Concentration during Prayers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nelka

New member
In general I have poor concentration when I pray, I keep having to force myself from thinking about other stuff when I pray. My brain is like a cement mixer or a swarm of bees.

I try not to pray too late which would make it worse if I were tired and I am better than what I was but sometimes I feel it would be better if I were in total darkness so nothing would distract me.

I know the evil spirits are “helping” me be distracted as when I pray my brain suddenly fills up with many things that weren’t there moments before or straight after.

Maybe I am focusing during prayers in the wrong way?

Has anybody else gone through this?

Thanks.
 
In general I have poor concentration when I pray, I keep having to force myself from thinking about other stuff when I pray. My brain is like a cement mixer or a swarm of bees.

I try not to pray too late which would make it worse if I were tired and I am better than what I was but sometimes I feel it would be better if I were in total darkness so nothing would distract me.

I know the evil spirits are “helping” me be distracted as when I pray my brain suddenly fills up with many things that weren’t there moments before or straight after.

Maybe I am focusing during prayers in the wrong way?

Has anybody else gone through this?

Thanks.
I think everyone goes through what you experience.

While reading your post, I just realize one thing that I did not realize before. Every time I woke up during the mid of night I start to pray the Rosary. And I usually wake up at least once during the mid of the night. I just realize I am actually concentrating while praying during of the wake of my sleep. During the moment of waking up but still sleepy, I have to concentrate on my praying so I won’t fall back to sleep before finishing my Rosary. I just realize that I usually do not have other thoughts during those praying moments but concentrate pretty well.

I am not saying it is a good ides to pray during the mid of night while waking up. It does disturb my sleep, make my sleep not constant. I am just sharing my sudden realization by reading your post.🙂
 
In general I have poor concentration when I pray, I keep having to force myself from thinking about other stuff when I pray. My brain is like a cement mixer or a swarm of bees.

I try not to pray too late which would make it worse if I were tired and I am better than what I was but sometimes I feel it would be better if I were in total darkness so nothing would distract me.

I know the evil spirits are “helping” me be distracted as when I pray my brain suddenly fills up with many things that weren’t there moments before or straight after.

Maybe I am focusing during prayers in the wrong way?

Has anybody else gone through this?

Thanks.
Many, many people go through this! In “The Way of Perfection,” the great St. Teresa of Jesus (an authority on prayer if ever there was one), says:
There are some souls and minds so scattered they are like wild horses no one can stop. Now they’re running here, now there, always restless . . . This restlessness is either caused by the soul’s nature or permitted by God.

So, you are certainly not alone.
 
Distractions are something that everyone experiences.

When you become aware of the distraction think of the Lord’s love for you and his death on the cross, or another truth of the faith. Every time you have a distraction bring your thoughts back to the Lord. Every time you do that you are choosing the Lord over the distraction. That is good.

There are many good books about prayer, and how to improve our prayer life. Perhaps your priest can make some suggestions.
 
I do better near an open window, (even at night) listening to nature, deep breathing. I keep a glass of ice water near the bed, or my chair, depending on the time of day.
Pray brings us peace, so I never fret when I fall asleep. I figure the Lord knows I’m tired, and need rest. My mother used to say that when we fall asleep praying, that our guardian angels pray for us. I guess she figured since they are not busy while we sleep, they could do this, LOL. 😃
At any rate, don’t beat yourself up about it, but do try to find a quiet place and maybe even a hard chair to sit in while you read the Bible or do your devotions. There’s a reason why pews are wood and not terribly comfy. 😉
 
Yes. Everyone has days when we simply can’t focus on anything. I wouldn’t call it evil spirits as much as I would call it being human.

As for what to do. Most of the saints suggest to simply press on as well as you can. Montfort and Teresa of Avila both said that, and I’m sure that I’ve read it in a few other places as well. It’s better to do a bad job than it is to not do one at all. And remember, God knows the depths of our heart; he hears the prayers that come from there, regardless of how distracted the mind may be.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top