R
Rita_De_C
Guest
I married someone I wasn’t in love with, but is a very good man. We didn’t have much in common, but I knew he was a good man, so I tried something that made it seem like it was working. I was convinced that the real reason I didn’t feel drawn to him was because I was scared of someone actually loving me. This seemed to help the situation, and we were married. Now it is 20 years later, and I think maybe I was wrong to do the mental gymnastics that helped me love him in the first place. Especially when I read about annullments and what the catholic church teaches. It makes me wonder if I have a valid marraige, if my consent was real, and if I really understoond what was going on emotionally. We were married in the church. and like I said, I was able to convince myself and him that the love I feel was enough. I never fell in love with him, but I think I have grown to love him in the last 19 years. Still, there is this nagging question in the pit of my heart that all the work I do to keep this marriage together is just in vain, because it is not valid, and it is not valid because of my mental gymnastics. If I had truely fallen in love with him, I wouldn’t have had to do anything. Now sometimes I feel like something is missing. I read about other peoples marrital problems on this post and sometimes it helps, and sometimes it is depressing because I see where other people who have been in my situation are now divoriced, and ended up getting annulments, which seems like it makes everything okay. So, if the tribunal found that those other marriages weren’t valid, then mine must not be either. I really don’t want to divorice or get annulled, but here is the kicker. I went to a marraige seminar last week and it actually made me feel hopeless. They way they talked about consent in marraige made me feel like I never really consented to anything, that I actually faked consent too. I don’t know up from down anymore, and believe me, I pray like crazy. I just cant discern Gods voice because of this strange disconnect between what is and isn’t a valid marraige. I am try to follow God, but what if He is telling me that I made a mistake, and that the only way to fix it is to have a tribunal say that there was never a valid marraige in the first place. I think I would actually be happier if God just said “Your Married Hon” divorce is not an option and neither is annullment, because your marraige is valid. But who can tell me that? What if God says this isn’t a valid marraige, I cant expect HIm to give me any graces then can I? And it is a difficult marraige when you are not sure whether your consent or feelings are for real.