Confirmation sponsor in sin?

  • Thread starter Thread starter newbie9
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

newbie9

Guest
Is it sinful to be a Confirmation sponsor in a state of mortal sin? It’s my understanding you cannot even invalidate your own Confirmation by being in a state of mortal sin (although you receive no Grace until you confess), but I was wondering if there is a requirement for a Confirmation sponsor to not be in sin.

My specific issue is that I am not sure whether I was or was not in a state of mortal sin at the time of being a Confirmation sponsor. This was many years ago and I am scrupulous so perhaps I am creating doubt where they should be none, but I want to confess it anyway (mentioning that I’m not 100 % sure I did it or not) since it was a time in my life where unfortunately I made sinful choices. I just am not sure, outside of the doubt issue, if it’s actually a sin on my part to begin with.
 
The role of a Confirmation sponsor is to be an example of the faith for the person being confirmed. While the state of your soul has no bearing on the sacrament itself, it would be contradictory to accept such a role if you were not to live up to it. Now, if you committed this sin the morning of Confirmation and made a good act of contrition with the full intention of going to confession as soon as possible then you are a good example of the faith. We all fall into that position at some point. But if you deny yourself the sacrament of reconciliation for any reason other that just not being able to get there before the ceremony then you would have to discern if you are the person that someone should be seeking as a sponsor. Basically, your role is as an example and guide in the faith. Are you living that? If not then back out and if so then accept. The state of your soul at that immediate moment may not be indicative of your overall example as a sponsor.
 
I would take this to your confessor.

I sounds to me like you may be being overcautious. If you aren’t SURE you were in a state of mortal sin, then I would go to confession now and clear your mind.

If you are this concerned, I would tend to think that you’ve been a pretty good example to the person being confirmed.

But talk to a priest. Settle your mind.
 
newbie

you actually said
My specific issue is that I am not sure whether I was or was not in a state of mortal sin at the time of being a Confirmation sponsor. This was many years ago and I am scrupulous so perhaps I am creating doubt where they should be none, but I want to confess it anyway (mentioning that I’m not 100 % sure I did it or not) since it was a time in my life where unfortunately I made sinful choices. I just am not sure, outside of the doubt issue, if it’s actually a sin on my part to begin with.
This leads me to think that you are now stressing about something being a Confirmation Sponsor ] which was some time ago.

I would suggest that you go to Confession and talk about this with your priest
 
I think that Teachccd is right on target. Were you content to remain in a state of sin or were you determined to confess it, overcome it and continue the fight to achieve sanctity? That, I think, is more important than whether you were in a state of grace at that particular moment. I am somewhat scrupulous myself. It can be easy to get into a cycle of wondering whether you are in mortal sin or not, debating with yourself whether you should receive communion because you are afraid that you might be committing sacrilege, while at the same time wondering whether you should receive anyway in order to get the graces from it. It’s tough. The only sure way to break out of the cycle is to meet with a priest and confess. That will always put an end to the uncertainty. Confess with a good will and you will know that you are right with God, putting an end to all of the endless worrying and introspecting.
 
I think that Teachccd is right on target. Were you content to remain in a state of sin or were you determined to confess it, overcome it and continue the fight to achieve sanctity? That, I think, is more important than whether you were in a state of grace at that particular moment. I am somewhat scrupulous myself. It can be easy to get into a cycle of wondering whether you are in mortal sin or not, debating with yourself whether you should receive communion because you are afraid that you might be committing sacrilege, while at the same time wondering whether you should receive anyway in order to get the graces from it. It’s tough. The only sure way to break out of the cycle is to meet with a priest and confess. That will always put an end to the uncertainty. Confess with a good will and you will know that you are right with God, putting an end to all of the endless worrying and introspecting.
WOW! You just described me! 🙂
 
Is it sinful to be a Confirmation sponsor in a state of mortal sin? It’s my understanding you cannot even invalidate your own Confirmation by being in a state of mortal sin (although you receive no Grace until you confess), but I was wondering if there is a requirement for a Confirmation sponsor to not be in sin.

My specific issue is that I am not sure whether I was or was not in a state of mortal sin at the time of being a Confirmation sponsor. This was many years ago and I am scrupulous so perhaps I am creating doubt where they should be none, but I want to confess it anyway (mentioning that I’m not 100 % sure I did it or not) since it was a time in my life where unfortunately I made sinful choices. I just am not sure, outside of the doubt issue, if it’s actually a sin on my part to begin with.
Talk to your priest or spiritual director about this.

As you said, this happened many years ago.

That you are now stressing about it seems to indicated that your scrupulosity may be returning.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top