Confused about sins.

  • Thread starter Thread starter joyfulseraph
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

joyfulseraph

Guest
I think I might have fallen into some sort of sin of lust in the past a few times or more but I don’t know what to call it. What should I do in this situation? I don’t even know if it’s a mortal or venial sin. If I’m supposed to confess kind and number, how can I when I do not know if it’s mortal, venial, don’t know the “kind” and can’t say the exact number? But it does bother me… of course I can be rather scrupulous at times, I even feel like I won’t be able to say enough for confession my first time, and shouldn’t have communion then, but if I don’t, I’ll never be able to become Catholic.

I also read about the differences between mortal and venial sin, but no matter what someone says to define them, I haven’t been able to understand it yet. I kind of know, but it’s so hard for me to know what venial or mortal is exactly.

Also, if something makes you feel guilty, is it always a sin then? but sometimes I know people can sin and not feel guilty, and then others feel guilty even if they didn’t sin… so confusing.

Is being tempted a sin?
 
Temptation itself isn’t a sin(that’s just a part of the human condition), however, what we do with that temptation is. The question to ask yourself is, “do I catch myself and reject that temptation, or do I ‘entertain’ that temptation?”
 
I think I might have fallen into some sort of sin of lust in the past a few times or more but I don’t know what to call it. What should I do in this situation? I don’t even know if it’s a mortal or venial sin. If I’m supposed to confess kind and number, how can I when I do not know if it’s mortal, venial, don’t know the “kind” and can’t say the exact number? But it does bother me… of course I can be rather scrupulous at times, I even feel like I won’t be able to say enough for confession my first time, and shouldn’t have communion then, but if I don’t, I’ll never be able to become Catholic.

Nah, don’t worry about it. When you start going to regular confession, the priest can give you guidance about such matters. Focus on what you feel the most serious sins are; your conscience is valuable in this area. Confess what you feel compelled to confess; that is your conscience in action. Remember that ALL sins are forgiven during the sacrament of Reconciliation, even if you forget to confess a specific sin or two and are repentant of ALL your sins, whether or not you remember them or know their severity.

I also read about the differences between mortal and venial sin, but no matter what someone says to define them, I haven’t been able to understand it yet. I kind of know, but it’s so hard for me to know what venial or mortal is exactly.

Again, don’t sweat the details. You don’t have to know the difference to get them forgiven. It is good to continue to learn Church teachings about the gravity of certain sins, however. The Catechism is an excellent place to get started. But don’t worry about it. Work towards informing your conscience, and your conscience will guide you. 👍 It’s a lifelong journey.
Also, if something makes you feel guilty, is it always a sin then? but sometimes I know people can sin and not feel guilty, and then others feel guilty even if they didn’t sin… so confusing.

Not necessarily. but it is worthwhile to examine why you might feel guilty about something. For example, let’s say you said something to somebody in a tone of voice that you didn’t intend, and you’re concerned that you sounded harsh to them and that such may have been sinful. What do you do?

Talk to them; “Hey, I didn’t mean to sound harsh the other day, I hope I didn’t sound that way”.

Of course, you’ll undoubtably run into situations where you’ll never see someone again; perhaps you’ll run across a homeless person and instead of, say, giving them part of your lunch you ignore them. What to do? Examine your conscience; think about your INTENT in what you did. There are many times we do things that may seem sinful, but that we were unaware of or at least unaware that we were sinful.

You cut someone off while driving, they run into the curb and bend their rim. Sinful for you? Yes, IF you intended to cut them off to “teach them a lesson” for trying to zoom past you. No, if you had no idea you cut them off.
Is being tempted a sin?
If being tempted is a sin, our Lord Jesus sinned. It’s right there in scripture that he was tempted. But no, being tempted in not sinning; giving in to that temptation IS. 👍
 
For real, I’d say “When In Doubt, Bring It Up,” (as in, in confession.) The priest will be able to tell you if it’s an actual sin or not. I mean, if you felt some lust, but realized it was wrong and shut it down immediately, then you’re probably golden. Best case scenario: it’s not a sin. Worst case scenario: it’s a sin, but you get forgiven, so really it’s a win-win situation 😉

I don’t know if I read your post wrong, but if you ever feel like you don’t have enough sins for confession, read some St. Francis de Sales books. Seriously, you’ll figure out sins you didn’t even know you were committing. This guy’ll get you! …Not in a bad way, but his books are awesome “soul work,” and really good at pointing out and whittling away some attitudes that can get in the way of having the fullest relationship with God possible. Love ya! Good luck
 
I think I might have fallen into some sort of sin of lust in the past a few times or more but I don’t know what to call it. What should I do in this situation? I don’t even know if it’s a mortal or venial sin. If I’m supposed to confess kind and number, how can I when I do not know if it’s mortal, venial, don’t know the “kind” and can’t say the exact number?
The exact number isn’t very important, so you can generalize, like “a few times” or “several times”. If the sin is “looking at someone with lust”, that is what you say. Lustful fantasies, that’s its name.
 
I don’t know if I read your post wrong, but if you ever feel like you don’t have enough sins for confession, read some St. Francis de Sales books. Seriously, you’ll figure out sins you didn’t even know you were committing. This guy’ll get you! …Not in a bad way, but his books are awesome “soul work,” and really good at pointing out and whittling away some attitudes that can get in the way of having the fullest relationship with God possible. Love ya! Good luck
hi that’s often my problem do you know the titles of any of his books?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top