Confirmation Stole?

  • Thread starter Thread starter MariaG
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MariaG

Guest
I have a group of Youth who are recieving confirmation this spring. We are doing it at our church for the first time.

Another group from a different church is going to come and recieve confirmation at our church with us. They asked what we were wearing and asked about a red stole, if we were going to wear one. We had not even thought about practices and what people were going to wear yet! AHHH! (On a postive note, we have been completely focused on teaching about the actual sacrament itself:))

I looked it up online and saw that one can purchase them. But then I also saw, in a document that looked like rules for a particular parish that they were directing that those who were to be confirmed should NOT wear a stole because it was representative of Holy Orders.

I still need to talk to our Priest and see what he wants but wanted to have a little more mind of an informed mind when I do so.

Anyone?

Thanks
 
I have seen “confirmation stoles” in some church goods catalogues, analagous to “choir stoles.”

However, the stole is the emblem of major orders: deacon, priest, bishop.

It should be worn only by them.

Byzantine Subdeaons wear their stoles a particular way. I think I’ve seen lesser ministers in the Chaldean and Assyrian churches wear them in a way that corresponds to their order, but you get the idea.
 
Right on both counts;
  1. It is wrong/forbidden to use them.
  2. They are offered for sale by supposedly reputable liturgical supply houses. [But then they offer Saint Joseph house sale kits too.]
Wish our Bishops would spend some time on the little errors in the Church. 😦
 
I. I think I’ve seen lesser ministers in the Chaldean and Assyrian churches wear them in a way that corresponds to their order, but you get the idea.
Yes, we have a Chaldean Sub Deacon who is a member of our parish. His stole is worn straight down the left side, wrapped around the neck, and straight down the left side of the back.
 
Thanks all! I appreciate the replies.

Just goes to show that just because something is for sale in a reputable Catholic company, that it is also appropriate.

God Bless,
Maria
 
Just a side note, I read through some information from my archdiocese online, something I HAD read before, but didn’t really register because we had no plans to use a “confirmation stole”.

It said they were not allowed.

Thanks again everyone:)
 
Just a side note, I read through some information from my archdiocese online, something I HAD read before, but didn’t really register because we had no plans to use a “confirmation stole”.

It said they were not allowed.

Thanks again everyone:)
I am very happy for you that the archdiocese made a clear statement on this and didn’t leave it open to interpretation. That’s half the battle. Have a wonderful Confirmation experience with the group!
 
I am very happy for you that the archdiocese made a clear statement on this and didn’t leave it open to interpretation. That’s half the battle. Have a wonderful Confirmation experience with the group!
Thanks! I am sure we will:)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top