Confirmation Name?

• Thread starter Thread starter Ally2k
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Ally2k

I don’t know if any of you can help, but I really need some help to choose my confirmation name. I want to take the name of a female saint who was committed to children and teaching if possible. Any ideas? Also are there any English Catholics on this forum? 🙂

40.png
Ally2k:
I want to take the name of a female saint who was committed to children and teaching if possible. Any ideas?
St. Elizabeth Ann Seton

First and formost I would suggest Mary, Mother of God, but here are some others:
St. Anne - Mother of Mary
St. Agnes
Maria Goretti

I will keep looking for you.

I would second St. Elizabeth Ann Seaton

other goods one would be
St. Frances Cabrini
St. Theresa of Calcutta

40.png
Brendan:
St. Theresa of Calcutta
Brendan, to the best of my knowledge, at this point Mother Teresa of Calcutta has only been beatified, not canonized.

I would second St. Elizabeth Anne Seton. Here is a snipet about her life

“At the invitation of the archbishop, she established a Catholic girl’s school in Baltimore, Maryland which initiated the parochial school system in America. To run the system she founded the Sisters of Charity in 1809, the first native American religious community for women.”

40.png
Ally2k:
I don’t know if any of you can help, but I really need some help to choose my confirmation name. I want to take the name of a female saint who was committed to children and teaching if possible. Any ideas? Also are there any English Catholics on this forum? 🙂
Have you considered the name Anne, the mother of our Mother Mary?

Most teens choose the same names. Why not be unique, and choose a recently cannonized saint? Saint Gianna was cannonized last Sunday, May 16 2004. She was committed to education, and gave up her own life rather than risk the life of her unborn daughter.

gianna.org/

catholic-forum.com/saints/saintgaq.htm

Choosing a “modern” saint will also remind you sainthood is not just for people who lived a thousand years ago; we are all called to be saints today.

Any reason why you want a female saint? You can choose a male saint if you want. It used to be very common among nuns. My daughter chose St. Maximillian Kolbe for her confirmation saint.

When is Confirmation? My students had to pick their names before April!

I like St. Elizabeth Anne Seton too. Or maybe Saint Joan of Arc?

Paul W:
Most teens choose the same names. Why not be unique, and choose a recently cannonized saint? Saint Gianna was cannonized last Sunday, May 16 2004. She was committed to education, and gave up her own life rather than risk the life of her unborn daughter.

gianna.org/

catholic-forum.com/saints/saintgaq.htm

Choosing a “modern” saint will also remind you sainthood is not just for people who lived a thousand years ago; we are all called to be saints today.
I second Saint Gianna – how cool it would be to use the name of a brand new saint!

'thann

In addition to those saints already mentioned, I suggest you check out St. Lucy Filippini, the foundress of the Religious Teachers Filippini, an excellent order of teaching sisters.

Michelle Arnold:
Brendan, to the best of my knowledge, at this point Mother Teresa of Calcutta has only been beatified, not canonized.
Though one can take the name of a Blessed for their Confirmation name as well, so she could still use Bl. Mother Teresa 😉

St. Elizabeth Ann Seton and St. Gianna Molla certainly were the first to pop into my head as several others have suggested.

But I’m from Philadelphia and we have a very special teacher saint to claim as our own, St. Katherine Drexel.

pat

You could always use whatever saint happens to have your name, that’s what I did 😛

I wasn’t allowed to choose a confirmation name (I guess adult converts can’t do that :confused: ) but I would have chosen either Perpetua (martyr and adult convert) or Maria Faustina.

Lucky you and congratulations!

40.png
cholderby:
I wasn’t allowed to choose a confirmation name (I guess adult converts can’t do that)
I’ve never heard that before! :eek: Did they give you any reason for it?

Can we get an apologist to confirm this?!

BTW: Welcome C!

40.png
cholderby:
I wasn’t allowed to choose a confirmation name (I guess adult converts can’t do that :confused: ) but I would have chosen either Perpetua (martyr and adult convert) or Maria Faustina.
While it is still a custom in many places to allow the confirmation candidates to choose a saint’s name, it is becoming more and more common for the practice to be discouraged (and not just for adult converts). It is a custom that was attached to the sacrament of confirmation but still a custom. If you were baptized when you entered the Church and don’t have a saint’s name, you can choose a saint’s name as your baptismal name (not your confirmation name, unless your area still allows this custom).

The reasoning is that we were given our Christian names in baptism; confirmation is the completion of our sacraments of initiation. To more completely link confirmation with baptism, the confirmandi are encouraged to use the names given in baptism rather than adopt a new name at confirmation.

As a personal devotion, outside of the sacrament of confirmation, there is nothing wrong with “adopting” a patron saint. If you wish to privately pray to Ss. Perpetua or Faustina for their patronage, that is perfectly fine.

Hi everyone,
Ally, first I think you should pray to God and ask to be lead to the saint that would be best for you to look for a special relationship. If you are being drawn to a particular saint, you’ll know. This is really a personal decision, but for whatever it’s worth…I third St. Elizabeth Ann Seton.

Question: Any apologist, or anyone who would know…I was baptized Catholic, however, not raised in the faith, whatsoever, I converted I guess better said, reverted and received confirmation and communion as an adult in 2002. We were allowed, actually, told that we needed to pick our patron saint/confirmation name. I don’t know if I understood this correctly or not, but that is something that is discouraged. And if so, what does that mean for my classmates and me who were confirmed together, and even moreso my relationship to my patron saint.
Thanks…
Peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back