Conscience Problems

  • Thread starter Thread starter FaithRuir
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

FaithRuir

Guest
Hi there.

I just wanted to say something to vent for a bit.
I have serious problems with my conscience, to the point to where it leads me to sin gravely.

I have some pretty bad scruples sometimes, however they can lead me to do serious wrong. I won’t get into detail, but I would do something and then my conscience goes in red flags “You shouldn’t do this” but it could be very distant, or minuscule, but I could amplify it that way to where I can think it is something grave or has the possibility to be such. And sometimes I go through with it with full consent.

I know that wasn’t very clear, I’ll give an example
Today I was playing Smash Bros, good game to play, but then I picked a character, know the specific character design I chose was one I always used, but part of the reason for it was because the online community would always use it, and that purpose was gravely immoral (won’t delve into that).
I remembered this and so decided I wanted to pick a different design, however, I didn’t think I could. At the time I thought I had 2 options, restart the whole game, or proceed and change it later.
I had a pretty decently sized debate within me about it, basically going “The first option is shorter”, I planned to go through with it when another part of me saying “But you’re cooperating this way for longer! Just exit out to eliminate that”, then my faulty memory tells me I said afterward, “Whatever, I’ll do the first one anyway.”
In my moral contemplation i didn’t realize an easier alternative (picking a different skin), and the same happens at other times. I feel awful for these things, I fall so easily
Turns out I couldn’t change it afterward, so I restarted the game swiftly.
I think now that I’m probably in mortal sin, as I violated my conscience, with full knowledge and consent.

Similar things to this torment me often (some situations more trivial), it’s destroying me in many ways, and for personal reasons getting priestly help is difficult
 
Last edited:
I’m not entirely sure what’s supposed to be sinful about what you’re talking about.

In any event, given this and your prior posting history, you really would be well advised not to post these questions here and to seek help offline with your priest and maybe a counselor.

-Fr ACEGC
 
Acting against scruples isn’t really the same thing as “violating your conscience”.

You really should try to get some help for this. Even some general guidelines from a priest would probably go a long way, because having a serious inner conflict every time you consider doing anything is exhausting and spiritually damaging, as I’m sure you know firsthand.
 
Last edited:
“I think now that I’m probably in mortal sin, as I violated my conscience, with full knowledge and consent.”

The conditions of a mortal sin are one: that the sin which you committed is, objectively, grave (there would be NO question that the sin is grave.)…and two: you must have done it with full consent, along with full knowledge of its gravity.

It doesn’t necessarily depend on your conscience, because someone’s conscience can be disordered, scrupulous, or mal-formed.
 
Last edited:
So to sum up:-
  1. you remembered
    2.wanted to pick a different design
    3.not sure if that was possible in the game
    4.Options: restart or continue and change at a future point
Then you discovered after proceeding & playing the game for however long that it couldn’t be changed.

So you’ve already reasoned that there was consent, then had a change of mind at some point. You said you remembered that this character or its actions in the game is immoral which implies knowledge that it is.

But I am not sure if playing this particular video game is considered grave matter. At my age, I’m not into video games so can’t advise you there. But hopefully a priest on this board will chime in.

Regarding scruples, the best advice as I’m sure you’re already aware of is to raise all these issues with your own priest, and whilst you’re wanting relief now to know whether you’ve committed a mortal sin or not and thus obtain relief for the anxiety you’re suffering, it really is the best option to make an appointment and discuss these with him.

There are some books that maybe of help in battling scrupulosity in general, they won’t necessarily help sort out these “predicaments” when they arise though. One is called pardon and peace by Fr Alfred Wilson, even though it was written back in 1947 the general advice is good.
 
Friends, please stop replying to the thread. This doesn’t help the OP. It only encourages the compulsions.
 
Thanks for the advice everyone. I guess what has been freaking me out is that I had thought I was picking the wrong moral choice, that I was deliberately choosing the path that was cooperating with evil, I said to myself that this option would lead to this cooperation and I continued anyhow. I did genuinely think I was doing something wrong this way

I still can’t help but feel uneasy about that though

But if Father can’t find anything wrong in my actions, he definitely knows better than I do that I’m overreacting.
I do need spiritual help, as Arwing said, these problems are exhausting and rarely do me any good.
The game is completely fine to play, it’s one of my favorites.
 
Last edited:
Oh it seems more people misunderstood than I thought.

It’s not the game, the game is completely fine and never normally gives me problems. I just had a problem with how I made a choice my conscience thought was super wrong, but probably exaggerated. Sorry, my writing isn’t very clear.

I cause myself problems similar to this, that’s what’s led to this issue.
 
Last edited:
Yes!!! From one from an older generation that doesn’t have this temptation, leave the video game and all video games alone!! Take walks in God’s nature instead and notice the natural (divine) healing.
 
Why? Surely not all video games are harmful. The same argument could be raised against movies
 
Last edited:
Hi there.

I just wanted to say something to vent for a bit.
I have serious problems with my conscience, to the point to where it leads me to sin gravely.

I have some pretty bad scruples sometimes, however they can lead me to do serious wrong. I won’t get into detail, but I would do something and then my conscience goes in red flags “You shouldn’t do this” but it could be very distant, or minuscule, but I could amplify it that way to where I can think it is something grave or has the possibility to be such. And sometimes I go through with it with full consent.

I know that wasn’t very clear, I’ll give an example
Today I was playing Smash Bros, good game to play, but then I picked a character, know the specific character design I chose was one I always used, but part of the reason for it was because the online community would always use it, and that purpose was gravely immoral (won’t delve into that).
I remembered this and so decided I wanted to pick a different design, however, I didn’t think I could. At the time I thought I had 2 options, restart the whole game, or proceed and change it later.
I had a pretty decently sized debate within me about it, basically going “The first option is shorter”, I planned to go through with it when another part of me saying “But you’re cooperating this way for longer! Just exit out to eliminate that”, then my faulty memory tells me I said afterward, “Whatever, I’ll do the first one anyway.”
In my moral contemplation i didn’t realize an easier alternative (picking a different skin), and the same happens at other times. I feel awful for these things, I fall so easily
Turns out I couldn’t change it afterward, so I restarted the game swiftly.
I think now that I’m probably in mortal sin, as I violated my conscience, with full knowledge and consent.

Similar things to this torment me often (some situations more trivial), it’s destroying me in many ways, and for personal reasons getting priestly help is difficult
There’s nothing grave in choosing the skins/avatars of this cartoon party fighting video game.

Please seek help for your scruples.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top