Confession, Priest and Holy Spirit?

  • Thread starter Thread starter vtech2009
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
V

vtech2009

Guest
Hi,

I was wondering, does the Holy Spirit talk to us during confession through the Priest partially or fully?

When I spoke to the Priest, and he told me I should do x,y,z and also made some comments about my situation now and to come.

I was wondering, is this a person talking, or is the Holy Spirit saying these things?

The Priest told me I need to spend more time with other people as the Holy Spirit talks to us through other people. He also told me I am experiencing some difficult times but I will soon come out of it. Does the Priest have the power to make such prophecies, I mean, what if I don’t come out of it, or what if God doesn’t want me to come out of it?

God bless!
 
Interesting thought… I don’t know but would also like to hear the thoughts of others.

Mary.
 
Hi,

I was wondering, does the Holy Spirit talk to us during confession through the Priest partially or fully?

When I spoke to the Priest, and he told me I should do x,y,z and also made some comments about my situation now and to come.

I was wondering, is this a person talking, or is the Holy Spirit saying these things?

The Priest told me I need to spend more time with other people as the Holy Spirit talks to us through other people. He also told me I am experiencing some difficult times but I will soon come out of it. Does the Priest have the power to make such prophecies, I mean, what if I don’t come out of it, or what if God doesn’t want me to come out of it?

God bless!
Some people do have charisms of the Holy Spirit.

Padre Pio could read souls, tell them their sins, and prophecy about them.

It depends, was it the Holy Spirit, or just human advice

It could be either.

Some priests are brilliant at giving Jesus directions to you.
 
The words of absolution are all that I would say with confidence come straight from God through the priest.
 
I don’t know if all priests can do this, but some can. Or perhaps the better way to word it is the Holy Spirit chooses to work through some priests in that manner. Someone else mentioned Padre Pio. I had heard a talk by another priest who had mentioned that sometimes when hearing confessions things would just pop out of his mouth such as, “how long have you been living with your girlfriend?” that would stun both him and the parishioner saying confession.
 
Hi,

The Priest told me I need to spend more time with other people as the Holy Spirit talks to us through other people. He also told me I am experiencing some difficult times but I will soon come out of it. Does the Priest have the power to make such prophecies, I mean, what if I don’t come out of it, or what if God doesn’t want me to come out of it?

God bless!
I wouldn’t consider telling you to spend more time with people as prophecy - that’s just good practical advice. To say that the Holy Spirit talks through other people, well yes, anyone at anytime may say something that is pertinent to whatever problems you have. Again, it just happens sometimes. To say that you will soon come out of difficulties - well, maybe he was just being encouraging - kind of like just saying problems don’t last forever.
 
Often when I am waiting in the confessional line, I pray for the priest.
Each of us has been given specific gifts of the Holy Spirit by virtue of the Sacraments that we have received.
Beyond the gifts received by the Holy Spirit through the Sacrament of Holy Orders, the priest also has developed listening and helping skills through practice and time in his vocation.
Each penitent has needs that are unique and known only to God. What he confesses remains between him and God. Many priests have spoken about the unique gift they have of forgetfulness. The priest remains the instrument that God uses.
My prayer is always that the Holy Spirit guide the priest. God may indeed give him unique insight during the Sacrament. It is something that I have experienced.
Thinking once that I was going just going for a “quick confession,” I spent more time in the Sacrament of Reconciliation than any other time. On other occasions, I may think that my confession will take a long time, and it is quick.
The Holy Spirit may very well speak through the priest during the Sacrament of Reconciliation.
 
Hi,

I was wondering, does the Holy Spirit talk to us during confession through the Priest partially or fully?

When I spoke to the Priest, and he told me I should do x,y,z and also made some comments about my situation now and to come.

I was wondering, is this a person talking, or is the Holy Spirit saying these things?

The Priest told me I need to spend more time with other people as the Holy Spirit talks to us through other people. He also told me I am experiencing some difficult times but I will soon come out of it. Does the Priest have the power to make such prophecies, I mean, what if I don’t come out of it, or what if God doesn’t want me to come out of it?

God bless!
The priest is the “person in Christ” in the Sacrament of Confession. And yes, the Holy Spirit does speak through the priest in confession. I would take his advice. Probably based on what you told him, he thought it’s good for you to have more interaction with people. God does speak to us through other people but we need to have good discernment to know what may come from God.

As for what he said that you would come out of your current situation, why not take it with your prayer and faith? With God all is possible, but without faith, God is not pleased.

Have faith!
 
Often when I am waiting in the confessional line, I pray for the priest.
Each of us has been given specific gifts of the Holy Spirit by virtue of the Sacraments that we have received.
Beyond the gifts received by the Holy Spirit through the Sacrament of Holy Orders, the priest also has developed listening and helping skills through practice and time in his vocation. .
You hit that one on the nose. I am a new Catholic and was full of angst waiting to do my confession for something I was not sure was mortal or venial AND was the third time I was confessing it. I have a tremendous amount of respect for our parish priest but his style is clipped, doesn’t say much, doesn’t ask questions, and just very stern. We only have one priest and it is face to face. I was very anxious, so decided I should ask if it is venial or mortal, but say I wanted advice as to how to avoid repeating my sin. I kept going over and over it in my head.

Well, we had a visiting priest and he was so kind and I even shared how anxious I was and that I was a new Catholic. He told me I should never be afraid of confession, no matter what because that is Satan working to keep us from being humble and going to confession and receiving absolution. He explained why it was not a mortal sin.

I came out of it understanding it doesn’t matter what priest it is, because each of them have their own gifts and it all evens out. But more importantly, we cannot let Satan get a toehold just because we are afraid for whatever reason. I am glad he took the time to explain all of this to me and so when I am in and out before I know it the next time with our formidable parish priest, I will remember what is important.

I really get your point as well. To pray for the confessor is really important, because they all minister differently and carry a lot of responsibility for many souls. They have to really have their own hearts right almost all of the time, so that the Holy Spirit can work through them.
 
Hi,

I was wondering, does the Holy Spirit talk to us during confession through the Priest partially or fully?

When I spoke to the Priest, and he told me I should do x,y,z and also made some comments about my situation now and to come.

I was wondering, is this a person talking, or is the Holy Spirit saying these things?

The Priest told me I need to spend more time with other people as the Holy Spirit talks to us through other people. He also told me I am experiencing some difficult times but I will soon come out of it. Does the Priest have the power to make such prophecies, I mean, what if I don’t come out of it, or what if God doesn’t want me to come out of it?

God bless!
Whatever the source of the priest’s words, he gave you SOUND ADVICE. Please have faith and follow it. Sometimes it’s best to do this. When we run our own lives using our own best thinking, the result is often a mess. That has been the case in my life. If nothing else, doing as he suggested will be a good exercise in mortifying your own will - something we can all practice.
 
[BIBLEDRB][/BIBLEDRB]
I don’t know if all priests can do this, but some can. Or perhaps the better way to word it is the Holy Spirit chooses to work through some priests in that manner. Someone else mentioned Padre Pio. I had heard a talk by another priest who had mentioned that sometimes when hearing confessions things would just pop out of his mouth such as, “how long have you been living with your girlfriend?” that would stun both him and the parishioner saying confession.
Thats interesting. I’ve,had that too: these have only occurred re. truths of the faith. I think these are matters we all need to be reminded of.
 
[BIBLEDRB][/BIBLEDRB]

Thats interesting. I’ve,had that too: these have only occurred re. truths of the faith. I think these are matters we all need to be reminded of.
I pray for the pope, our bishop, and our parish priest every day, because they are just people, people who are special and have unique gifts of the Holy Spirit, but still have human needs and struggles. Our parish priest always says to me whenever I talk with him and as I leave, he always says, “Pray for me.”
 
I pray for the pope, our bishop, and our parish priest every day, because they are just people, people who are special and have unique gifts of the Holy Spirit, but still have human needs and struggles. Our parish priest always says to me whenever I talk with him and as I leave, he always says, “Pray for me.”
This is what Pope Francis reminded everybody when he was elevated to his current position. He is first and foremost a man whose job is pastoral, We as the sheep of his flock need to continue to pray for him.
 
This is what Pope Francis reminded everybody when he was elevated to his current position. He is first and foremost a man whose job is pastoral, We as the sheep of his flock need to continue to pray for him.
Amen
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top