Confession... Valid?

  • Thread starter Thread starter RuthByzCat3
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RuthByzCat3

Guest
Hey guys,
Today I confessed a heresy and said that I had attributed a certain quality to a layman. This layman was me. Should I have said that and did it invalidate the confession? I’m thinking not because I am a layman, so I did not lie.

More specifically, it was “a Byzantine Catholic layman was fit to do this…” instea of “I was fit to do this…”
 
Hey guys,
Today I confessed a heresy and said that I had attributed a certain quality to a layman. This layman was me. Should I have said that and did it invalidate the confession? I’m thinking not because I am a layman, so I did not lie.

More specifically, it was “a Byzantine Catholic layman was fit to do this…” instea of “I was fit to do this…”
 
Hey guys,
Today I confessed a heresy and said that I had attributed a certain quality to a layman. This layman was me. Should I have said that and did it invalidate the confession? I’m thinking not because I am a layman, so I did not lie.

More specifically, it was “a Byzantine Catholic layman was fit to do this…” instea of “I was fit to do this…”
I cannot tell from your phrasing what was hidden. Without asking for more details about your confession, here are my thoughts:

If you were giving context for a sin, which you did in fact confess fully, than your confession is valid. That is, if you were explaining circumstance and part of the circumstance was that you “were fit” to do something, that in fact any Byzantine Catholic layman, yourself included was fit for, than you did not invalidate your confession. That is, if you hid a detail of the circumstance of the sin, your confession is valid- provided that that detail is just a detail- it is not the difference between a mortal and venial sin.

If, on the other hand, you cleverly concealed a sin, that does invalidate a confession. When you make a confession it must be honest to be valid. You may not have lied, precisely, but you certainly concealed the truth. The only question is, was it a truth that needed confessing (a sin) or was a truth which was relevant but not necessary to your confession.

Only you know.
 
It probably depends on your reason for phrasing it that way, and whether it is an important fact in the sin that you confessed. It seems strange that you would withhold something from your confessor. Confession should be a safe place where you talk freely. If you’re holding back, I think you need to ask yourself why. If you’re embarrassed by something, but perhaps don’t think it’s a sin that you need to confess, talk about it anyway and let your confessor help put your mind at ease.

Only your confessor can properly judge the validity of your confession, so if you have doubts perhaps you shold go back and confess/discuss what you said.
 
Thanks guys. Maybe this will help (and I beg you not to admonish me, I know that this was completely stupid and I don’t know what I was thinking at the time):

My thought at the time:
I’m more worthy to do the Consecration than a Roman Catholic priest.

My confession:
  • that a Byzantine Catholic layman was more worthy to do the Consecration than a Roman Catholic priest.
Complete and utter folly, I know. And I’d really rather not revisit this one. So do you think it was valid?*
 
Does it change the nature of the sin if it refers to you, or to someone else? I think it might be safest to simply ask the priest about this at your next Confession (and go as soon as you can so that you can receive Communion sooner). It’s better to ask and not worry any more, than to worry about this 🙂

God bless
 
Hey guys,
Today I confessed a heresy and said that I had attributed a certain quality to a layman. This layman was me. Should I have said that and did it invalidate the confession? I’m thinking not because I am a layman, so I did not lie.

More specifically, it was “a Byzantine Catholic layman was fit to do this…” instead of “I was fit to do this…”
Dear brother, it is difficult to tell, and particularly to gauge the severity without knowing the specific heresy. If it was something like “I am fit to hear confessions,” I feel that is, in addition to plain heresy, a sin of pride, since you are imputing to yourself that which belongs to the priest, whereas “He is fit to hear confessions” does not have that prideful element. On the other hand, if it was something like “I am fit to view pornography,” (but did not actually view it) then perhaps there is some pride, but I think that is mostly just heresy.

I hope I have been of at least a little help.
 
I thought that a Byzantine Catholic layman was more worthy to do the Consecration than a Roman Catholic priest

vs

I thought that I was more worthy to do the Consecration than a Roman Catholic priest

These two seem different to me. The second may (probably does) involve the sin of pride. It’s hardly a mortal sin either way, so I’d suggest that you are forgiven anyway through participation in the mass or via another valid general confession. If doubts linger, go back and talk to your confessor.
 
I thought that a Byzantine Catholic layman was more worthy to do the Consecration than a Roman Catholic priest

vs

I thought that I was more worthy to do the Consecration than a Roman Catholic priest

These two seem different to me. The second may (probably does) involve the sin of pride. It’s hardly a mortal sin either way, so I’d suggest that you are forgiven anyway through participation in the mass or via another valid general confession. If doubts linger, go back and talk to your confessor.
How is that hardly mortal?
 
Thanks guys. Maybe this will help (and I beg you not to admonish me, I know that this was completely stupid and I don’t know what I was thinking at the time):

My thought at the time:
I’m more worthy to do the Consecration than a Roman Catholic priest.

My confession:
  • that a Byzantine Catholic layman was more worthy to do the Consecration than a Roman Catholic priest.
Complete and utter folly, I know. And I’d really rather not revisit this one. So do you think it was valid?*
Well, I can’t say definitively whether the Confession was valid or not…but my hunch is no, because you withheld an important part of the sin. It is perhaps more serious when it’s about you, because it adds an element of pride.

I won’t admonish you 🙂 but I do think you should go back to the confessional, re-state the sin properly (that you thought YOU were more worthy…), and explain that you confessed the sin previously but withheld that it was about yourself.

If it was just a weird oversight in the moment, the withholding is probably not mortal…but probably ought to be confessed to be on the safe side. If you were intentionally withholding part of the sin for some reason, however, then that’s a mortal sin in-and-of itself and definitely needs to be confessed.

Either way, the best way to put your mind (and soul!) at ease is to go back to the confessional and do this right, so as to remove any doubt. In my opinion, if you confess and have any doubt as to its validity, something didn’t go right. There is no shame in doing it again to eliminate any doubt.

God bless you!
 
My question has been elsewhere answered, but just wondering, does it make a difference whether the person in your example hears confessions or not?
 
How is that hardly mortal?
He had a proud thought, but when he considered it, he abandoned it and distanced himself from it.

So it may well have been venial. Just like those moments indulging on a lustful thought during the moments between realizing it is a sin and finally having the decision to think of something else.

Sure, it’s all conjecture. Only he knows what it was, and it is good to confess it either way.

To the OP:
mention it on your next confession, and say that you changed the wording because you were ashamed of it. Remember that you have already repented, and you have also repented of this omission. So what is there to worry about?
 
you have asked the same question today on two different forums, and you ask questions regularly about the validity of your confessions. You will get no spiritual help or peace unless and until you find one trusted confessor, confess only to him, and bring these doubts and anxieties to him, and follow his advice implicitly on how often to confess, and when to stop repeating past sins, when to stop agonizing about whether on not some minor remark or action is sinful. You do the gravest danger to your spiritual health when you come here for analysis and discussion of your confessions.
 
My thought at the time:
I’m more worthy to do the Consecration than a Roman Catholic priest.

My confession:
  • that a Byzantine Catholic layman was more worthy to do the Consecration than a Roman Catholic priest.*
A further question: how quickly did you banish the thought? Was it in a flash of anger over a particularly abused Mass? Remember that a mortal sin requires full consent. Unconscious thoughts that spring forth are not consented to.
 
Talk to a trusted priest. You could give him a call. He will keep it private if you want him to. Then do what he advises. That is all I can tell you as I am not a confessor, just a young Catholic trying to follow the Lord. And after you go to confession stop worrying if you made a honest mistake, bring it back next time.
 
you have asked the same question today on two different forums, and you ask questions regularly about the validity of your confessions. You will get no spiritual help or peace unless and until you find one trusted confessor, confess only to him, and bring these doubts and anxieties to him, and follow his advice implicitly on how often to confess, and when to stop repeating past sins, when to stop agonizing about whether on not some minor remark or action is sinful. You do the gravest danger to your spiritual health when you come here for analysis and discussion of your confessions.
Sorry about double posting. I’ve got a message in my inbox that’s probably yelling at me for doing so. I have one priest who hears my confession (believe me, if you were him, you would wish to just be someone reading my CAF posts), but the next time I see him will be Sunday, and I don’t have the patience to wait that long…
A further question: how quickly did you banish the thought? Was it in a flash of anger over a particularly abused Mass? Remember that a mortal sin requires full consent. Unconscious thoughts that spring forth are not consented to.
Sorry… I meant that to mean what I was thinking over a longer period of time. In fact, and I mentioned this at confession, I’m not sure if I believed it or if it was just a recurring thought trying to get me to believe it…
 
In fact, and I mentioned this at confession, I’m not sure if I believed it or if it was just a recurring thought trying to get me to believe it…
Dear friend, I know what I believe. If you don’t know whether you believed it, you didn’t. Therefore, there was no consent of the will, and thus no mortal sin. You confessed your venial sin, you were absolved, you are in grace. Go in peace.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top