Compulsion or not?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Kathrin
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kathrin

Guest
On the way from work, on the train. I wanted to read and study, but then had this inner conversation: Then you might miss the church on the way again and not cross yourself when you pass it.
I replied in this inner conversation that I wouldn’t.

I missed the church, reading. 😦

Now I know we are not obligated to cross ourselves especially when we didn’t even see a church, but since I intended to… and maybe kind of promised???.. I felt tempted to take the next train abck so I’d pass the church again to cross myself. They only run every half hour though and it’s quite a long trip. So I didn’t get off.

Did I resist a compulsion and it was good?
Or should I still go back? To show that God is more important to me than reading that book?

Kathrin
 
I am really struggling.
I was reading a book that was important to me, something I really enjoy.
Then sometimes I feel guilty when I enjoy something, get into something, studies etc.

And now I missed the church reading it.
Now I feel guilty again, somehow.😦
 
Interesting. I have never heard of crossing yourself when you pass a church.

Is this a tradition or church law?
 
Kathrin,

I have responded by Private Message. God bless you!
 
Interesting. I have never heard of crossing yourself when you pass a church.

Is this a tradition or church law?
Just a traditional pious practice, acknowledging Jesus’ presence. No obligation at all.
 
Thank you all.
I went to confession, it wass sscheduled confessions this afaternoon. It was a priest who knows me. He said it was super I resisted. 🙂
 
When I was a child, my parents acknowledged the presence of Jesus in the Catholic churches we drove past by praying: “Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament, I adore Thee and love Thee.” I still do so to this day as an adult. It’s a wonderful habit. 👍
 
When I was a child, my parents acknowledged the presence of Jesus in the Catholic churches we drove past by praying: “Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament, I adore Thee and love Thee.” I still do so to this day as an adult. It’s a wonderful habit. 👍
I kept it light with my DD - we waved and said, “Hi, Jesus, we love You!”

Betsy
 
Ok, question by the way: If you’re in the car with people who aren’t practising Catholics, do you cross yourself every time you pass a church?
What if you are with people who know you tend to be compulsive and may take it the wrong way?
 
Ok, question by the way: If you’re in the car with people who aren’t practising Catholics, do you cross yourself every time you pass a church?
What if you are with people who know you tend to be compulsive and may take it the wrong way?
You don’t have to do it at all. It’s optional, not required. You can also just mentally acknowledge Jesus’ presence without any external sign if you think people would take it the wrong way.

I make the Sign of the Cross as an act of reverence, but also as a witness to those riding with me (for example, my daughters) to remind them of Jesus’ presence in every tabernacle. I do the same even if the people riding with me are not Catholics (nor Christians, nor believers in God); it’s OK to be courageous in expressing our faith.

But as long as you have a loving relationship with Jesus, you don’t have to express it the same way every time you pass a church. And certainly don’t feel guilty about it if you forget; there is absolutely no sin or guilt involved.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top