S
Sam43232
Guest
Just to clarify where I am coming from - I am a Protestant, and I’ve bounced from not knowing anything about Catholicism to hating Catholicism to knowing more than I used to know and suspecting that Catholics have many things right that we have wrong.
I do still have two things that I really have trouble with, and so I’m curious if anyone has good answers to these questions I have. I’m going to be blunt, but I hope no offence is taken! I respect my Catholic brothers and sisters in Christ.
The first is Papal Infallibility. I know it is limited to statements made about a matter of faith and morals ex cathedra. I understand it on a practical level like Fr. Robert Baron explains in his Catholicism series, where the Pope functions as a sort of umpire for the Church. I have difficulty with it being actually true, though. Certainly prior Popes have made mistakes, and I have difficulty believing that Pope Urban II would not have infallibly endorsed the Crusades, for instance, given the opportunity.
What reasons (from scripture, tradition, plain reason, etc) can be given in support of this?
The second is (no surprise, I’m sure!) the position of Mary in the Catholic church. I’m okay with her being the Mother of God, and having a position of special respect. I understand that Hail Mary is echoing the words of the angel to Mary in the Gospels, and that she’s being implored to approach God rather than having special powers herself. However, other Catholic prayers seem much more worshipful - I recall reading one in a Treasury of Prayers booklet given to me by a nun that involved offering up one’s soul to Mary.
What sort of response would a Catholic have to this?
Thank you for your responses and understanding.
I do still have two things that I really have trouble with, and so I’m curious if anyone has good answers to these questions I have. I’m going to be blunt, but I hope no offence is taken! I respect my Catholic brothers and sisters in Christ.
The first is Papal Infallibility. I know it is limited to statements made about a matter of faith and morals ex cathedra. I understand it on a practical level like Fr. Robert Baron explains in his Catholicism series, where the Pope functions as a sort of umpire for the Church. I have difficulty with it being actually true, though. Certainly prior Popes have made mistakes, and I have difficulty believing that Pope Urban II would not have infallibly endorsed the Crusades, for instance, given the opportunity.
What reasons (from scripture, tradition, plain reason, etc) can be given in support of this?
The second is (no surprise, I’m sure!) the position of Mary in the Catholic church. I’m okay with her being the Mother of God, and having a position of special respect. I understand that Hail Mary is echoing the words of the angel to Mary in the Gospels, and that she’s being implored to approach God rather than having special powers herself. However, other Catholic prayers seem much more worshipful - I recall reading one in a Treasury of Prayers booklet given to me by a nun that involved offering up one’s soul to Mary.
What sort of response would a Catholic have to this?
Thank you for your responses and understanding.