your pastor and those that assist him. They seem to really care. Far too many people don’t realize in this day and age that a consecrated host is the true Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of Jesus Christ.

40.png
ElaineMomNC:
No, unfortunately that is very irregular. And did you even have a Pix to carry the Blessed Sacrament in? :confused:
A pyx and a burse would have made no difference. It is still gravely wrong.

40.png
Crusader:
God bless your pastor and those that assist him. They seem to really care. Far too many people don’t realize in this day and age that a consecrated host is the true Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of Jesus Christ.
Father is a wonderful priest. He takes much care for the proper respect of the Eucharist. One day a year or so ago, I was suppose to pick up the Host’s for the homebound ministry. When I arrived the church was open and as we had been burglarized before, I got on the horn and called Father. He rushed headlong from a meeting into the church. He tore through the church checking the Tabernacle, and where we keep the unconsecrated hosts before checking anything else.

It turned out the janitor forgot to lock the church the night before, but Father then moved the unconsecrated hosts to a locked secure room and installed a second set of doors with an Alarm. His first and foremost concern was Jesus in the Eucharist.

Everyone here has already let you know that this was not OK for you to do. I’d just like to add that the reason why someone will stop you if they notice is because, sadly, some anti-Catholic or Satanic people have actually tried to steal the consecrated host to destroy or desecrate it later. 😦

A different perspective…
As a Byzantine Catholic, our distribution of Holy Communion involves a spoon and you tilt your head back and the priest drops the bread, soaked in wine, on your tongue. You consume it there. However someone, for whatever reason, could take it out of their mouth. But the action of the priest personally puts it on your tongue is more reverant.

I was in the Roman Rite for about 37 of my 43 years, and I see more of a hazardous situation concerning the consumption of the Holy Eucharist. (a parishoner could accidently drop it). Sometimes I question those who want to leave directly after receiving Communion…

When ever I do attend Roman Mass, I will have the Eucharist placed on my tongue.

Go with God!
Edwin

40.png
Ourladyguadalup:
…sadly, some anti-Catholic or Satanic people have actually tried to steal the consecrated host to destroy or desecrate it later. 😦
Upon a visit to New Orleans, LA my wife and I attended Saturday evening mass at the St. Louis Cathedral on Jackson Square in the French Quarter. I noticed the ushers watching the communicants intently as we consumed, then signed ourselves and returned to our places. These ushers were watching for exactly what ‘Ourladyguadalup’ is referring to above. With so much voodoo and witchcraft active in the New Orleans area this is a problem for the parishes.

While visiting a church in Hollywood, CA I noticed that because of the altar rail and various statues and votive candles, there were limited places where the EMHC’s might stand. Unfortunately, they were placed practically in the doorway. 90% of the people received the Eucharist on their way out the door. It was appalling.

This is one of the reasons why, as way of providing example, I choose to receive on the tongue rather than in the hand. No, I don’t think it’s holier or that people don’t have a right to recieve in the hand (they do). It is my way of protecting the Sacrament.I have seen way too much of these type of shenanigans. I’ve seen people perform cutsie little rituals before consuming (One example: a couple going up together, both raising their Hosts up to the altar, then giving each other communion. PA-LEEZE!!). I’ve seen children who were obviously not Catholic walk around with a Host not knowing what to do with it until someone, thankfully, noticed and addressed it right there. I saw a woman slip a host in her pocket and try to take it down the aisle and was headed off at the door by the priest.

At least if people recieved it on their tongue, the opportunity for this type of foolishness is lessened. If we ever return to the day when Catholics are properly catechized and/or at least have an appreciation for the holiness of the sacarament, maybe I’ll start receiving in the hand again. 😉

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back