G
GratefulLeper
Guest
Hello
I attended a wonderful talk today about the Sacrament of Confession (basically outlining Vinny Flynn’s Book the 7 Secrets of Confession). It really was a good reminder of the grace of Confession, and helped me realize it’s not only about forgiveness but about healing too.
I had a question for the Priest but never got a chance to ask it. He spoke of the importance of the examination of conscience to prepare us for Confession. However, he also said that excessive self contemplation (naval gazing) can also hinder us in our Catholic walk. He stated we don’t necessarily only want to focus on our own holiness (akin to the Pharisee saying 'thank you God that I am not like that tax collector). My question is how do we know if we are ‘naval gazing’ rather than simply examining ourselves? We do indeed want to focus on ourselves so that we can be as holy as we can be, but how do we know if we are doing too much of it?
Thanks for your help in advance
I had a question for the Priest but never got a chance to ask it. He spoke of the importance of the examination of conscience to prepare us for Confession. However, he also said that excessive self contemplation (naval gazing) can also hinder us in our Catholic walk. He stated we don’t necessarily only want to focus on our own holiness (akin to the Pharisee saying 'thank you God that I am not like that tax collector). My question is how do we know if we are ‘naval gazing’ rather than simply examining ourselves? We do indeed want to focus on ourselves so that we can be as holy as we can be, but how do we know if we are doing too much of it?
Thanks for your help in advance