Confess something I'm unsure of

  • Thread starter Thread starter jongenaro
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jongenaro

Guest
Should I confess a sin that I may have committed but am not totally sure? and should I confess sins that I have a hard time remembering if I committed or not? Thanks and God Bless!
 
Should I confess a sin that I may have committed but am not totally sure? and should I confess sins that I have a hard time remembering if I committed or not? Thanks and God Bless!
You framed the same question twice. Simply tell the priest there may be other sins that you have forgotten and he will forgive the sins you have stated as well as the ones you have failed to remember
 
Should I confess a sin that I may have committed but am not totally sure? and should I confess sins that I have a hard time remembering if I committed or not? Thanks and God Bless!
only mortal sins must be confessed (and in number and kind)

no venial sin needs be confessed. they can be forgiven in other ways …though it is good and recommended to confess them…at least some of them…

if one is doubtful than one had at the time --a grave matter, full knowledge (sufficiant reflection) and full consent. then one is NOT obliged to confess it.

if one is scrupulous or has a tendency towards scruples or has scruples in some degree then it is advised that one not confess a doubtful sin either a doubtful mortal or a doubtful venial sin.

if one has finds himself confessing doubtful things all the time …then it may be best not to. or he may find himself with scruples if not already…

if one is does not have yet a good formation in the Faith --it can be very good to confes it and thus speak with the priest about it and get more informed or advice.

and of course if it is a sexual sin --but one is not sure if all the three aspects were met --it can be good to confess it and seek advice for this can be a tricky and difficult area and the matter in sexual sins is grave (lust, pornogrpic, fornication etc --things though against modesty are not neccesarily grave )…though one can not have full knowledge or full consent…

AND IF IT IS DOUBTFUL --AND ONE DOES CONFESS IT, ONE NEEDS TO SAY IT IS DOUBTFUL …FOR IT IS NOT CERTAIN AND SHOULD NOT BE CONFESSED AS CERTAIN WHEN IT IS NOT…

So what needs be confessed strictly?

if mortal -yes.

If venial – nope.

if doubtful “sin” either doubtful “mortal” or doubtful at all …nope.

if one is lax -or in need of advice etc (see above) and it is a doubtful ‘mortal’ sin – it can be good to mention it–but as doubtful.

if one is scrupulous or have a tendency etc that way-- and it is doubtful --it is advised not to.

 
PS – but for one without scruple…it can still be very good to bring something that is doubtful up in confession espec. if it is bothering you…of course telling the priest you are not sure…

and it can possibly be good even for those with scruples…but they should work with their confessor …though generally the scrupulous are encouraged not to confess doubtful things…for it can do more harm…but then again one may have a good question that can be settled by the confessor…so again the person will be able to work these things out with their confessor…

but one is not obliged to confess a doubtful sin and if one does he needs to say he is not sure…and he needs to add something he is sure of and sorry for etc like adding at the end “and for all the sins of my life particularly those of anger” .
 
I’m not entirely certain what you mean, by saying you’re unsure if you’ve committed a sin. I think there are situations we often face where we’re unsure if we’ve taken the best course of action possible - and sometimes with dire results - and sometimes without the ability to discern whether those results were because of our actions or lack of action.
It’s always good to pray to Mary for help in making a good confession, and to ask her to shed light on what you need to bring to Confession. If you still are unsure, you can acknowledge lack of certainty in the confessional. This is, after all, a very personal sacrament.
 
In addition to what i wrote before

It can also be said that:

If a person thinks may have committed a mortal sin and are not scrupulous or have scruples or tendency to them …it can be recommended that you go ahead and confess it (saying it is not certain etc) especially of one is more on the lax side …

A person who is scrupulous however the principle they would go with is that they should avoid confessing doubtful things…so unless it is sure…do not confess it (at least directly)

of course they can intend all their actual sins in the statement at the end of confession '‘and all my sins’…
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top