\Interesting. Do you have any reliable stats to back this? There never was a “need” for the priest to leave the sanctuary because it was not allowed. That isn’t to say that people with disabilities weren’t present. How do people with disabilities arrive at Mass to begin with? What method did they use to arrive at their pew in the first place.\
**How did the handicapped people get to their pews in the first palce? Simple. They didn’t, because they stayed at home. Why did they stay at home? Because they couldn’t get into the church building, usually.
I don’t know how old you are, but there was a time when public buildings, especially churches, were built with big, long stairways going up to the only entrance. The Roman Catholic cathedral in my home town is one example, but not the only one I could give. The Baptist Church where I was raised was similar. So were the other churces in the neighborhood. And there were NO elevators.
The schools I attended were similar–big outside stairs, stair cases, and no ramps, lifts, or anything else. Certainly no ground-level entrances. Even the college I first attended (founded in the '60’s) had no elevators in the multi-story buildings. As I think about it, NO college I attended had ANY accomodation for the handicapped, or even elevators.
Churches and other buildings were designed this way because the handicapped, especially those in wheel chairs, were not expected, or even encouraged, to go out in public, as another poster has said. It never occurred to people that this was unjust.
Only in the 70’s, as I recall, did barrier-free architecture–first mandated by civil law–become the norm in desiging churches and other public buildigns.**