C
calebms
Guest
I’m going to be confirmed soon (april to be exact) and I have to choose my saint for Confirmation. I’ve been veiwing the saints for an hour now and I decided to come here for help. Anyone got a suggestion?
I think I might go with my baptismal saint, but I think I might go with St. Christopher, but I need to know if he’s really a saint to be used for confirmation, I heard it’s been argued if he is or not a saint, so now I’m stuck at that.Why not start with your baptismal saint? He or she has been your patron so far and could very well continue.
1: Sure, I’m 13, I’m home schooled, I am a server for my parish, I like to do tea-kwon-do, I love to play computer and video games, I like to fight for my beliefs, and I’ve considered (still not sure) joining the seminary to become a preist.Could you help us to narrow down the possibilities perhaps? Are there any saints which you feel particularly close to? What about the patron saint of your country, or perhaps there is even a notable local saint from your part of the country?
What about me? I wasn’t brought into communion with the Catholic Church until I was in my 50’s I am 62 now. I was baptised at age 26 in a fundamentalist church where they don’t have any notion of “Patron Saints.” They only baptised adults or children who were old enough to “accept Jesus as personal Savior.” I still don’t know what I am supposed to do, if any thing, about a patron saint. I was wondering if I could have John Paul II as my patron even though he isn’t officially a “Saint” yet? It was in 2002 that I converted and he was quite an influence on my decision to convert because of his documentary movie “The Witness to Hope.”It’s hard to suggest someone without knowing anything about you. I know who my favorite saints are, but that doesn’t necessarily mean anything for you.
Why not start with your baptismal saint? He or she has been your patron so far and could very well continue.
If you still want someone else, perhaps you could consider which virtues you’d like to cultivate in your life and find a saint who is a model of those virtues.
It is a very symbolic act for one to take on a new name, though of course you could just keep your baptismal name as SucipeMeDomine said. But confirmation marks a new part of your life - you’re supposed to be mature about your Catholic faith, which I’m sure you are! Scripture has many examples of persons who were given new names to mark their new roles: Abram became Abraham, Simon became Peter, for example.I think I might go with my baptismal saint, but I think I might go with St. Christopher, but I need to know if he’s really a saint to be used for confirmation, I heard it’s been argued if he is or not a saint, so now I’m stuck at that.
1: Sure, I’m 13, I’m home schooled, I am a server for my parish, I like to do tea-kwon-do, I love to play computer and video games, I like to fight for my beliefs, and I’ve considered (still not sure) joining the seminary to become a preist.
2: St. Chistopher, St. Micheal, and St. Anthoney.
3: Nah, I don’t really think I would choose my country’s saint, that’s a little to easy.
I presume you’ve been confirmed? If not, you should ask your priest about that. Although it is traditional in many places to choose another name at confirmation, there is nothing in Canon Law which stipulates that a new name must be taken - Confirmation is a completion of baptismal grace and as such, the baptismal name is sufficient. However, the name has to be a saints name - so as John Paul II is not a canonised saint, you could not choose him as your patron saint. That wouldn’t, however stop you taking the name of Saint John or Saint Paul, or perhaps both (I don’t know if that would be permitted).What about me? I wasn’t brought into communion with the Catholic Church until I was in my 50’s I am 62 now. I was baptised at age 26 in a fundamentalist church where they don’t have any notion of “Patron Saints.” They only baptised adults or children who were old enough to “accept Jesus as personal Savior.” I still don’t know what I am supposed to do, if any thing, about a patron saint. I was wondering if I could have John Paul II as my patron even though he isn’t officially a “Saint” yet? It was in 2002 that I converted and he was quite an influence on my decision to convert because of his documentary movie “The Witness to Hope.”Could someone advise me? Thank you
My middle name is Eugene and I understand there was an early Pope named Eugene I who is a canonized saint! He was pope around the 500’s AD and not much is known about him but he IS a saint!I presume you’ve been confirmed? If not, you should ask your priest about that. Although it is traditional in many places to choose another name at confirmation, there is nothing in Canon Law which stipulates that a new name must be taken - Confirmation is a completion of baptismal grace and as such, the baptismal name is sufficient. However, the name has to be a saints name - so as John Paul II is not a canonised saint, you could not choose him as your patron saint. That wouldn’t, however stop you taking the name of Saint John or Saint Paul, or perhaps both (I don’t know if that would be permitted).
You’re right - Pope Saint Eugene died in 657. He was martyred for the Faith, but as you say, there is very little known about him. Given the time he lived, he wouldn’t have been formally canonised by the Church - in the early centuries of the Church, many holy people were proclaimed saints by public acclamation, as is the case of all the early Irish saints. If I remember correctly, it wasn’t until around the tenth or eleventh century that people were formally canonised by the Church… Obviously, don’t let that put you off Pope Saint Eugene - he is recognised by the Church as a saint!My middle name is Eugene and I understand there was an early Pope named Eugene I who is a canonized saint! He was pope around the 500’s AD and not much is known about him but he IS a saint!![]()