There are several examples that could be applied as you say to heretics, or those not genuinely Confirmed to begin with. among them would be the council of Constantinople, it’s very last canon I believe.
Yes, the Second Ecumenical Council’s text can be accessed here:
newadvent.org/fathers/3808.htm and its final canon reads, in part, “Those who from heresy turn to orthodoxy, and to the portion of those who are being saved, we receive according to the following method and custom… [T]hey are first sealed or anointed with the holy oil upon the forehead, eyes, nostrils, mouth, and ears; and when we seal them, we say, The Seal of the gift of the Holy Ghost.” This is what the Church still does today, though I think the phrase “The seal of…” now says, “Be sealed with…” or something to that effect.
There are quote from Augustine regarding the imposition of hands, and others that speak of Chrismating Heretics. Again though, I think given the texts (I can try to find them later on if need be) and the way the are structured, one could possibly interpret them as you say (i.e. to mean heretics that were not confirmed to begin with).
That is what I would expect.
However there is rubric from Patriarch Methodius I of constantinople that states that the Lapsed (People that left Christianity), and in this context there can be no room for doubt (i.e. that they were Legitimately chrismated, then left the faith and are now coming back.) These people are anointed with oils again.
I googled Methodius on chrismation, and I found a Wikipedia article that quotes him as saying: “If a child…is in apostasy…let him be [baptized and]…anointed with Chrism.” And: “If…one who is of age has renounced his impending torment…then let him be [baptized] and anointed with Chrism according to the accepted Rite.”
Both of these quotations confuse me, but not quite for the reason you gave. First, in neither case is it exactly clear that he is talking about lapsi. “a child…in apostasy” may be a child who lapsed, or a child raised by a non-Christian. “one who…has renounced his impending torment” is also not a clear description of a lapsed Christian. It looks to me like a word is missing, and it ought to say “one who…has renounced
under his impending torment.” That would be a clear description of a lapsed Christian. I wonder if the person who typed this into Wikipedia made a typo, and I would like to see the original document this comes from.
Another thing confuses me: if these passages are talking about lapsed Christians, why does the text say they should be rebaptized? I bracketed the words it uses to describe baptism and replaced them with the word “baptized.” The original words in the first sentence (according to Wikipedia) are: “let him be washed. Upon leaving the bath, [let him be] girded with a linen cloth.” That sounds like baptism to me. The original words in the second sentence are just “let him be washed.” Therefore, if this is talking about lapsed Christians, Methodius would seem to be calling for their rebaptism and reconfirmation. But I doubt he would call for that, so I would like to see the context to see if I am mistaken.
Wikipedia says these quotes come from “[The] Great Book of Needs, pp 113–114.” I’m not familiar with this book, so I googled it. I found a copy of a book with a similar title at CCEL. Turning to pages 113-114, I found them in a chapter about how to prepare holy oil for the Sacrament of Chrismation. So far, so good. But those pages don’t mention those quotes:
ccel.org/ccel/shann/needs.iv.xv.html (scroll to pages 113-114)
I also don’t see anything from Methodius in that chapter or in the nearby ones. I tried searching in other sites, but so far have nothing. So, I have no context to help me understand the remarks that are attributed to him, or to see if he was even correctly quoted. Wikipedia’s quotations of him use a lot of ellipses and unusual phrases like “let him be washed” instead of “let him be baptized,” and it makes me think he may be being misquoted. I would need to find a more complete translation to know what he said and what its context was. If you have more data on what Methodius said, please post it.
There were several manuscripts of this and the earlier ones mention anointing the person like after baptism, and the later ones add that the words “be sealed with the holy spirit” are to be spoken during the anointing. Furthermore, there exists a fragment from this very same Methodius the I that states even certain Christian heretics are to be Chrismated again.
I think the possibility is remote, but perhaps in his diocese the baptismal Chrismation was not the same as the Sacrament of Confirmation, like we do in the Latin Rite. If that was true, he would have reason to command the Confirmation of converts to the Church from heresy, and of lapsed Christians who lapsed before being confirmed. Anyway, I am still unsure of what he even said, let alone what he might have meant by it. Please provide quotes if you get the chance.
As the earlier cases could be interpreted either way, It seems to me that this should be the lens through which to view the other aforementioned cases.
Do you mean the ones about heretics being confirmed? Since that is not incompatible with Catholic practice, and in fact we still do it today, I don’t see why you would hold the interpretation of those canons to be in question.