J
junostarlighter
Guest
Simple question: Is anyone aware of any Catholic scholars/writers who have weighed in on the New Perspective on Paul that is going on in Protestant circles?
While Wikipedia is hardly a theological resource, if the article is correct, it may signal a turning point in Catholic/Protestant relations. Perhaps, even, it would be conducive to repairing the divisions between us. Unfortunately, the passage lacks references so we have no idea which RC and EO writers are meant.The new perspective has, by and large, been an internal debate among Protestant scholars. Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox writers have generally responded favorably to new perspective ideas, seeing both a greater commonality with their own beliefs and seeing strong similarities with the views of many of the early Church Fathers. Passages in the works of many early Church Fathers show that new perspective interpretations were widely held among them.
Luke Timothy Johnson is supportive. Generally it’s a Protestant movement, because the interpretation being overturned is a Protestant one. But essentially many of these Protestant scholars are saying what Catholics have said all along (though modern scholars are saying it with more historical context and nuance). I wish some of them–N. T. Wright especially–would be more forthright about the fact. But he’s fighting off accusations of betraying the Reformation, so naturally he’s going to play down his agreement with Catholicism!Simple question: Is anyone aware of any Catholic scholars/writers who have weighed in on the New Perspective on Paul that is going on in Protestant circles?
I have heard it expressed in other fields as those who have been educated beyond their capabilities.No, but I heard a talk by Fr. Corapi who said that a lot of these modern scholars are nothing but educated imbeciles. He said no matter how much education you have, if you don’t approach the faith with the same Holy Spirit that lives in the Church, you’re nothing but an amateur.
Hey you should be a little more sensitive. I reached that point sometime right after sixth grade. I couldn’t just stop ya know…I have heard it expressed in other fields as those who have been educated beyond their capabilities.
Hey you should be a little more sensitive. I reached that point sometime right after sixth grade. I couldn’t just stop ya know…