Confession and Exorcism

  • Thread starter Thread starter Thomas1981
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Thomas1981

Guest
Is it possible that confession is a form of mild exorcism? I ask this because when I confess I sometimes feel like I’m been unburdened by something deeply embedded. It seems more than just a psychological experience. It could be the Holy Spirit coming in, but it also sort of feels like something is leaving. Just today I had a close close friend going through some serious problems confess a lot of things to me. I felt like I was absorbing something from him. I felt sick like I wanted to vomit. He said he felt so great after I prayed with him and I could tell that something major happened, his whole complexion changed. Now, I’m not saying this is exorcism like the real deal demon possession like the stuff that only qualified priests can do. But “exorcism” in a different way? Is that possible or am I totally wrong on this?
 
There is some connection between the two.

Confession is like receiving aid from the medic or maybe even the army doctor after you’ve suffered a wound on the spiritual battlefield.

It brings us back to health again much to the displeasure of the enemy.
 
Is it possible that confession is a form of mild exorcism? I ask this because when I confess I sometimes feel like I’m been unburdened by something deeply embedded. It seems more than just a psychological experience. It could be the Holy Spirit coming in, but it also sort of feels like something is leaving. Just today I had a close close friend going through some serious problems confess a lot of things to me. I felt like I was absorbing something from him. I felt sick like I wanted to vomit. He said he felt so great after I prayed with him and I could tell that something major happened, his whole complexion changed. Now, I’m not saying this is exorcism like the real deal demon possession like the stuff that only qualified priests can do. But “exorcism” in a different way? Is that possible or am I totally wrong on this?
Deliverance has to do with evil spirits, but not to be equated with someone who is fully possessed.
 
In his book, “An Exorcist Tells his Story”, Father Amorth states that confession is more powerful against demonic powers than exorcism.
 
In his book, “An Exorcist Tells his Story”, Father Amorth states that confession is more powerful against demonic powers than exorcism.
I’m not sure he said exactly that but something close.
 
St.Paul speaks about the Mystical Body of Christ. That when the body (the Faithful), or one of it’s members is sick (sins) the whole body shares in the sufferings just like an infection in the physical body, the whole body suffers. Then like the human body, the activity in the Mystical Body increases to counter the infection, sin. Prayers increase, even a certain amount of physical suffering to compensate for the temporal punishment of sin. So it’s very possible out of love for another, that one may become an impath, take on the sufferings of another through christian love. There are true stories of saints who have done this willingly. I believe this is one reason why bad things happen to good people, because the Mystical Body is infected. Like Christ who is the Head( and the Holy Spirit is the soul of the Body and the members are parts of the Body )took on the sufferings of humanity.
 
St.Paul speaks about the Mystical Body of Christ. That when the body (the Faithful), or one of it’s members is sick (sins) the whole body shares in the sufferings just like an infection in the physical body, the whole body suffers. Then like the human body, the activity in the Mystical Body increases to counter the infection, sin. Prayers increase, even a certain amount of physical suffering to compensate for the temporal punishment of sin. So it’s very possible out of love for another, that one may become an impath, take on the sufferings of another through christian love. There are true stories of saints who have done this willingly. I believe this is one reason why bad things happen to good people, because the Mystical Body is infected. Like Christ who is the Head( and the Holy Spirit is the soul of the Body and the members are parts of the Body )took on the sufferings of humanity.
Dear Ynotzap…I wonder if you could expand on this, what you wrote above. I am esp interested in which saints did this if you can recall.I would like to read about them.
Thank you, and many blessings, LoveMercyGrace
 
It is St.Paul who develops extensively this theme and represents Jesus Christ as an immense organism, a body, of which Jesus is the Head and men the various members (Epistles to Corinthians, Colossians, Ephesians, and Romans). Christ the Incarnate Word is the New Adam, Head of humanity which is redeemed in Him, and He constitutes with it a body, which is the mystical Christ. This Body in a large sense embraces all mankind, because Christ died for the salvation of all, but in a strict sense, it is the Church, which man enters through Baptism, to be ingrafted onto Christ and thus participate in the super-natural life, which flows from the Head into the members by the action of the Holy Spirit, who is the soul of the Mystical Body. The unity of this organism is so real and deep that St.Paul does not hesitate to say (Gal 3:28) “You are all one in Christ”, as St.Thomas translates, you are with Christ one sole mystical person. Here “mystical” is not opposed to real, but stands for a supernatural reality, although not a physical one. Christ in us, is for St.Paul the great mystery that God reveals in the Gospel: through it we live in Christ, who continues in us His passion, death, and resurrection. On this mystery rest the Redemption and the Church.

I can not immediately recall the saint or saints that have taken on the sufferings of someone specifically, and they were cured. The latest canonized saint that could fit into this category is St.Padre Pio. From the testimonies of different witnesses, and his responses one is led to believe that he took on their sufferings. He certainly took on the sufferings of Christ Himself, by his own admission. The sufferings of many faithful, especially in the lives of the Saints manifest this partaking of suffering for the sake of humanity in union with Christ and His suffering. Perhaps our Book Club members can supply some of the specifics of Saints who took on the sufferings of individuals. Many years have passed, and so has some of my memory.
 
St.Paul speaks about the Mystical Body of Christ. That when the body (the Faithful), or one of it’s members is sick (sins) the whole body shares in the sufferings just like an infection in the physical body, the whole body suffers. Then like the human body, the activity in the Mystical Body increases to counter the infection, sin. Prayers increase, even a certain amount of physical suffering to compensate for the temporal punishment of sin. So it’s very possible out of love for another, that one may become an impath, take on the sufferings of another through christian love. There are true stories of saints who have done this willingly. I believe this is one reason why bad things happen to good people, because the Mystical Body is infected. Like Christ who is the Head( and the Holy Spirit is the soul of the Body and the members are parts of the Body )took on the sufferings of humanity.
Wow. That is fascinating. It is really how I felt at that time. Something like an extraordinarily intense compassion followed by a physical response in me (like being a little sick).
 
Confession is a Sacrament. In this Sacrament, the priest hears the confession is the person in Christ. The penitent is willingly confessing his sins, making resolution of sinning no more, asking for forgiveness and receiving absolution. In other words, the penitent takes the initiative to go to the foot of the Christ asking for help and healing. This process is very powerful. It cleans the house, gets rid of the evil. Therefore, an analogy to a mid exorcism sounds correct to me.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top