Confirmation... Does it matter?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Santos
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Santos

Guest
To be Baptized (born of water and the Spirit) is to be born again, a new birth in the family of God.

To be Confirmed is a maturity of that new life in the family of God, to be perfecting or sealed with the Holy Spirit" … … … to be sealed with the Spirit of “Truth”.

Confirmation is also known as the “Sacrament of the Holy Ghost”, the “Sacrament of the Seal”. From the external rite it is known as the “imposition of hands”, or as “anointing with chrism”.

The Sacrament is administered by the bishop. At the beginning of the ceremony there is a general imposition of hands, the bishop meantime praying that the Holy Ghost may come down upon those who have already been baptized: “send forth upon them thy sevenfold Spirit the Holy Paraclete.” He then anoints the forehead of each with chrism saying: “I sign thee with the sign of the cross and confirm thee with the chrism of salvation, in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost.” Finally. he gives each a slight blow on the cheek saying: “peace be with thee”. A prayer is added that the Holy Spirit may dwell in the hearts of those who have been confirmed, and the rite closes with the bishop’s blessing.

**This is what the Early Church Fathers have to say about this anointing: **

“After coming from the place of washing we are thoroughly anointed with a blessed unction, from the ancient discipline by which in the priesthood they were accustomed to be anointed with a horn of oil, ever since Aron was anointed by Moses…So also with us, the unction runs on the body but profits us spiritually, in the same way that Baptism is itself a corporal act by which we are plunged in water, while its effect is spiritual, in that we are freed from sin. After this, the hand is imposed for a blessing, invoking and inviting the Holy Spirit.”*** —Tertullian (200/206 AD)***

“As Novatian seemed about to die, he received Baptism in the bed where he lay, by pouring - if, indeed, such a man can be said to have received it at all. And when he recovered from his illness he did not receive the other things which, in accord with the law of the Church, it is necessary to have; nor was he sealed by the bishop. And since this was not done, how could he have the Holy Spirit?” —St. Cornelius I, Pope (251 AD)

“It is necessary for him that has been baptized also to be anointed, so that by his having received chrism, that is, the anointing, he can be “the anointed of God” and have in himself the grace of Christ. But in turn, it is by the Eucharist that the oil with which the baptized are anointed is sanctified on the alter.” —St. Cyprian of Carthage (254/255 AD)

**This is what the revelation of Jesus Christ says about this anointing: **

The 144,000 Sealed: “Do not damage the land or the sea or the trees untill we put the seal on the foreheads of the servants of our God. I heard the number of those who had been marked with the seal…” —Revelation 7:1-4

To all parents and godparents
We have an obligation within the family of God to assist the growth of our children and godchildren in their spiritual lives. As adopted sons of God and members of His family, the Church, the baptized must live in harmony with the Family of God. A godparent promises to provide an example of faith to “help the baptized to lead a Christian life in harmony with baptism, and to fulfill faithfully the obligations connected with it” (canon 872).

Let us not fail to fulfill the promises we’ve made to God in the spiritual growth of our children and godchildren unto the Sacrament of Confirmation.

Confirmation… Does it matter?
 
yeah, I read in Desmond Birchs of EWTN’s book that at the end of the age of peace, as the great spiritual and materialistic prosperity begins to collapse, most Catholic parents will decide not to confirm their children because “it’s not required”. Well, anyway, the mystic cited prophesies that those children that are confirmed will be given the grace, in most cases, to endure the persecution of antichrist and be saved as martyrs, whereas, basically all the ones that aren’t will apostatize and be damned. I would surely believe it!
 
End Time Prophecy

"In the days of peace that are to come after the desolation of revolutions and wars, before the end of the world, the Christians will become so lax in their religion that they will refuse to receive the Sacrament of Confirmation, saying, “It is an unnecessary Sacrament.”** —St. Vincent Ferrer (14th Century)**

I agree… the prophecy you gave is one in the same with St. Vincent’s prophecy, and both are definately in line with the scriptual text of **Revelation 7:1-4… **

Trial, Tribulation & Triumph: Before, During, and After Antichrist by Desmond Birch. This is the first I heard of him, his book sounds real interesting though, I think I’ll get it.

I believe the Sacrament of Confirmation is a lot more important then people believe it to be. We lose ourselves in debates of Sola Fide and Sola Scriptura that we forget our own families who are in need of our time and energy. I myself am guilty of this… but I sincerely believe that we no longer have the luxury of time on our side to not address these issues on the importance of confirmation within our own homes.

**What the Word of God says about Confirmation, “Sacrament of the Seal” **
“But the one who gives us security with you in Christ and who anointed us is God; he has also put his seal upon us and given the Spirit in our hearts as a first installment.” (2 Cor 1:21-22)

“In him you also, who have heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and have believed in him, were sealed with the promised holy Spirit, which is the first installment of our inheritance toward redemption as God’s possession, to the praise of his glory” (Eph 1:13-14)

“And do not grieve the holy Spirit of God, with which you were sealed for the day of redemption.” (Eph 4:30)

The 144,000 Sealed: “Do not damage the land or the sea or the trees untill we put the seal on the foreheads of the servants of our God. I heard the number of those who had been marked with the seal…” (Rev 7:1-4)

Thanks spauline, I’m open to anymore reading recommendations or favorite catholic cd’s that you might know about…
 
End Time Prophecy

"In the days of peace that are to come after the desolation of revolutions and wars, before the end of the world, the Christians will become so lax in their religion that they will refuse to receive the Sacrament of Confirmation, saying, “It is an unnecessary Sacrament.”** —St. Vincent Ferrer (14th Century)**

I agree… the prophecy you gave is one in the same with St. Vincent’s prophecy, and both are definately in line with the scriptual text of **Revelation 7:1-4… **

Trial, Tribulation & Triumph: Before, During, and After Antichrist by Desmond Birch. This is the first I heard of him, his book sounds real interesting though, I think I’ll get it.

I believe the Sacrament of Confirmation is a lot more important then people believe it to be. We lose ourselves in debates of Sola Fide and Sola Scriptura that we forget our own families who are in need of our time and energy. I myself am guilty of this… but I sincerely believe that we no longer have the luxury of time on our side to not address these issues on the importance of confirmation within our own homes.

**What the Word of God says about Confirmation, “Sacrament of the Seal” **
“But the one who gives us security with you in Christ and who anointed us is God; he has also put his seal upon us and given the Spirit in our hearts as a first installment.” (2 Cor 1:21-22)

“In him you also, who have heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and have believed in him, were sealed with the promised holy Spirit, which is the first installment of our inheritance toward redemption as God’s possession, to the praise of his glory” (Eph 1:13-14)

“And do not grieve the holy Spirit of God, with which you were sealed for the day of redemption.” (Eph 4:30)

The 144,000 Sealed: “Do not damage the land or the sea or the trees untill we put the seal on the foreheads of the servants of our God. I heard the number of those who had been marked with the seal…” (Rev 7:1-4)

Thanks spauline, I’m open to anymore reading recommendations or favorite catholic cd’s that you might know about…
thank you for your response, Santos.

Yes, the Scriptures you have given are powerful. I agree that we especially need to attend to the spiritual needs of our very immediate loved ones in proximity to us. As for readings, the book trial, tribulation, etc, is a good one. I have other books to recommend that are more just basic theology and apologetics. One I’ve found to be especially helpful that is not fully Catholic, but coauthored by a Catholic, Peter Kreeft, is Handbook of Christian Apologetics. It is very good. I think Peter Kreeft is excellent. I also know that Catholic Answers has marvelous collection of apologetics books, like Surprised by Truth, Born Fundamentalist, Born again Catholic. These are just some suggestions. But maybe you’ve already read some of these?

anyway, blessings to you, Santos!
scott
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top