Confused...haven't heard this before

  • Thread starter Thread starter LadyFlynt
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LadyFlynt

Guest
I didn’t want to take away from the spirit of the thread it was in.
this is the season when we all prepare ourselves to welcome Christ again in our lives and hearts and minds.
Did He leave us? When? I don’t understand this statement.

(btw, I don’t celebrate Christmas as it is a pagan holiday and Christ was not born in the winter)
 
I think what is being said is that we are begining to start the begining of the church year. Advent. It’s a penitential time where we due penance to prepare ourselves for the Lord’s incarnation. Of course He is here with us and has come. We receive Him in Holy Communion. But the faithful relive the anticipated experience spiritually again. Advent brings us back to a dark world waiting for the light of the Lord to appear. We share in the former longing of all creation. I think when one participates in a more devout Advent it makes the incarnation that much more Joyous.
 
Who says Christ wasn’t born in winter? If Eskimos (with their children) can camp out in their igloos in the freezing cold, who says shepherds couldn’t?

Ever see footage of Christmas celebrations from Bethlehem? Ever notice any snow on the ground? Didn’t think so - neither have I. It doesn’t appear to be 10-foot-deep-snow kinda territory.

And so what even if it’s not the correct day. If you for some reason didn’t know what date you were born on (say records were lost in a flood or fire or something) wouldn’t you appreciate it if those who loved you picked a day and celebrated the fact that you’d been born anyway?

And it’s not that Christ ever leaves us, it’s that we, being the fickle creatures we are, sometimes leave him (or at least get a little distant and perfunctory). That’s why seasons such as Lent or Advent are an opportunity for reconnection or deepening of the connection with God and spiritual renewal.
 
I didn’t want to take away from the spirit of the thread it was in.

Did He leave us? When? I don’t understand this statement.

(btw, I don’t celebrate Christmas as it is a pagan holiday and Christ was not born in the winter)
Do you celebrate your birthday? It’s a pagan tradition if you don’t know.🙂
 
In Australia it’s Summer. Don’t know the season in Bethlehem in December. Is it pagan if the Church celebrate it in view of Jesus (not santa)?
 
In short, Christmas has much more to do with the Hanukkah than a pagan tradition. However, I am not interested to give more explanation.

Do your own research. And have a nice week.
 
wonderful sarcasm…

You’re right they don’t. They laugh at Christians who celebrate Christ’s birthday on the “birthday” of Tamuz.
 
I think LadyFlynt has been exposed to that stupid book THE TWO BABYLONS. Fundamentalists and Jehovah’s Witnesses trust that book, which falsely claims that “Tammuz” was born on December 25th.

LadyFlynt, dear soul, please do yourself a favor and
read the book THE BABYLON CONNECTION?
(the question mark is part of the name of the book).
It’s available at amazon.com really cheap,
and it utterly refutes the claims of THE TWO BABYLONS and the claims of groups who make similar claims.
It is written by a gentleman named Ralph Woodrow.

By the way, sheep have to eat, poop, and pee in the winter just like any other time of year.

God bless,
Jaypeeto3 (aka Jaypeeto4)
 
I think LadyFlynt has been exposed to that stupid book THE TWO BABYLONS. Fundamentalists and Jehovah’s Witnesses trust that book, which falsely claims that “Tammuz” was born on December 25th.
You are correct. 👍
 
We celebrate the birth of Jesus on the winter solstice because that is when the daylight begins to increase and we celebrate the birth of John the Baptist on the summer solstice, because that is when the daylight begins to decreas. “He must increase, and I must decrease.” There’s a reason for everything 🙂
 
Christmas is a pagan holiday? What an interesting statement. First of all… Christmas is short for Christ’s Mass, that doesn’t sound pagan as the Catholic Church is not pagan. Second of all the word holiday comes from HOLY DAY something that is not pagan either. Thirdly, please show me in the bible where it says what day Christ was born. Also, do you know anything about Catholic Feast days? As far as I know, the Church has never said that Christ was actually born on December 25th, only that December 25th is the Feast Day of the Nativity of the Lord. So, being that you are obviously not Catholic, it is your right to not celebrate a Catholic Feast day. But don’t accuse it of being pagan, it simply is not.

Fyi, much of our modern day customs were first practiced by pagans. Why? Because nearly all the world was at one time pagan. We cannot rewrite history. So if you have a wedding ring take a good long look at it and ask yourself if the pagans who instituted such a practice have ANY bearing on your marriage. Chances are the answer is no. Likewise with Christ’s Mass being set on December 25.

As far as the original quote is concerned “this is the season when we all prepare ourselves to welcome Christ again in our lives and hearts and minds” do not be too concerned. Catholics welcome Christ’s real presence every day at the Mass. However, the Catholic Church maintains liturgical seasons so that we can focus on different aspects of Christ’s life at different times of the year. So, the season of Advent concentrates on the Incarnation, the season of Lent concentrates on His Passion, Easter celebrates His resurrection, and ordinary time concentrates on His life and all of His teachings.
 
Days are not evil in and of themselves. Evil lies in the hearts of men. If you use a day to worship a false-god, you are doing evil. If you use a day to worship the true God and to honor His Incarnation, you are doing good. Don’t be so superstitious LadyFlint–superstition is a sin 👍
 
I didn’t want to take away from the spirit of the thread it was in.

Did He leave us? When? I don’t understand this statement.

(btw, I don’t celebrate Christmas as it is a pagan holiday and Christ was not born in the winter)
Christmas is NOT a pagan holiday. Christmas replaced a pagan holiday. By replacing the pagan holiday with Christmas, the Church accomplished two very good things. 1). It ended a pagan holiday in which people were celebrating and praising paganism (Winter Solstace). 2). It got people celebrating the incarnation of Jesus Christ (Christian Orthodoxy). So, my question for you is, who cares if it is on the wrong day? Haven’t you ever celebrated your birthday on the weekend because it fell on a Wednesday?
 
The Shepherds were in the fields tending at night, which is typical of spring. So I go with the dates indicating Jesus was born on a date close to Easter (April 17). When Jupitor was on the morning horizon (6 BC) an event significant to the Magi

vedicastro.com/jesus.asp
 
Astronomers in those days were well able to tell the difference between Jupiter and an unusual and MOVING star. Incidentally Halley’s Comet would’ve appeared in, I think, 4BC, so that’s a much more likely candidate.
 
Astronomers in those days were well able to tell the difference between Jupiter and an unusual and MOVING star. Incidentally Halley’s Comet would’ve appeared in, I think, 4BC, so that’s a much more likely candidate.
For years I wondered why only the Magi recognized the star. Would others have not seen Halley’s Comet, or a Super Nova? Jupiter on the horizon was seen by all as an unusual sight but the constellation behind it was what brought the Magi, not Jupiter alone. That is why this seems to me to be the best answer for the question.
 
However, the Catholic Church maintains liturgical seasons so that we can focus on different aspects of Christ’s life at different times of the year. So, the season of Advent concentrates on the Incarnation, the season of Lent concentrates on His Passion, Easter celebrates His resurrection, and ordinary time concentrates on His life and all of His teachings.
What a beautiful and succinct summary of our liturgical year. I hadn’t really ever thought of it this clearly. It’s rather like a year long Rosary!

Gert
 
… Did He leave us? When? I don’t understand this statement.
I don’t think He leaves us, but rather, we leave Him.
(btw, I don’t celebrate Christmas as it is a pagan holiday and Christ was not born in the winter)
How sad. You are missing out on one of the few events that can unite the world in good spirit and peace.

Most scholars would agree that Christ was born during the feast of tabernacles, which is around September. But who cares what date we celebrate the birth? I like the winter solstice to celebrate His birthday… for He is the Light of the world (see Jn 8:12). Besides, I’m stubborn, and it’s too embeded in my culture to celebrate Christmas on Decemer 25th.

Merry Christmas, everybody! With the exception of LadyFlynt; I’ll just wish you a Happy Vacation. Geez… who’s the pagan now?
 
It’s rather like a year long Rosary!
Yes, it is!! 👍

Another interesting bit of trivia for you is that, if you attend every Sunday Mass throughout the whole year, and if your pastor preaches on the Gospel lesson at each and every one of those Masses, you will hear all of the major teachings of the Church in the order that we find them in the Apostles’ Creed.

(And of course the same thing will happen if you meditate sincerely on all of the Mysteries of the Rosary in order, as well.)

Is that cool, or what? :tiphat: :cool:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top