Considering converting

  • Thread starter Thread starter jgajmom
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jgajmom

Guest
I have been soul searching and am considering converting to the Catholic church. I was raised in the c of C and my husband, never went to church growing up, did get baptized in the c of C before we married. Since then we have both stopped going. I would like suggestions on how to bring up the subject with him. He’s not that religious at all. I know my parents will freak out when they find out. How can I first approach my husband and kids, then my parents. 🤷
 
There are classes you can take to help you make the decision of conversion. My husband and I started the first RCIC (Rite of Christian Initiation of Children) and taught the classes for some time in our Parish. The Catholic Church also offers RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults). The classes prepares the family for the sacraments of initiation – Baptism, Confirmation and Eucharist. If you have been baptized in the Trinity, the Catholic Church will accept that as a valid Baptism. You will need to provide proof of the Baptism to the Church. If you are not able to provide written proof (Baptismal Certificate, Letter from the Church), contact the Church where you are wanting to take the RCIA/RCIC classes and talk about this with the Priest for further instructions.

The classes teach you the beliefs of the Church. This is a great place to start. At the end of the classes, if you decide you want to become Catholic, you may make that decision. There have been several class participants that went through several classes before finally deciding they were ready to fully become Catholic.

You will need a sponsor (practicing Catholic in good standing with the Church) that will lead you through your RCIA journey. If you do not know of someone that can be your sponsor, the parish will provide one for you.

The classes usually begin right after Labor Day and end with the Easter Vigil. This can change with each Parish.

God Bless you and your family!
 
Hi! I saw your posts on the other thread as well. First off, look at this as a new and exciting journey for the truth, not to please others or out of fear or punishment but out of a sincere love of Christ. Also, think of it as an adventure! God has a reason for planting things in our hearts.
I know quite a bit about the coc since my husband grew up in it. Looking back, he cannot believe how narrow that group can be. Very legalistic and more emphasis on social pressure than God. My husband has often says that the coc is not so different in their *beliefs *as the Catholic Church, but they do strip down so much and then try it claim it all as original. Don’t even worry about your parents for now…the coc mentality will tell them that their daughter is damned and its partly their fault because they must not have been “sound” enough in their teaching. Coc has lots of generational blame and expectations. So just put telling your parents out of your mind for now and pursue God’s plan ( I know that can be hard). I would keep it between you and your husband for now. If I know anything about coc baptisms, I will be willing to bet that your husband was baptized out of pressure. They say marriage is the most common evangelization tool in the coc. You both may need some time way from the coc mindset just to relearn how to love God purely. The ex-coc and coc to Catholic boards mentioned on the other thread are awesome. There is a good book by Jeff Cavins called My Life on the Rock. He was an evangelical minster who dabbled in the covenant fellowship church (some coc’s join this as an attempt to leave, but not go far away). You will find that a lot of coc-ers will try and start off-shoots or more progressive churches, but ultimately is ends the same because the question of authrity still remains. There is another well known coc to Catholic that has a book out right now, I can’t think of his name but I will find it and post later.
Have you ever watched EWTN? Cannot recommend it highly enough. If you don’t get it where you live you can always stream it online or stream the radio on the internet.
Marcus Grodi and the coming home network, the tv show the Jouney Home - and they have a great message board on their website too. Also, catholicscomehome.org
Coming from the coc, you probably have a lot biblical knowledge, that is a great starting point so praise God for that - now you can learn about the Church that gave the world the bible. I think the coc almost borders on bible idolatry, where they project their ideas onto the bible and claim it is God’ meaning or they place strict interpretations ahead of grace. They bark about being the New Testament Church but are ignorant that there was no bible for the first 300 years of Christianity. Another small thing my husband find hilarious is that the coc forbids wine - yet we know grape juice was not evented until the “restoration” era so cleary Jesus and all Christians up until the last century in American partook. Oh and how the coc claims to be the origional church yet nobody in the middle east has ever heard or them - they are an American genre of Christianity, invented here in this great land.
Learn about that first 300 years, read the early Church fathers. You may find that the Catholic Church is everything the coc claims to be!
How you approach your husband depends on how he processes information - if he is a fact based decision maker, show him the history of the Church. If he likes moral questions, dive into Catholic social teaching.
 
Adding to Homerunbetty’s helpful post when I was involved in RCIA we always had an Inquirers group which was open year round and which you could join at any time. This group was specifically available to people to ask all the questions they wanted and decide in their own time if they wanted to begin a more formal path to join the Catholic church.

Here is the RCIA page from our last parish in the US to give you an idea of what to expect. hfk2.org/becoming.html
 
Thank you for your responses. I think I will broach the subject tonight with my husband and see what he says. I have a feeling it will be like before, indifferent. He never really got into the whole church thing anyhow. I’m sure he will say do what you want. (leave me out of it). I will let you know what happens.
 
It is probably too late to enter RCIA to come into the Church Easter Vigil 2010, but never too late to go for the information - or join a Bible study.

I, too, would suggest EWTN. ‘Journey Home’ is great. I came into the Church Easter Vigil 2007, and I can relate to many of the guests’ conversion stories, hesitations, obstacles, etc. ‘Crossing the Goal’ is a program your husband may find interesting. It’s supposed to be geared toward men, but, I get a lot of good advice from it - very down to earth. Our priest has a program incorporating Father Corapi’s lessons on the Catechism followed by discussion. You can watch Father Corapi on EWTN. I also suggest Daily Mass, ‘Footprints of God’, ‘Life on the Rock’. It is a good place to get information in house, but not a substitute for going to Mass.

Pray about it. God will guide your words and your steps.
 
jgajmom perhaps you could say to your husband that you have been thinking very hard about life after death.
You have been reading about God and praying to Him and you are feeling drawn to the Catholic Church.
Tell him how much you love him and how does he feel about the future and ‘after life?’
That you would love to investigate the Church together.
As we grow more mature in our lives we contemplate the more serious things in life.Maybe tell him you love him so much you are wanting to help both of you and mostly to help your kids.
Don’t worry about your parents until you have to!
God bless you
 
jgajmom perhaps you could say to your husband that you have been thinking very hard about life after death.
You have been reading about God and praying to Him and you are feeling drawn to the Catholic Church.
Tell him how much you love him and how does he feel about the future and 'after life?'
That you would love to investigate the Church together.
**As we grow more mature in our lives we contemplate the more serious things in life.Maybe tell him you love him so much **you are wanting to help both of you and mostly to help your kids.
Don’t worry about your parents until you have to!
God bless you
Good point. Our priest makes it a point, at weddings especially, to remind couples that love means wanting the best for each other - the best being eternal life with God in heaven.
 
jgajmom - this is wonderful news. Praise God!!! I have been married for almost 30 years to the most wonderful coC woman I know. We have had countless “discussions” about religion, but have yet to agree on following one religion. We have twin sons, age 22, and one is Catholic and the other is coC. 🙂

I am actually the RCIA Director in my parish - a position to which I never strived, but was thrust into it as is our Catholic custom. :yup: I actually learned the most about Catholicism as a direct result of my wife. She (and her church) actually challenged me to learn more. Once I discovered Catholic Answers Live, I discovered I cannot learn enough or learn fast enough. If you have not heard the show, download it ASAP. There are one or two shows a month devoted to non-Catholics only. These should be very helpful.

Explain to your husband that you have felt the presence of God in your spirit. Furthermore, you feel He is leading you to learn more about Catholicism. I would not begin by stating, “I am going to join.” The formal rite to inquire and learn about Catholicism is RCIA. It is first and foremost a learning experience. That is exactly why the RCIA classes last at least 8 months. One has to make sure one knows what they are joining and why the church does all that it does. After learning some of the basic of the faith, you can then approach your parents. I know one coC family whose son left coC to find religion for himself. His point was that it was his salvation and he had to find God where He was, not the other way around. Interesting way of putting it.

Be prepared to get a lot of flack from other coC’ers if you decide to follow through. One of the heros of 20th century Catholicism, Archbishop Fulton Sheen once said that there were probably no more than 100 people who hate the Catholic Church. However, there are thousands who hate what they THINK is the Catholic Church. The misconceptions are wide, varied, and numerous. That is over half the battle. My wife read a paragraph to me out of a book titled something like, “Bible Answers to all Your Questions” about Mary. It was an obvious response to the Catholic Church’s stance on Mary. In that one short paragraph, the author made sound statements, questionable remarks, and just flat wrong comments about the church’s position. The statements may have all flowed, from a Protestant position, but to me they ran together like a demolition derby.

I once studied with a coC minister (simultaneously, my wife and I attended RCIA). He presented me with the coC position of their embarking on the Restoration, a restoration of the original Christian church. However, any honest objective review of history will show that is simply not the case. The original Christian church can be found today in the Catholic church. Go to Steve Ray’s web site, www.catholicconvert.com. He is a former Protestant minister who’s studies of the early church convinced him to join the Catholic church.

Like MercyMia stated, the coC mentality is Bible first and Bible only. All congregations are autonomous. At the local church, the mentality of many is almost that of Bible worship. I once had a discussion with my wife about God’s ability to do anything - ANYTHING - He wanted. The genesis of the discussion was a person who was divorced and their salvation. My point was that, if God wanted to, He could forgive that person and allow them entrance into heaven. Heaven is God’s to give. She kept going back and quoting scripture to show where that was not possible. Her mind would not let go of the position that the Bible is 100% complete and God cannot operate in violation of her interpretation of it. I asked again, couldn’t God do something outside of scriptural guidance, but within His will? She responded that it had to be as shown in scripture. My only response was…wow. Her background and understand just put God in a box. The God I know is limitless - especially in His mercy.

If you are a reader get Steve’s book, Crossing the Tiber. It is his the story of his journey from Protestant Minister to the Catholic Church. Get Patrick Madrid’s books called Surprised by Truth. I think there are three editions now. They are simply conversion stories written by the converts themselves. Very inspiring.

Good luck on your journey.
 
I also suggest EWTN. This forum is very informative and people will be happy to answer all the questions you might have. Pray a lot. Read. (Catholicism for Dummies is a good book to have -clear, to the point, user friendly, etc.)

By the way, what is church of C? 🙂
 
Wow! Thank you all for your words of encouragement. I did talk to my husband last night. As I suspected, his response was, “So, it’s your decision, do what you want.” I had to remind him not to say anything to my mom or dad yet. I also explained to my 11 year old son what I was doing. He, at his young age has already realized that he cannot agree with everything mamaw and papaw tell him. He is very excited.😃

BTW, the c of C is the church of Christ. “THE Church” according to what I was taught. However, I have read much about it in the past two days and I can’t see how they are THE church if it was only founded 200 years ago. So what, everybody before that went to hell?🤷
 
Wow!
BTW, the c of C is the church of Christ. “THE Church” according to what I was taught. However, I have read much about it in the past two days and I can’t see how they are THE church if it was only founded 200 years ago. So what, everybody before that went to hell?🤷
You could also have a look at the writings of the Church Fathers. They are essential for understanding the early years of the Church and the continuity of its teaching. Pope Benedict has written a good book on the subject, I very much recommend it.

Exploring the Catholic faith might feel as being in outer space for a while, since it is radically different from protestantism in all of its aspects. Don’t let that intimidate you, it is so worth it. I’m sure people will be able to suggest good reading material that can clarify things and teach you about what Catholicism is about.

Good luck!
 
Wow! Thank you all for your words of encouragement. I did talk to my husband last night. As I suspected, his response was, “So, it’s your decision, do what you want.” I had to remind him not to say anything to my mom or dad yet. I also explained to my 11 year old son what I was doing. He, at his young age has already realized that he cannot agree with everything mamaw and papaw tell him. He is very excited.😃

BTW, the c of C is the church of Christ. “THE Church” according to what I was taught. However, I have read much about it in the past two days and I can’t see how they are THE church if it was only founded 200 years ago. So what, everybody before that went to hell?🤷
Well done my advice is just take small steps with regards your husband.Just keep talking to him in positive tones about ‘deep and menaingful things in life’.About how much you have been inspired by what you have learned.(As you learn things).Drop the odd invite for him to come to Mass with you and your son etc.But do things really gradually and slowly.Eventually he will be inspired I am sure to follow your example.God bless you on your journey.Have you spoken to a priest yet?Or attended a Mass yet?
 
I have been soul searching and am considering converting to the Catholic church. I was raised in the c of C and my husband, never went to church growing up, did get baptized in the c of C before we married. Since then we have both stopped going. I would like suggestions on how to bring up the subject with him. He’s not that religious at all. I know my parents will freak out when they find out. How can I first approach my husband and kids, then my parents. 🤷
Before diving into catholicism, I would suggest you find out what the issues are that divide catholics from evangelicals. There are many and they are very serious. Read the study carefully and prayerfully the book of Romans which is the quintessential instruction on how mankind is made right with God. Speak to your mom and dad’s pastor about this as well.

“Now when a man works, his wages are not credited to him as a gift, but as an obligation. However, to the man who does not work but trusts God who justifies the wicked, his faith is credited as righteousness.” (Romans 4:4-5)

“Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand.” (Romans 5:1-2)

“For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast.” (Ephesians 2:8-9)

“For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.” (John 3:16)
 
Before diving into catholicism, I would suggest you find out what the issues are that divide catholics from evangelicals. There are many and they are very serious. Read the study carefully and prayerfully the book of Romans which is the quintessential instruction on how mankind is made right with God. Speak to your mom and dad’s pastor about this as well.

“Now when a man works, his wages are not credited to him as a gift, but as an obligation. However, to the man who does not work but trusts God who justifies the wicked, his faith is credited as righteousness.” (Romans 4:4-5)

"Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand." (Romans 5:1-2)

"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast." (Ephesians 2:8-9)

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." (John 3:16)
I think I know where this is going.

Might I also suggest reading and praying about James 2…

13
For the judgment is merciless to one who has not shown mercy; mercy triumphs over judgment.
14
6 What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him?
15
If a brother or sister has nothing to wear and has no food for the day,
16
and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, keep warm, and eat well,” but you do not give them the necessities of the body, what good is it?
17
So also faith of itself, if it does not have works, is dead.
18
Indeed someone might say, "You have faith and I have works." Demonstrate your faith to me without works, and I will demonstrate my faith to you from my works.
19
You believe that God is one. You do well. Even the demons believe that and tremble.
20
Do you want proof, you ignoramus, that faith without works is useless?
21
Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered his son Isaac upon the altar?
22
You see that faith was active along with his works, and faith was completed by the works.
23
Thus the scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness,” and he was called “the friend of God.”
24
** See how a person is justified by works and not by faith alone.**
25
And in the same way, was not Rahab the harlot also justified by works when she welcomed the messengers and sent them out by a different route?
26
** For just as a body without a spirit is dead, so also faith without works is dead.**
 
Fiber, the same Paul who wrote that, also wrote:

1 Corintians 13:
drbo.org/cgi-bin/d?b=drb&bk=53&ch=13&l=2&f=s#x
1 If I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. 2 And if I should have prophecy and should know all mysteries, and all knowledge, and if I should have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.
All faith as to remove mountains, that’s some pretty powerful faith!!! But yet, you’re nothing even with this faith? If you have not love (charity)? Now why would he say what he said in Romans, if faith alone is so worthless according to his letter to the Corinthians?

Because Romans is a letter about the Jeudisers, Jews who converted to Christianity and were now telling the Gentiles (who at this point were only just starting to convert, after Peter made the Decission that God wanted the Gentiles converted) that they needed to first be circomsised, then they needed to follow all 600+ levitical laws. Paul is telling the Roman Jews that this just isn’t the case. For more information on this, I would direct you to Acts 15:

drbo.org/chapter/51015.htm
1 And some coming down from Judea, taught the brethren: That except you be circumcised after the manner of Moses, you cannot be saved. 2 And when Paul and Barnabas had no small contest with them, they determined that Paul and Barnabas, and certain others of the other side, should go up to the apostles and priests to Jerusalem about this question. 3 They therefore being brought on their way by the church, passed through Phenice, and Samaria, relating the conversion of the Gentiles; and they caused great joy to all the brethren. 4 And when they were come to Jerusalem, they were received by the church, and by the apostles and ancients, declaring how great things God had done with them. 5 But there arose some of the sect of the Pharisees that believed, saying: They must be circumcised, and be commanded to observe the law of Moses.
You have to remember that Romans does not exist in a vaccume, rather it’s one peice of a greater story in the bible. Think of this as one of those cool CG battle scenes in an action movie. Acts is the cool, Panoramic overhead shot of the whole battle going on, Romans is sort of like the camera racing in and focusing on one small part of the greater battle. Make sense?

Now with Further regard to Abraham, James actually more directly and succecintly discusses what Paul ultimatly does say, but takes him a lot longer to say:

James Ch 2
drbo.org/chapter/66002.htm
21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, offering up Isaac his son upon the altar? 22 Seest thou, that faith did co-operate with his works; and by works faith was made perfect? 23 And the scripture was fulfilled, saying: Abraham believed God, and it was reputed to him to justice, and he was called the friend of God. 24 Do you see that by works a man is justified; and not by faith only? 25 And in like manner also Rahab the harlot, was not she justified by works, receiving the messengers, and sending them out another way?
Notice that what James is saying here, is that in order to be justified Abraham needed both his faith and obedance to God. This is also what Paul is saying, though his point specifically to the Jews is that the Gentiles need not carry the baggage of levitical law. Like Abraham, all they need bring is their faith and obedance to God.

I hope this helps you.
 
OK, so I watched my first mass last night on EWTN. Different. My sister, who was very supportive of my soul searching, has begun to throw every question she can think of at me since I told her I was looking at the Catholic church. Every lie we were ever told, she has asked me about. Most of them, I have at least found a quick answer for. Some, I told her I would have to read more about. I’m not giving in though. I also found out yesterday that a good friend (also from the cofC) has been thinking about the same things. I think we may go to mass together sometime. Maybe it won’t be so awkward if we go together.
 
How wonderful if you and your sister could attend a Mass together.If you do attend a Mass speak with the priest afterwards and tell him you are investigating the Catholic Church.He will be most welcoming.I suggest a weekday Mass first.Have a look where your local parish church is and find out the times of the Masses.Weekday Masses are not so well attended as people have to go to work and school etc.You can sit a t the back and follow everyone else when they stand or sit or kneel etc.
Or if you prefer go to your first Mass on a Sunday and sit at the back so you can follow everyone else.
I am keeping you in my prayers.May God bless you and your sister as you are drawn to Him.

Divine Mercy
Eternal God,
in whom mercy is endless
and the treasury of compassion
  • inexhaustible,
    look kindly upon us
    and increase Your mercy in us,
    that in difficult moments
    we might not despair
    nor become despondent,
    but with great confidence
    submit ourselves to Your holy will,
    which is Love and Mercy itself.
Amen
 
I think I know where this is going.

Might I also suggest reading and praying about James 2…

13
For the judgment is merciless to one who has not shown mercy; mercy triumphs over judgment.
14
6 What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him?
15
If a brother or sister has nothing to wear and has no food for the day,
16
and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, keep warm, and eat well,” but you do not give them the necessities of the body, what good is it?
17
So also faith of itself, if it does not have works, is dead.
18
Indeed someone might say, "You have faith and I have works." Demonstrate your faith to me without works, and I will demonstrate my faith to you from my works.
19
You believe that God is one. You do well. Even the demons believe that and tremble.
20
Do you want proof, you ignoramus, that faith without works is useless?
21
Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered his son Isaac upon the altar?
22
You see that faith was active along with his works, and faith was completed by the works.
23
Thus the scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness,” and he was called “the friend of God.”
24
** See how a person is justified by works and not by faith alone.**
25
And in the same way, was not Rahab the harlot also justified by works when she welcomed the messengers and sent them out by a different route?
26
** For just as a body without a spirit is dead, so also faith without works is dead.**
Amen! This is absolutely correct. Repentance and good works are the evidence of a saving faith. From Ephesians 2:8-9 we know they are not the “cause”. James 2:25 compliments Ephesians in this regard. We know that there are no contradictions in the Word of God.

Far too many people have fallen into a form of “easybelievism” where they think that mental assent to the facts of Jesus’ life and gospel message is all that’s required for salvation. Sadly there is a long line of evangelicals who think they are headed for heaven when in fact they are headed straight for hell.
 
Amen! This is absolutely correct. Repentance and good works are the evidence of a saving faith. From Ephesians 2:8-9 we know they are not the “cause”. James 2:25 compliments Ephesians in this regard. We know that there are no contradictions in the Word of God.

Far too many people have fallen into a form of “easybelievism” where they think that mental assent to the facts of Jesus’ life and gospel message is all that’s required for salvation. Sadly there is a long line of evangelicals who think they are headed for heaven when in fact they are headed straight for hell.
Could you do me the favor of discussing what Paul wrote to the corintians? It starts this page. Thanks 🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top