G
GwenL
Guest
Yesterday morning, I went to a church in town (not my usual parish); a 7 a.m. Mass was on the schedule. It was a communion service instead; a woman led the service, standing behind the altar and reading prayers, etc… Nothing much out of the ordinary until the end. She went to the tabernacle (without genuflecting), retrieved a ciborium, and returned to the altar. She then removed a host, stated “the body of Christ,” and self-communicated. Then she took the ciborium and gave communion to the parishioners.
I know that communion services shouldn’t be a normal thing, especially during the week, especially where there are many other churches with daily Mass. Apparently the priests were on some sort of retreat and gone for a few days. But that’s not my question here.
My question is about the self-communication. Is the non-priest person who leads a communion service supposed to do this? I’ve read on this forum that EHMCs are not allowed to do this, but always the comments have been in the context of the Mass, and of course I cannot find the thread or post. Maybe I am remembering in error.
This woman may be a religious. Not sure if that changes things? It was difficult to tell, as she was in street (really, gym) clothes; tennis shoes and gray stretchy sweat pants, but I know that some non-habited older women religious are at this particular church. Or she may have been a lay person.
What are the rules about self-communication?
I know that communion services shouldn’t be a normal thing, especially during the week, especially where there are many other churches with daily Mass. Apparently the priests were on some sort of retreat and gone for a few days. But that’s not my question here.
My question is about the self-communication. Is the non-priest person who leads a communion service supposed to do this? I’ve read on this forum that EHMCs are not allowed to do this, but always the comments have been in the context of the Mass, and of course I cannot find the thread or post. Maybe I am remembering in error.
This woman may be a religious. Not sure if that changes things? It was difficult to tell, as she was in street (really, gym) clothes; tennis shoes and gray stretchy sweat pants, but I know that some non-habited older women religious are at this particular church. Or she may have been a lay person.
What are the rules about self-communication?