G
Ghirardelli
Guest
I’m not sure that’s a licit option. It contravenes the actual ritual that governs such services.Execelent option
I’m not sure that’s a licit option. It contravenes the actual ritual that governs such services.Execelent option
I guess I should have included “IMO” this would be a reasonable exception under certain circumstances.I’m not sure that’s a licit option. It contravenes the actual ritual that governs such services.
Can you give a source for that?I’m not sure that’s a licit option. It contravenes the actual ritual that governs such services.
The specific hardcopy of the rite I have is:Can you give a source for that?
Because some people are unable to travel the two miles.I posted the original question to clear up my own lack of understanding about “self-communication.” A friend told me that a lay person can never self-communicate, whether during a communion service or while serving as EHMC during a Mass. You might note by looking at my “religion” that I’m not yet a Catholic and still trying to learn.
Slightly different topic: I was put off by the dress and manner of the person conducting the service. If you can’t genuflect or at least bow for the Lord, when are you ever going to do so? IMHO, anyone presiding at any such service, serving as EHMC, reader, etc., should be able to do better than sweat pants and tennis shoes. (And these were not cheapo shoes/sweats, either.) Maybe my military background is showing through.
Even more different topic: this was not my parish, as I stated in the OP. In my parish, we have communion service every single weekday, even though we also have daily Mass. When we have Mass in the a.m., we have a communion service in the evening, and vice-versa. This is clearly NOT due to a shortage of priests. And, in my observation, these are not homebound, hospitalized, or bedridden people.
At this church which I described in the OP, they are also not short of priests. They were just gone for a few days on retreat. As I stated, this is not a case of “no Mass or communion service day after day.” And there was not a lack of availability of daily Mass for the congregation; this is not a rural or remote area. There is another church about 2 miles away that also has daily Mass at 7:00. If you are in a remote or rural area, or are truly short of priests, then a communion service on Sunday seems very necessary. But the example I gave is in a metropolitan area without those limitations.
Personally, if I’d known it was going to be a communion service, I’d have gone to the church 2 miles away for Mass. Why would you ever want to go to a communion service when you can go to Mass?![]()
He is not overruling RS and your suggesting he is does not change that.No, because the bishop does not have the authority to overrule RS, as already quoted by benedictgirl.
But you didn’t know there wouldn’t be a mass so you went there. Would you have preferred to arrive at the church to see a sign on the door ‘no daily mass this week’? (Actually this might have been a good idea since those in the parish would already have known.) But would there then have been time for you to walk or drive to another church and be on time for mass?I posted the original question to clear up my own lack of understanding about “self-communication.” A friend told me that a lay person can never self-communicate, whether during a communion service or while serving as EHMC during a Mass. You might note by looking at my “religion” that I’m not yet a Catholic and still trying to learn.
Slightly different topic: I was put off by the dress and manner of the person conducting the service. If you can’t genuflect or at least bow for the Lord, when are you ever going to do so? IMHO, anyone presiding at any such service, serving as EHMC, reader, etc., should be able to do better than sweat pants and tennis shoes. (And these were not cheapo shoes/sweats, either.) Maybe my military background is showing through.
Even more different topic: this was not my parish, as I stated in the OP. In my parish, we have communion service every single weekday, even though we also have daily Mass. When we have Mass in the a.m., we have a communion service in the evening, and vice-versa. This is clearly NOT due to a shortage of priests. And, in my observation, these are not homebound, hospitalized, or bedridden people.
At this church which I described in the OP, they are also not short of priests. They were just gone for a few days on retreat. As I stated, this is not a case of “no Mass or communion service day after day.” And there was not a lack of availability of daily Mass for the congregation; this is not a rural or remote area. There is another church about 2 miles away that also has daily Mass at 7:00. If you are in a remote or rural area, or are truly short of priests, then a communion service on Sunday seems very necessary. But the example I gave is in a metropolitan area without those limitations.
Personally, if I’d known it was going to be a communion service, I’d have gone to the church 2 miles away for Mass. Why would you ever want to go to a communion service when you can go to Mass?![]()
Yes, I would have preferred such a sign. I would not have stayed for the communion service. I went 30 minutes before Mass to pray the Rosary. I would have had time to drive two miles to the other church.Would you have preferred to arrive at the church to see a sign on the door ‘no daily mass this week’? (Actually this might have been a good idea since those in the parish would already have known.) But would there then have been time for you to walk or drive to another church and be on time for mass?
However, even the bishop is goverened by some parameters. Perhaps you missed the key word phrase here:He is not overruling RS and your suggesting he is does not change that.
The authority whether or not to allow a CS in my diocese rests fully with my bishop and not some outside layperson’s interpretation of RS.
In other words, such a granting of permission should not be a “slam-dunk”, especially if the parish has a regular Sunday Mass, and, moreso, if they have daily Mass. These Sunday Celebrations in the Absence of a Priest have specific parameters.[166.] Likewise, especially if Holy Communion is distributed during such celebrations, the diocesan Bishop, to whose exclusive competence this matter pertains, must not easily grant permission for such celebrations to be held on weekdays, especially in places where it was possible or would be possible to have the celebration of Mass on the preceding or the following Sunday.