Confirmation

• Thread starter Thread starter SDA2RC
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SDA2RC

Hi All,

My wife and I are being Confirmed this coming Sunday (Pentecost Sunday), actually, it will be that the Vigil Mass. I was under the impression before that this was going to occur after the Mass. But Just found out last night that this will be during the Mass, at which time he will Bless our marriage also! Can anyone tell me what the process of confirmation will entail? Also, the blessing of our marriage?

We were originally going to be baptizing our children the same night, which is I think why he was going to do it after Mass, but we are putting off our childrens baptism until August. (The Godmother will be at a priests ordination out of town next week, and my wife is having another baby in July/Aug… so we decided to baptize all three of them at once)

Any information, suggestions, etc. on what to expect will be great. ie. Will we recite vows? Will we need to recite or do anything for our confirmation… etc.

Brandon

I do not know about the procedure for confirmation nor of blessing a mariage, but I just wanted to put a word in on Baptism of children. Of course it is a case of prudential judgment when to have your children baptised, but the Church strongly recommends doing so as soon as reasonably possible. So I just wanted to provide some information so that you can make an informed decision.

I have generally heard that it is best to baptize an infant within 2 weeks of birth if possible, and that a long delay should be avoided.

Catechism of the Catholic Church:
1250 Born with a fallen human nature and tainted by original sin, children also have need of the new birth in Baptism to be freed from the power of darkness and brought into the realm of the freedom of the children of God, to which all men are called.[50] The sheer gratuitousness of the grace of salvation is particularly manifest in infant Baptism. The Church and the parents would deny a child the priceless grace of becoming a child of God were they not to confer Baptism shortly after birth.[51]
Baltimore Catechism:
Q. 642. Is it wrong to defer the baptism of an infant?
A. It is wrong to defer the baptism of an infant, because we thereby expose the child to the danger of dying without the Sacrament.

40.png
SDA2RC:
Hi All,

My wife and I are being Confirmed this coming Sunday (Pentecost Sunday), actually, it will be that the Vigil Mass. I was under the impression before that this was going to occur after the Mass. But Just found out last night that this will be during the Mass, at which time he will Bless our marriage also! Can anyone tell me what the process of confirmation will entail?

Will we need to recite or do anything for our confirmation… etc.

Brandon
Brandon congratulations to you and your wife!!! How incredibly wonderful!!! Yes, you will recite the creed, either with the congregation or with all of the other candidates if there are others and then profess in your belief in the Catholic church and all that She teaches. I just finished going through it and it is the most incredible experience ever!! Oh I am so happy for you!!! I was so nervous beforehand, just about ready to toss my cookies, but afterwards the joy can’t begin to be described. One of my friends from RCIA didn’t get confirmed until two weeks later and I told her that and she was skeptical, and afterwards we just hugged and hugged because it was so true! You will just be thrilled. Your sponsor will walk you through the whole process, it’s really not so scary as it seems, they walk you up front and they keep their hand on your shoulder the whole time, and the priest prays over you and blesses you and seals you with the Holy Spirit, oh it’s wonderful, I didn’t appreciate the gift til I was through, but oh what a gift it is!!! I will keep you in my prayers because I know how nervous everyone in my group was, but oh it’s worth it!!!

Your priest will guide you thru it and tell you exactly what to do.
Welcome home!

Thanks everyone… LOL… It will just be my wife and myself… I am assuming that by saying we need to recite the creed, you are speaking of the Nicene Creed, not Apostles? If that is the case… I better get to memorizing it better, I know I will forget it if I have to do it in front of the whole congregation. 😦

Brandon

They give you a copy! It’ll be okay! They guide you through it, and everyone is saying it with you!

40.png
Maggie:
They give you a copy! It’ll be okay! They guide you through it, and everyone is saying it with you!
Who-hoo… a cheat sheet!! LOL

When I went in for my first confession two weeks ago, my wife and I had made sure we memorized the Act of Contrition. We did good too! Only to find out there was a copy of it posted in the confessional… LOL

Brandon

You’re making me laugh… I still bring my act of contrition with me into the confessional!!! And my little cheat sheet of how to do it right! (how pathetic is that?!?) But it keeps me from freezing up, so the priest doesn’t look too askance!! And look at it this way, the creed is printed in the misalette(sp?), so why shouldn’t you be able to have a copy of it too? You’re going to be so joyfilled that you’ll be better off having something to refer to though you might not be able to read through the tears 😉 .

Many congratulations and blessings to your family. I am a bit jealous about the confirmation. I was only 7 years old when I was confirmed, and I cannot for the life of me remember much about that day.

God bless,
oremus

40.png
Maggie:
… I still bring my act of contrition with me into the confessional!!! .
So do I, but I now prefer a slightly different Act of Contrition. A priest gave it to me and since then a second priest endorsed it and started giving it out. Anyone else see this version?

ACT OF CONTRITION
God, my Creator, Redeemer and Live-giving Spirit, I am sorry for all the times I have chosen to behave in a way that is opposed to your love, goodness and understanding. I am sorry for the wrong that I have done and for the right things I have failed to do. I ask for your continued love and care for me.

Help me to make correct choices, those choices that reflect my love for you, my love and concern for those who are part of my life, and for all those who cry out for justice and peace in our world. Thank you for forgiving me. Help me to be as forgiving of others as you are always of me. Amen

John

umm… yeah… I think that I prefer the traditional act.

Oh My God, I am heartly sorry for having offened Thee, and I detest all of my sins, because I dread the loss of Heaven and the pains of Hell, but most of all because I have offend Thee my God Who art all good and deserving of all my love. I firmly reslove with the help of Thy Grace, to confess my sins, to do penence, and to amend my life. Amen.

Why do I prefer this to the one that you gave? It has a clause about a firm purpose of amendment, and another about perfect contrition over imperfect contrition. It also draws the link between sin and eternal punishment better. It also stresses the importance of doing penence.

Hey guys thanks!!! John I like yours alot, I think it’s a lot like mine. Katholish, yours is the one I hear other people saying but they say it so fast I could never get it all… thank you!! I’m going to save both of them (do you think it’s okay to use different ones, depending on what’s going on?) One of the things that I think they’ve (added?) to the newer versions is the indication of sins of ommission… I know mine has that in there the same as John’s, I got the impression that in this world of rampant consumerism, passing by the homeless person needed to be pointed out and realized as a sin just as much as lying or stealing.

Yes, a clause about sins of omission would be a good addition. I certainly would err on the side of saying more than saying less even if it extends the time by 20 seconds. I mean, it is still a relatively short prayer as it is considering all that we receive at the hand of our merciful Lord in the sacrament.

40.png
yochumjy:
So do I, but I now prefer a slightly different Act of Contrition. A priest gave it to me and since then a second priest endorsed it and started giving it out. Anyone else see this version?

ACT OF CONTRITION
God, my Creator, Redeemer and Live-giving Spirit, I am sorry for all the times I have chosen to behave in a way that is opposed to your love, goodness and understanding. I am sorry for the wrong that I have done and for the right things I have failed to do. I ask for your continued love and care for me.

Help me to make correct choices, those choices that reflect my love for you, my love and concern for those who are part of my life, and for all those who cry out for justice and peace in our world. Thank you for forgiving me. Help me to be as forgiving of others as you are always of me. Amen

John
funny, the word sin isn’t even mentioned in it.
I also prefer to call on the Trinity by their names, not by their actions.

40.png
cmom:
funny, the word sin isn’t even mentioned in it.
I also prefer to call on the Trinity by their names, not by their actions.
True, although wrong done to God is by any definition sin.

Good replies…

John

Hi SDA2RC

My best wishes for you and your family!

You must be at your happiest time in your life. I nearly danced out out of Church when confirmed (I am an earlier lutheran, now catholic).

All I had to say at the alter was some “Yes I do”. The priest asked some questians about my willingness to be catholic! It was wonderful. Then I was marked with a cross (oil) on my forhead and I was the first to recieve the Holy Eucarist that day!

:angel1: 🙏 :blessyou:

G.G.

SDA2RC,

Hey there. On another thread gratiasgrace showed a link by SDA’s that was comparing our church with Pagansism…How did you get past that, …there are some interesting claims?!!

Peace and Welcome home 👍

say CONGRATULATION to you and your wife! The road you have gone before you entered the CHURCH can not have been easy.

Glad you made it and I want to welcome you with this little prayer:

"Lord, give us all the courage we need
to go the way you shepherd us,
that when you call
we may go unfrightened.
If you bid us come to you across the waters,
that we may not be frightened as we go.
And if you bid us climb the hill,
may we not notice that it is a hill,
mindful only of the happiness of your company.
You made us for yourself,
that we should travel with you
and see you at last in your unveiled beauty
in the abiding city,
where you are light and happiness
and endless home. Amen

God bless you and your wife, Brandon!

G.G.

40.png
SDA2RC:
We were originally going to be baptizing our children the same night, which is I think why he was going to do it after Mass, but we are putting off our childrens baptism until August. (The Godmother will be at a priests ordination out of town next week, and my wife is having another baby in July/Aug… so we decided to baptize all three of them at once)
I send all my best wishes for all of your children. Hope everything goes well with the mother and the unborn child. 👋

G.G.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back