Confession and Forgiveness

  • Thread starter Thread starter Randy_Carson
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Uh…I just gave you the answers.
Thank you Libertas and since you are the one who we shouldn’t doubt, because as you said, “I know what I’m talking about”, then we should all just pose our questions to you. Who needs the Pope, we have Libertas!! 👍
 
Would you agree that there is a perpetuity to the office of the apostles based on Jesus Christ breathing on them? Just as God the Father breathed life into Adam, and through His gift of marriage life on earth perpetuates itself, so too the life of the Church goes on after the death of the apostles.
The power to forgive sins and retain sins was given with that life-giving breath of God the Son. That life goes on…therefore the power to forgive and retain.
 
At every mass we ahve a brief period of silent examination of conscience before we say, “I confess to almighty God and to you, my brothers and sisters, that I have sinned through my own fault; in my thoughts and in my words, in what I have done and what I have failed to do, and I ask Blessed Mary Ever Virgin, all the angels and saints, and you, my brothers and sisters, to pray for me to the Lord our God.” Then the priest prays a prayer of general absolution: “May almighty God have mercy on us, forgive us our sins, and bring us to everlasting life. Amen”
You realize that this in no way forgive you of what you guys call “mortal sin”, right?
 
You realize that this in no way forgive you of what you guys call “mortal sin”, right?
No one said it does…and most of us faithful Catholics avoid mortal sin. 😛

Even so this is at least as effective as the n-C confessions that we are regularly told is all sufficient. If that is true then either way we are happily;y on our way.
 
So this means all Protestants are going to hell, because no one can go to heaven with mortal sin :eek:
Then one would say that they have 2 options.
  1. Avoid all mortal sin after sacramental baptism
  2. Join the Catholic Church.
 
You realize that this in no way forgive you of what you guys call “mortal sin”, right?
Not that I typically speak for other people, but reading enough of Randy’s posts on this forum I would feel safe enough saying that I am sure he knows this, as most Catholics do. Common knowledge, common sense.
 
Thank you Libertas and since you are the one who we shouldn’t doubt, because as you said, “I know what I’m talking about”, then we should all just pose our questions to you. Who needs the Pope, we have Libertas!! 👍
I don’t know everything, but if I do not know something I will research it thoroughly and check my answers. I try to give out answers to questions that are in line with Church doctrine to the best of my ability.
And the answers I gave you are the basics of how we forgive sin in the Catholic Church.
Venial Sin : Confession, “I confess…” (Penetential Rite), Sincere act of Contrition, Last Rites.

Mortal Sin : Confession, Last Rites.

Those are the only way to remove us of those sins, to the best of my knowledge.
 
Thank you Libertas and since you are the one who we shouldn’t doubt, because as you said, “I know what I’m talking about”, then we should all just pose our questions to you. Who needs the Pope, we have Libertas!! 👍
Hello??? How is this different from what you do? If Libertas has determined the the Bible says X, Y, or Z, based on your own paradigm he cannot be wrong.
Now if you think you have any foundation whatsoever to challenge him on, then you have to admit that there must also be a source for knowing which of you is right.
Then, of course, you would have to be Catholic.
 
Hello??? How is this different from what you do? If Libertas has determined the the Bible says X, Y, or Z, based on your own paradigm he cannot be wrong.
Now if you think you have any foundation whatsoever to challenge him on, then you have to admit that there must also be a source for knowing which of you is right.
Then, of course, you would have to be Catholic.
Well said my friend, maybe he will just say we should pray on it!
Ahaha. :rolleyes:
 
Are you answering my questions? I’m not sure so here they are again:

Is confession of one’s sins the only way to get them forgiven?

If you answered no to the above then can you give some other biblical examples of how and when sins are forgiven?

Look forward to your answers.
Dude, I apologize. I work occasionally, and the real estate market is heating up as we head into spring. Also, I’m going to focus primarily on the Apostolic Succession thread until we are all caught up…I think I have responded to all posts up to about #240 or so. I haven’t even really followed this thread thus far.

You asked for some thoughts on Confession and Forgiveness and I provided them in the OP. My fellow Catholics can joust with you in this thread for now, and I’ll get to it ASAP.

But time being limited, I’m channelling MOST of my thought into the AS thread.

See? Channelling…worshipping dead saints…I really am a mess. 🙂
 
You realize that this in no way forgive you of what you guys call “mortal sin”, right?
This is correct, and Catholics who are in a state of mortal sin should not receive the Eucharist at Mass until they have been to confession, received absolution and performed the penance assigned by the priest. Receiving the Lord in an “unworthy manner” is in and of itself a sin.
 
Hello??? How is this different from what you do? If Libertas has determined the the Bible says X, Y, or Z, based on your own paradigm he cannot be wrong.
Now if you think you have any foundation whatsoever to challenge him on, then you have to admit that there must also be a source for knowing which of you is right.
Then, of course, you would have to be Catholic.
This has been my complaint of Mr. Scriptura in the thread on Apostolic Succession. He’s allowed to interpret scripture anyway he wants, but my interpretations must conform to his or they are wrong. Of course, he doesn’t have to accept ANY of my interpretations since I am Catholic.

See how this game is played?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top