Confession?

  • Thread starter Thread starter 2HunnyBuns
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
2

2HunnyBuns

Guest
Is it normal to feel really nervous/anxious before going to confession? (Particularly when you’re about to confess sins you really wish you never had to say out loud.) Going to confession has got to be one of the hardest things for me.
 
When I have felt that way, I tell the priest I am really nervous. Usually he is very good about that and makes it easier for me. Just think how you’ll feel when you are done! :extrahappy:
 
Definitely. My heart beats so loudly before confession that I’m afraid the priest must hear it. But doing what God wants through all your anxiety is another opportunity to show Him how much you love Him.
 
Definitely. My heart beats so loudly before confession that I’m afraid the priest must hear it. But doing what God wants through all your anxiety is another opportunity to show Him how much you love Him.
Just thinking about going is making my heart beat like that. Ugh. Why must this be so hard? I’m sure this wouldn’t be so bad if I hadn’t forgotten or decided to omit these sins every other time I’ve been to confession. Best case scenario is I’ll sleep well tonight providing my husband gets home early enough for me to go tonight.
 
Write it down! I forgot! One time I was sooooo scared (I did a life confession) that if I hadn’t written it down, I certainly wouldn’t have remembered and it was important to me that I did. I read it to him. Just an idea. But again, thinking about after it is all done can really help with the anxiety…
 
Oh my gosh, yes. I get this deep shame feeling and anxiety. Sometimes I grab an old paper from my purse and write out my sins on it. When I rip it up and it makes me feel that much better. 😉
 
Yes, going to confession can be very nerve racking. Being able to verbally admit our sins, failings, and weaknesses is very humbling, even humiliating.

Remember Jesus was humiliated thru the scourging, the crowing and crucifixion for us for the very reason.

We can never experience it to the degree He experienced it for us. This should give us courage.

Pray to ask for the courage and to be healed. 🙂
 
I so do not see myself writing this down. I’d only do that if I could just give it to the priest to read so I don’t have to say it, but we all know that’s not going to happen. I just have to get it done and over with so I can stop feeling guilty.
 
I so do not see myself writing this down. I’d only do that if I could just give it to the priest to read so I don’t have to say it, but we all know that’s not going to happen. I just have to get it done and over with so I can stop feeling guilty.
YEP! 👍
 
It’s only just. It’s the anxiety we should all feel before committing a sin. Look at it as temporal punishment.
 
I so do not see myself writing this down. I’d only do that if I could just give it to the priest to read so I don’t have to say it, but we all know that’s not going to happen. I just have to get it done and over with so I can stop feeling guilty.
Try writing it down anyway and reading it to yourself a few times. It will make it easier to say if you have it planned out beforehand.
 
Yes I get so nervous I almost talk myself out of going. I started going monthly last Lent and it has helped. But when the priest says those mystical words, “…I absolve you”…, I feel like a white board all scribbled up and being cleansed. I can actually feel the Holy Spirit clean me from the inside! Yea!
 
I know how you feel! I usually write them down. I remember I had one that I was to scared to admit that I avoided Confession for months out of fear. Eventually I just prayed for assistance and set myself so I couldn’t wiggle out of going. I had planned what I was going to say after the one I was scared of and that helped a lot. Prayer helps the most though. 😃
 
I will definitely be nervous, and not just about certain sins. You’re not alone in that regards. I will need to basically write a book to remind myself of everything. Even when the time comes I hope I don’t monopolize the priest preventing anyone else from confessing.
 
I came back to church this year after a long absence and I hadn’t been to confession in 20 years. I never liked confession and never went much to begin with. I made an appointment with the priest at my parish and agonized for a week beforehand. I don’t remember ever being so nervous. Father I am sure sensed that I was anxious. We chatted for a few minutes which put me at ease and then once I started I was fine - in retrospect I got off topic some of the time and offered way too much information. Have went a couple times since then and kept things very short and to the point. I can’t do the face to face confession again though. I am always nervous and that is to be expected. I planned to go once a month and I am certain with more frequency and feeling more comfortable, I would be more comfortable. So far have made it three times since Easter. I will probably go again prior to Christmas.
 
I’m sure this wouldn’t be so bad if I hadn’t forgotten or **decided to omit these sins **every other time I’ve been to confession. .
Be sure to tell this to the priest, too. Omitting a serious sin on purpose is another serious sin that creates a mess. The priest will be more than happy to help you fix it all up. You might be the “big fish” that just makes his day! And you’ll be so happy and relieved, too! I’ll say a prayer for you. It will be fine - more than fine - great!

Betsy
 
Certainly; in fact - as true repentance is predicated upon sincere humility - one might even consider it a literal ‘blessing in disguise’.
 
I went and I feel much better. I don’t know why but I always just feel amazed at how easy it really is to just go and confess. I think that thinking about it too much is the worst part. And I did tell him that I hadn’t confessed these sins before even though I should have for obvious reasons. In all honesty, I didn’t expect the priest who is close in age to me to be as cool as he was.
 
Forgot to thank all of you for the support. I seriously needed it this evening. I’m pretty sure I would have either burst or driven myself crazy if I didn’t go tonight.
 
Forgot to thank all of you for the support. I seriously needed it this evening. I’m pretty sure I would have either burst or driven myself crazy if I didn’t go tonight.
Enjoy the rest of a grace filled Advent and then a Christmas-tide season, HnnuyBuns. 🙂

You will love the joy you feel being in a state of grace at this time of year.

It’s a blessing at any time of year.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top