P
Pug
Guest
Yes you are right.It might not be that difficult in the case under discussion where the husband is trying to avoid contracting an STD from his wife.
Yes you are right.It might not be that difficult in the case under discussion where the husband is trying to avoid contracting an STD from his wife.
Yes, a few difficult questions here.Hormonal contraceptives have abortifacient potential should break-through ovulation occur. The risk of abortion raises the bar on the proportionate risk criteria of the Principle of Double Effect.
What conditions are treated with hormonal contraceptives for which there are no other treatments compatible with pregnancy available?
What is the risk of not treating the patient for these conditions? Of stopping treatment periodically to allow for conjugal periods during prolonged courses of treatment?
Finally, there is the option to abstain from sex entirely for the entire course of treatment. While this is certainly a difficult option for the patient and spouse, it is preferable to causing the death of a new life.
The use of a condom is to prevent a man’s seed from entering a woman. It’s inherent function is as a contraceptive. Anything but flesh unto flesh is a contraceptive. He still uses contraceptive, and is therefore sinning against purity.I invite you to comment on a hypothetical situation: a man, Fred, is married to a woman who has a sexually transmitted disease which does not respond to medication. He uses a condom with the intention of preventing the virus responsible for the disease from infection him. If his wife did not have the virus, he would not wear the condom. His intention is not to contracept, but to prevent the spread of disease. The contraceptive effect is an unintended side-effect.
Now I understand that this is not what the Church teaches. But I fail to see the logic. Can anyone explain it to me, when the situation of a woman using oral contraception to protect against acne, or to regulate periods is acceptable to the Church, as the contraceptive effect is an unintended side effect.
But by this same argument the pill is still a contraceptive and so shouldn’t it never bbe permissable to use the pill and still have sex? This is Hokomai’s question exactly.The use of a condom is to prevent a man’s seed from entering a woman. It’s inherent function is as a contraceptive. Anything but flesh unto flesh is a contraceptive. He still uses contraceptive, and is therefore sinning against purity.
No, it is an unacceptable, mortal sin. It is not justified.
In short, double effect allows you to do good even if it may cause evil; but you may not do evil to cause good.[1]explain why the principle of double-effect does not apply in this case.
I think it is precisely this part, though, that needs a better explanation. You are essentially saying that because wearing a condom while having sex renders the act infertile it is inherently an evil act. However this is also true of having sex while taking the Pill, the pill renders one infertile and so renders the act infertile. If there is to be a difference in the way these situations are treated morally there has to be some real difference between the two that makes the one inherently evil while the other not. Perhaps I am not fully understanding your argument, but so far I still do not see what the difference in the situations would be.(Snip)
But Hokomai also assumes that wearing a sealed condom during sex is as morally neutral as taking a pill. Is this so?
I doubt it.
It is not possible to be open to new life while wearing a device that closes the door to conception. Even if it were possible, the condom interferes with the unitive aspect of marital sex–others have called sex with condoms “mutual masturbation.”
(Snip)
My pleasure!Thank you for your response.![]()
Generally, yes, that’s what I’m saying–but I think there’s an additional two nuances that bear considering:I think it is precisely this part, though, that needs a better explanation. You are essentially saying that because wearing a condom while having sex renders the act infertile it is inherently an evil act.
I don’t know this for sure, but I imagine a core unitive part of sex is the exchange of fluids–most importantly the man’s fluids into the woman. (Side note: I hate writing about this stuff.)As to the unitive aspect, [is there] a reason is that people are allowed to wear condoms with little holes in them for the sake of collecting semen for medical tests?]
I completely understand that a difference in the circumstances can make a difference as to whether a particular act is ok or not. I’m still not certain that I see what you are saying yet. Especially with 2. Lets take the classic example of double effect, you kill someone in self-defense. It is at the moment that you defend yourself, and in fact with the same action that you kill the other person. With 2 you seem to be implying that the principle of double effect only applies in a case where there is a seperation in the actions. I don’t see how that makes a difference.My pleasure!
Generally, yes, that’s what I’m saying–but I think there’s an additional two nuances that bear considering:
Condoms also don’t always work, but Fred can’t hope the condom will work and keep out his wife’s secretions (preventing disease transmission) while also hoping the condom will fail (making him not totally sterile).
- Contraceptive pills don’t always prevent conception, so Sally can hope the pill will treat her acne while also hoping the pill won’t make her totally sterile.
When Fred has sex wearing a condom, he is at that point preventing conception.
- When Sally takes her acne medicine, she isn’t having sex, so at that point she isn’t preventing conception.
That seems like a fine distinction, but it speaks to the “circumstances in which we perform the act.” (Previously cited by Ron Conte to USCCB Catechism, p. 311-12)
I dislike analogy–especially when we are already dealing with an analogy–but perhaps it will help: licit sex is good, but otherwise-licit sex on your parish altar is bad. Why? It’s inappropriate to circumstances.
Similarly, using contraception in the middle of sex is inappropriate to the circumstances of the marital act even if the contraception is used as medicine.
Yes, well, unfortunately it looks as though the unitive aspect is harder to define concretely than the procreative aspect. We are both throwing out ideas of what that definition might be, but neither of us can say for certain.I don’t know this for sure, but I imagine a core unitive part of sex is the exchange of fluids–most importantly the man’s fluids into the woman. (Side note: I hate writing about this stuff.)
Perhaps it is an artifact of my bachelor status, but I think of sex as a little like french kissing. Kissing through plastic saran wrap wouldn’t be the unitive act unimpeded kissing is partly because there would be no fluid exchange. Touch alone can give pleasure, but not that deeper feeling of connectedness.
-Dave
For number 1, maybe I see what you are saying
That wasn’t my intention. It is sufficient to be open to the possibility of life, among the other requirements for licit sex.except that it sounds almost as though you are saying that one can only have sex if they hope that they actually get pregnant.
The principle of double effect cannot justify an immoral act. Sex with a sealed condom is always an immoral act because the active use of contraceptive devices is inappropriate within the circumstances of the procreative act.With #2 you seem to be implying that the principle of double effect only applies in a case where there is a seperation in the actions. I don’t see how that makes a difference.
Maybe we will just end up going around in circles on this one, but I still don’t see it. I don’t see how you can say that a woman on the Pill is open to life while at the same time saying that Fred is not, both are using a contraceptive device for non-contraceptive purposes. They both have sex and they are for both of them that sex is rendered infertile. Neither of them intends the infertility. I just don’t understand what distinction makes Fred’s act closed to life while the woman on the Pill is still open to it.
That wasn’t my intention. It is sufficient to be open to the possibility of life, among the other requirements for licit sex.
Fred’s dilemma is that he cannot be open to the possibility of life when he is activity thwarting the reproductive mechanism.
This I understand and entirely agre with.The principle of double effect cannot justify an immoral act.
What I don’t understand, as noted earlier, is why the active use of a contraceptive can be ok with the Pill, but is apparantly always wrong with a condom. The reason you gave here is that the act of taking the Pill is a completely seperate act from that of having sex, and claiming that that is what makes the principle of double effect apply. However, for the principle of double-effect there is no necessity that more than one act be involved. In fact, the whole principle of double-effect is based upon the fact that one single action can have multiple consequances. Take the case where a man kills an intruder in self defense. The man sees the intruder, and shoots him in self-defense. There is only one act involved, the man shoots the intruder to protect himself. This act ends up killing the intruder. Because of the principle of double-effect, ie, two different effects from the same action, one intended the other not, he is not held culpable for the death of the intruder, that was an unintended consequance of his action of self-defense. Similarly, so it would seem, Fred wears a condom, one act, which has two effects, 1 protects from disease, 2 artificially removes fertility from sex. He intends only the first and so acts for the first, the second is merely an unintended consequance of his action. Since protecting oneself against disease is a good action, not an inherently evil action, the question still remains as to why the principle of double-effect doesn’t come into play in this instance as well?Sex with a sealed condom is always an immoral act because the active use of contraceptive devices is inappropriate within the circumstances of the procreative act.
-Dave
You’re welcome. Thank you for starting such an intellectually-challenging thread.Thank you Harding and Thewanderer for your most interesting and too-the-point debate.
Please see Humanae Vitae (a Church document)I read through all the pages here and am still confused about a couple things.
Does not the Church declare contraceptives to be inherently evil? If the action of consuming a contraceptive drug is inherently evil, even if the intention of the act is not for contraception but is in fact for medicinal purposes, in no way can one say this satisfies the law of double-effect. To satisfy the law of double effect, the action must not be in itself inherently evil.
I see how people can rationalize that the action is not in fact consuming a contraceptive, but rather the action is simply consuming a pill. I feel like like this is a reductionist approach. In a similar fashion, the action of me killing an innocent human being in cold blood with a gun is not killing an innocent human being in cold blood with a gun, but rather it is simply me pulling the trigger of a gun, which in itself is not inherently evil. I think this argument is a sneaky attempt at circumventing morality, reducing that which we know to be evil as simply neutral. I’m not sure if I buy it.
I’m not sure if we have the authority to speak on such an issue. Does anyone have any sort of document by Popes or Church officials, specifically stating the morality of contraceptive use in medicinal practices?
vatican.va/holy_father/paul_vi/encyclicals/documents/hf_p-vi_enc_25071968_humanae-vitae_en.html15. On the other hand, the Church does not consider at all illicit the use of those therapeutic means necessary to cure bodily diseases, even if a foreseeable impediment to procreation should result there from—provided such impediment is not directly intended for any motive whatsoever.
But this was not talking about contraceptives right? Or was it? Surely the Church doesn’t consider medical treatment in general to be inherently evil, so such a statement in Humanae Vitae makes sense. But doesn’t She also specify that consumption of contraceptives are inherently evil? I would assume then that this statement couldn’t apply to that which is indeed inherently evil, such as abortion, as it would violate the law of double effect.Please see Humanae Vitae (a Church document)
This is probably not intended to comprehensively cover the case of what if the treatment has killing the child as a side effect, like say chemotherapy for cancer. I’d just use this passage for contraception as a side effect.
Lawful Therapeutic Means
15. On the other hand, the Church does not consider at all illicit the use of those therapeutic means necessary to cure bodily diseases, even if a foreseeable impediment to procreation should result there from—provided such impediment is not directly intended for any motive whatsoever.
Well, setting aside arguments as to whether or not the Pill is an abortificient for now, and how that would effect things.But this was not talking about contraceptives right? Or was it? Surely the Church doesn’t consider medical treatment in general to be inherently evil, so such a statement in Humanae Vitae makes sense. But doesn’t She also specify that consumption of contraceptives are inherently evil? I would assume then that this statement couldn’t apply to that which is indeed inherently evil, such as abortion, as it would violate the law of double effect.
Even if you consume a contraceptive without your intent being an impediment to procreation, the fact remains that the drug is designed for that exact impediment. Even if you get an abortion without your intent being to kill the child, rather you want to save your own life, that doesn’t change the fact that the abortion’s purpose is indeed to kill the child.
I’m really not trying to be argumentative, I’m just struggling to understand this.
OP, I second this. I love being able to have interesting intellectual conversations.You’re welcome. Thank you for starting such an intellectually-challenging thread.
-Dave
First, be sure to read thewander’s reply to you also.But this was not talking about contraceptives right? Or was it? Surely the Church doesn’t consider medical treatment in general to be inherently evil, so such a statement in Humanae Vitae makes sense. But doesn’t She also specify that consumption of contraceptives are inherently evil?
Double effect requires the the means be okay to do (this is a partial description of double effect, not a full description). So if the means are not okay to do, you can’t do it. However, some means are okay, but have undesired effects. Removing a uterus is an okay means if the uterus is killing the woman with cancer, but removing the uterus can have unwanted effects, like the woman becomes sterile, or a baby might die if it turns out that she is pregnant at the time, or she dies on the table from anesthesia problems. Sometimes the unwanted effects outweigh fairness or the like, so we still can’t do it. Sometimes they don’t.I would assume then that this statement couldn’t apply to that which is indeed inherently evil, such as abortion, as it would violate the law of double effect.