Confirmation Saint

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jerok
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jerok

Guest
Hi, I’m wondering about when the practice of choosing a confirmation saint came into practice?

I’m a male thinking about Mary as my confirmation saint. But I’m just curious as to when people started doing this? Thanks!
 
it probably began in the days when pagans were converted and brought into the Church through baptism and confirmation, and the necessity to give them a Christian name to replace the pagan name which may have had negative anti-Christian connotations. they would have chosen the name of Mary, an apostle or an early martyr as a patron.
 
I think that Mary would be a wonderful choice for you, or anyone!

I chose Katherine of Alexandria as my saint, and it gave quite a shock to my pastor and the bishop, but I am very happy with her and I wouldn’t change for the world.
 
I would recommend taking a mascuine form of the name: Mario or Marion.

The Greek form Panagiotis (from Panagia: All-Holy) would not work in English.
 
My 2 cents: Our Blessed Mother wasn’t named Mario or Marion. If you want to honor her, choose the name for her that’s in the Divine Praises: Mary.

I’m a woman and I chose a male saint’s name for my confirmation name: Andrew. And because it’s my confirmation name, my husband sometimes calls me “Andrew” for fun, and I love it.
😃
 
My 2 cents: Our Blessed Mother wasn’t named Mario or Marion. If you want to honor her, choose the name for her that’s in the Divine Praises: Mary.

I’m a woman and I chose a male saint’s name for my confirmation name: Andrew. And because it’s my confirmation name, my husband sometimes calls me “Andrew” for fun, and I love it.
😃
Yes, but it is still a way of actual naming oneself(I hope that I am not being intrusive). As for any prospective children which I may have, I shall always name according to their gender(likely “coining” names like Maricarme’line). As a man, if I, too, were selecting Her as my confimational saint, I would choose something like “Marius” or even “Marijoseph” as my corresponding name. I feel that “Mario” is strictly for native speakers(and their recent descendants) of Italian, Spanish, or Portuguese.
 
it probably began in the days when pagans were converted and brought into the Church through baptism and confirmation, and the necessity to give them a Christian name to replace the pagan name which may have had negative anti-Christian connotations. they would have chosen the name of Mary, an apostle or an early martyr as a patron.
Thanks. This is the kind of answer I’m looking for. Is there any writing on when the practice to pick a confirmation saint came about?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top