Confession

  • Thread starter Thread starter Yogi89
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

Yogi89

Guest
I am ashamed to say that I have not been to confession in about maybe 2 years (I am not sure, so could I just tell the priest I am not exactly sure without giving an approximate?), and I haven’t taken Eucharist since last Easter… because I want to confess things that I have done wrong or felt bad. I get nervous about confession, however I feel pure afterwards. One of my concerns about confession is that I might not confess the things I want to in a proper or right way; for example, I might make the sin sound either worse then it was or better, I don’t explain the sin exactly the way it happened, etc. I sometimes am scrupulous and I think too much about things, and I fear that when I go to confession I might not confess accurately. It scares me, and one thing I feel ashamed most about is some thoughts I have had and it might be hard for me to explain it well. I just want to do it right so that I can be forgiven rightfully. Advice please 🙂 God Bless
 
I am ashamed to say that I have not been to confession in about maybe 2 years (I am not sure, so could I just tell the priest I am not exactly sure without giving an approximate?), and I haven’t taken Eucharist since last Easter… because I want to confess things that I have done wrong or felt bad. I get nervous about confession, however I feel pure afterwards. One of my concerns about confession is that I might not confess the things I want to in a proper or right way; for example, I might make the sin sound either worse then it was or better, I don’t explain the sin exactly the way it happened, etc. I sometimes am scrupulous and I think too much about things, and I fear that when I go to confession I might not confess accurately. It scares me, and one thing I feel ashamed most about is some thoughts I have had and it might be hard for me to explain it well. I just want to do it right so that I can be forgiven rightfully. Advice please 🙂 God Bless
Confess all your sins the best of your knowledge. Just say the sin, and any particulars that are necessary. For instance, you could simply say “I committed the sin of masturbation x number of times” and leave it at that. No other info is necessary. But, if you were to confess something like stealing, you’d have to say what you stole, not just that you stole.

I’ve had those few occasions where I want to confess something that’s not so easy to just say “I did [sin] x number of times”, and don’t quite know how to word it so that it would make sense. So, before confession during my examination of conscience, I kind of do a rehearsal for those occasions where I think some additional info might be needed for my confessor to understand exactly what I am talking about, that way when I go in I am clear and to the point.

Basically, there are some times when you can simply be cut and dry, to the point. If you think one thing requires some additional info, then it’s a judgement call. Or, the simplest route: be as to the point as possible, and if the confessor needs any additional information, he’ll usually ask, at which point you can elaborate some more.
 
You mention scruples – it is important for one who has any struggle with such get a “regular confessor” who can guide them…such is the age old practice.

One does not got into too much “detail”…or get overly “descriptive”. One needs to confess all mortal sins in number and kind – I committed murder 2x (and if something changes the kind …like it was your* brother* you murdered or it was the chalice from Church that you stole…).

If one does not know the number after ones examination --well one can approximate according to what one does know…for example if one knows it was around 2x a month for the last 5 years or was round 8-10x or even one may not know that and have to say “many times”, “a few times” etc.

You can tell the Priest your concern about making something sound worse or the other things etc …he can help you…

Do not wait to have a “regular confessor” to go to confession --but do get one soon. 🙂
 
I’ve heard it said before that all divisions on this earth are man made and/or self-induced. The Lord is full of mercy, and all it takes is confession to “get back in His good graces.”

Make a list if you need to, and if necessary make an appointment if you can’t or don’t feel comfortable for waiting for the scheduled weekly time.

Point is, don’t beat yourself up over it, and get in there! 😃
 
My advice is that you get to Confession. 🙂

We can certainly psych ourselves out by all our thinking and analyzing. Just go. If you need help sorting through things, let the priest know. He will help you. That’s what he’s there for.

So put aside the worries about it and go. Go as soon as you possibly can.

That’s my advice. 🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top