Confessing your sins only to God?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Boxerdog
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good thinkinking, happygal.

So, how does it make difficult for people to confess to the priest whose authority has given to by God? What is the deal of going straight to God and can’t go to the priest then?
**The problem is HUMAN

Fear of rejection, disapproval, criticism, becoz we are talking to someone physically on earth…
Pride is another issues where all humans has, which prevent them for approaching pple on earth. Coz we tends to think, na God is almight of all, human are all sinners…blar…blar…not in a good position to forgive my mistakes…blar…blar…

Thus confessing our sins to others, does put a test to human…or shall i say , you judge your own conscious, coz although you don’t speak out but God’s know!!!**
 
**The problem is HUMAN

Fear of rejection, disapproval, criticism, becoz we are talking to someone physically on earth…
Pride is another issues where all humans has, which prevent them for approaching pple on earth. Coz we tends to think, na God is almight of all, human are all sinners…blar…blar…not in a good position to forgive my mistakes…blar…blar…

Thus confessing our sins to others, does put a test to human…or shall i say , you judge your own conscious, coz although you don’t speak out but God’s know!!!**
That’s correct. The problem is us. Do you see any differences between confessing to a priest and to a person being hurt? or you think you don’t need to confess to a priest as long as you confess to the person being hurt?
 
That’s correct. The problem is us. Do you see any differences between confessing to a priest and to a person being hurt? or you think you don’t need to confess to a priest as long as you confess to the person being hurt?
**Any difference, i would rather not choose to see any difference. No need to be complicated, you are wrong, meaning you’re wrong, still need to choose who to confess…once you have make your conscious clear on taking a step for confession, you won’t need to choose who to confess, for one have taken away their pride/fear to shoulder all the wrong doing he/she committed. Confessing to the victim/priest/God mark your heart to seek for forgiven;) 😉 😉 **
 
As a protestant, I was taught that we are to confess our sins to God AND whomever we wronged – be it one person or 100s.

Also protestants believe in the preisthood of all believers, so the distinction Tom brings up would not be useful in arguing with protestants.
Actually that is misunderstanding Peter:

1 Pet 2:9: But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s own people, that you may declare the wonderful deeds of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light.

Such was the case for Israel as well.

Exo 19:6: and you shall be to me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation. These are the words which you shall speak to the children of Israel."

However both covenants have a separate priestly office, as is evidenced by the apostles letter, in particular Timothy and Peter.

Jesus like Moses chooses the 12 pillars:

Num 1:4: And there shall be with you a man from each tribe, each man being the head of the house of his fathers.
5: And these are the names of the men who shall attend you. From Reuben, Eli’zur the son of Shed’eur;
6: from Simeon, Shelu’mi-el the son of Zurishad’dai;
7: from Judah, Nahshon the son of Ammin’adab;
8: from Is’sachar, Nethan’el the son of Zu’ar;
9: from Zeb’ulun, Eli’ab the son of Helon;
10: from the sons of Joseph, from E’phraim, Eli’shama the son of Ammi’hud, and from Manas’seh, Gama’liel the son of Pedah’zur;
11: from Benjamin, Abi’dan the son of Gideo’ni;
12: from Dan, Ahi-e’zer the son of Ammishad’dai;
13: from Asher, Pa’giel the son of Ochran;
14: from Gad, Eli’asaph the son of Deu’el;
15: from Naph’tali, Ahi’ra the son of Enan."
16: These were the ones chosen from the congregation, the leaders of their ancestral tribes, the heads of the clans of Israel.

Mk 3:13: And he went up on the mountain, and called to him those whom he desired; and they came to him.
14: And he appointed twelve, to be with him, and to be sent out to preach
15: and have authority to cast out demons:
16: Simon whom he surnamed Peter;
17: James the son of Zeb’edee and John the brother of James, whom he surnamed Bo-aner’ges, that is, sons of thunder;
18: Andrew, and Philip, and Bartholomew, and Matthew, and Thomas, and James the son of Alphaeus, and Thaddaeus, and Simon the Cananaean,
19: and Judas Iscariot, who betrayed him. Then he went home;

And Jesus like Moses chooses the 70 to send out.

Luk 10:1: After this the Lord appointed seventy others, and sent them on ahead of him, two by two, into every town and place where he himself was about to come.

Num 11:24: So Moses went out and told the people the words of the LORD; and he gathered seventy men of the elders of the people, and placed them round about the tent.
25: Then the LORD came down in the cloud and spoke to him, and took some of the spirit that was upon him and put it upon the seventy elders; and when the spirit rested upon them, they prophesied. But they did so no more.

Num 11:16: And the LORD said to Moses, "Gather for me seventy men of the elders of Israel, whom you know to be the elders of the people and officers over them; and bring them to the tent of meeting, and let them take their stand there with you.
17: And I will come down and talk with you there; and I will take some of the spirit which is upon you and put it upon them; and they shall bear the burden of the people with you, that you may not bear it yourself alone.

cont…
 
The twelve apostles are the twelve pillars and foundations:

Exo 24:4: And Moses wrote all the words of the LORD. And he rose early in the morning, and built an altar at the foot of the mountain, and twelve pillars, according to the twelve tribes of Israel.

Gal 2:9: and when they perceived the grace that was given to me, James and Cephas and John, who were reputed to be pillars, gave to me and Barnabas the right hand of fellowship, that we should go to the Gentiles and they to the circumcised;

1 Tim 3:15: if I am delayed, you may know how one ought to behave in the household of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and bulwark of the truth.

Rev 21:12: It had a great, high wall, with twelve gates, and at the gates twelve angels, and on the gates the names of the twelve tribes of the sons of Israel were inscribed;
13: on the east three gates, on the north three gates, on the south three gates, and on the west three gates.
14: And the wall of the city had twelve foundations, and on them the twelve names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb.

So we can see that in both, the OT, which prefigures the renewal by Christ in the NT, that the people are a royal priesthood, but that there is also a separate priestly caste. The priestly office is distinct. When we look to the OT we also see who had charge of the showbread and sacrifices (spiritual sacrifices in the NT). It is the priestly office.

Pitting one vs another is not part of the gospel. They both exist with their functions. As in the OT, the royal priesthood, the Holy Nation, did not all act as priests. Neither is it the case in the NT.

Peace and God Bless
Nicene
 
**Any difference, i would rather not choose to see any difference. No need to be complicated, you are wrong, meaning you’re wrong, still need to choose who to confess…once you have make your conscious clear on taking a step for confession, you won’t need to choose who to confess, for one have taken away their pride/fear to shoulder all the wrong doing he/she committed. Confessing to the victim/priest/God mark your heart to seek for forgiven;) 😉 😉 **
So, Jesus told the disciple if what they bound on earth, Heaven will bound and what they loosen on Earth, Heaven will do the same… This becomes useless then? I don’t think so.

Do you think if somebody hurt you and you never forgive them, that means Heaven won’t forgive them? I don’t think so.

Obviously, Jesus didn’t give this authority for no reason.
People are having difficult time confessing with Priest but God because they can’t see God.

The reason is clear - people seem to commit sins right in front of God, but they do it anyway; however, they have problem doing it in front of the people .
 
21Again Jesus said, “Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me, I am sending you.” 22And with that he breathed on them and said, "Receive the Holy Spirit. 23If you forgive anyone his sins, they are forgiven; if you do not forgive them, they are not forgiven."
God has the power to forgive sins. So does anyone God has delegated that power to. Christ specifically delegated this power to His Church with the breath of the Holy Spirit.

It is a mistake to think of it as either confessing “directly” to God or to a priest. In the Sacrament, God is present, with the priest standing in for Christ. Picture Moses before the burning bush. Could Moses turn away from the bush to go more “direct” to God? The Sacrament is like the burning bush.

Finally, note that not only does the Holy Church have the God delegated authority to forgive sins, it also has the authority to NOT FORGIVE sins. In such case, Christ specifically says that such will not be forgiven.

What does the Protestant do then? Blow-off the Holy Church thinking they are going directly to God? The fact is, everyone outside of the Holy Catholic Church is on an indirect - and uncertain - path to God.
 
God has the power to forgive sins. So does anyone God has delegated that power to. Christ specifically delegated this power to His Church with the breath of the Holy Spirit.

It is a mistake to think of it as either confessing “directly” to God or to a priest. In the Sacrament, God is present, with the priest standing in for Christ. Picture Moses before the burning bush. Could Moses turn away from the bush to go more “direct” to God? The Sacrament is like the burning bush.

Finally, note that not only does the Holy Church have the God delegated authority to forgive sins, it also has the authority to NOT FORGIVE sins. In such case, Christ specifically says that such will not be forgiven.

What does the Protestant do then? Blow-off the Holy Church thinking they are going directly to God? The fact is, everyone outside of the Holy Catholic Church is on an indirect - and uncertain - path to God.
You hit a point there – those who say, “I confess directly to God” really mean, “I confess to myself and I forgive myself.”

Beyond the theological reasons we confess to priests is the practical reason – anyone who has gone through the agony of preparing for confession knows that a “private conversation with God” is simply a cop-out.
 
You hit a point there – those who say, “I confess directly to God” really mean, “I confess to myself and I forgive myself.”

Beyond the theological reasons we confess to priests is the practical reason – anyone who has gone through the agony of preparing for confession knows that a “private conversation with God” is simply a cop-out.
Exactly. We should not fall into the trap/game that the Church and Sacraments are an indirect path to God, while Protestants go “directly” to God. They are not going direct to God.

The only “direct” path to God is in His Holy Catholic Church.
 
With respect to the earlier posters comment that James was referring to confessing sins to the priests, the priesthood hadn’t really been insituted at the point. Bishops acted as priests by administering the Eucharist, though they didn’t think of themselves as priests. Don’t forget, the temple was still up and Levitical priests were still operating until around 70AD, when speaking of priests, that’s who they thought of. The role of the New Testament priesthood did not come into full flower until several centuries later
The church teaches us the the Catholic priesthood was established at the last supper, because of their role in celebrating the Mass. Bishops are Priests in this context.
 
You hit a point there – those who say, “I confess directly to God” really mean, “I confess to myself and I forgive myself.”
That’s an excellent point. I hadn’t thought of it that way before, but you’re absolutely right. (No pun intended … )
Beyond the theological reasons we confess to priests is the practical reason – anyone who has gone through the agony of preparing for confession knows that a “private conversation with God” is simply a cop-out.
This is so true.

One thing I’ve noticed about myself is that the only times in my life that I’ve ever prayed to God about my sins in any kind of detail was while preparing to go to Confession with a priest, or while thinking about going to Confession with a priest.

I have a feeling that I’m not entirely unique, in this.
 
Just a thought, not based in Scripture or Church teaching…

I’ve noticed that Protestants, when they’ve committed a serious sin, seem to be in a perpetual state of apologizing to God, begging forgiveness again and again for the same sin, even though they may not have repeated it. They seem to not be able to let go of the guilt that they feel.

Catholics, having the Sacrament of Reconciliation, can go to confession, do their penance, resolve with God’s help not to repeat the sin, and let it go.

I think there’s something about having someone speaking in persona Christi, telling you that your sins are forgiven that is very healing.
 
That’s an excellent point. I hadn’t thought of it that way before, but you’re absolutely right. (No pun intended … )

This is so true.

One thing I’ve noticed about myself is that the only times in my life that I’ve ever prayed to God about my sins in any kind of detail was while preparing to go to Confession with a priest, or while thinking about going to Confession with a priest.

I have a feeling that I’m not entirely unique, in this.
I think you are experiencing what we all experience. My wife of 41 years, an Episcopalian, is undergoing RICA and preparing for her first confession. Believe me, it is a solemn experience she is facing!
 
Also remember, Christ stated, “No one comes to the Father, except by me.” (John 14:6). There are other references in the Bible telling how the Father only forgives sins. God reads your heart. He knows if you are sincere in your repentence of your sins. Jesus (who was God in the flesh) forgave the adulterous woman and told her to, “Go and sin no more.” He didn’t require 3 Our fathers and 10 Hail Mary’s for penance. 👍
 
With respect to the earlier posters comment that James was referring to confessing sins to the priests, the priesthood hadn’t really been insituted at the point. Bishops acted as priests by administering the Eucharist, though they didn’t think of themselves as priests. Don’t forget, the temple was still up and Levitical priests were still operating until around 70AD, when speaking of priests, that’s who they thought of. The role of the New Testament priesthood did not come into full flower until several centuries later.
The Mass and the priesthood were instituted at the Last Supper. Confession was instituted by Jesus after His resurrection. “Joh 20:21 He said therefore to them again: Peace be to you. As the Father hath sent me, I also send you.
Joh 20:22 When he had said this, he breathed on them; and he said to them: Receive ye the Holy Ghost.
Joh 20:23 Whose sins you shall forgive, they are forgiven them: and whose sins you shall retain, they are retained.”(Douay-Rheims Version)
 
Psalms 32:4-5 KJV 4 For day and night thy hand was heavy upon me: my moisture is turned into the drought of summer. Selah. 5 I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the LORD; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah.

David was confessing some pretty wicked sin at the time.

I have a very close relationship with the Lord and, when I sin, it grives me…it is a relationship that I have with Him and I go to the Father through my High Priest to be forgiven.

Psalms 51:7-10 KJV 7 Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow. 8 Make me to hear joy and gladness; that the bones which thou hast broken may rejoice. 9 Hide thy face from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities. 10 Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.

Psalms 51:17 KJV 17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.

God took no pleasure in the ceremonial sacrifices and rituals for forgiveness but it was a matter of the heart. Confession was so ritualistic and so formal when I attended the Catholic Church…it was simply an exercise for me. But now I have been born again and have a relationship with the Lord that is very precious to me…I was dead in the Catholic faith.

And once I was cleansed through being born again, I was cleansed forever…For I repented of sin…took my faith out of my own good works to merit heaven, and trusted in the very sacrifice of Christ as the very payment for my sin - I believed on the Lord Jesus Christ as my Lord and my Savior…

Hebrews 10:14 KJV 14 For by one offering **he hath perfected for ever **them that are sanctified.

John 13:10 KJV 10 Jesus saith to him, He that is washed needeth not save to wash his feet, but is clean every whit: and ye are clean, but not all (referring to Judas).

Foot washings are now all that are required…I am, however justified and being sanctified…saved forever - and now I regularly confess to all of my shortcomings and have a heartfelt wrong feeling over my sin…and confess to Him…

1 John 1:8-10 KJV 8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.
 
It was good enough for this man too…

Luke 18:13-14 KJV 13 And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner. 14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.
 
Psalms 51:17 KJV 17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.

God took no pleasure in the ceremonial sacrifices and rituals for forgiveness but it was a matter of the heart. Confession was so ritualistic and so formal when I attended the Catholic Church…it was simply an exercise for me. But now I have been born again and have a relationship with the Lord that is very precious to me…I was dead in the Catholic faith.

And once I was cleansed through being born again, I was cleansed forever…For I repented of sin…took my faith out of my own good works to merit heaven, and trusted in the very sacrifice of Christ as the very payment for my sin - I believed on the Lord Jesus Christ as my Lord and my Savior…
I felt the same way at one point in my life. After I read the Bible all the way through (KJV) I understood, and I had a born-again experience. I confessed my sin, first to God and then to my priest, and I felt like a weight was lifted off of me. I came alive in the Catholic faith as a result of reading the Bible that was given to me by a Baptist. Praise be to God! :amen: :bible1: ❤️
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top