Confessing Number

  • Thread starter Thread starter 8152187
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
8

8152187

Guest
So a couple of months ago, I confessed a persistent issue with mortal sin I had. Since then, I’ve been praying hard, going to Confession weekly (and sometimes more often) and have managed not to fall into this same sin again. It has recently come to my attention that the Catechism specifically states you must confess the number of times you committed a mortal sin, which I don’t think I did. I think I just listed what my sins were by name.
I also know if you forgot to confess a mortal sin, that you need to confess it at the next opportunity. This was extremely hard to confess to begin with, and I desperately do not want to have to confess it again, especially since I have tried so hard to make sure I never would, but now I’m worried that by not stating a number or even something indicating plurality that I need to go back and confess once more.

Am I being overly scrupulous or is this a legitimate worry that needs immediate tending to? Should I refrain from receiving Holy Communion?
 
…
the Catechism specifically states you must confess the number of times you committed a mortal sin, which I don’t think I did. I think I just listed what my sins were by name.
…
Am I being overly scrupulous or is this a legitimate worry that needs immediate tending to? Should I refrain from receiving Holy Communion?
The number of mortal sins is required, if you can remember it, otherwise it is possible to give an approximation. If forgotten and then later remembered each mortal sin should be mentioned. A mortal sin is grave, voluntary, and after sufficient reflection, being aware that it is a grave sin. There are some mitigating factors.

Catechism
1735 Imputability and responsibility for an action can be diminished or even nullified by ignorance, inadvertence, duress, fear, habit, inordinate attachments, and other psychological or social factors.
 
Am I being overly scrupulous or is this a legitimate worry that needs immediate tending to?
Ask your priest. We can give opinions all day long but they will likely be all over the board, which will not really help you in the least. Ask your priest.
 
Also remember that “number” can also be a frequency.

“I committed X approximately twice a week for the past twenty years.”

As for “it’s so hard to confess” well simply drop that. Confess it and be done with it. You’ll be the better for it. The priest will not bite you.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top