Contemporary english bible

  • Thread starter Thread starter MBd
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MBd

Guest
Hey everyone! I found a bilingual bible - with the deuterocanonical books - containing the translations “traduccion en lenguaje actual” and the “Contemporary english version”. Is the Contemporary english version a good translation for catholics??? do you think a catholic should buy it?

Thanks and God bless you all!
 
In my recent research, the CEV was created by the American Bible Society.

I know this because I stumbled across a Good News Translation (aka: Good News Bible && Today’s English Version) and have become infatuated with it, mainly because I can understand it, and honestly can’t put it down. It is Catholic-approved, by the way.

Allegedly, the CEV is even more contemporary than the GNT, but I wouldn’t want it to get any “dumber”. Really, the GNT is pretty solid.

If you need the bilingual aspect, the GNT comes in that form, as well… amazon.com/Biblia-Bilingue-English-Spanish-Bilingual-Bible/dp/1931952744
 
Hey everyone! I found a bilingual bible - with the deuterocanonical books - containing the translations “traduccion en lenguaje actual” and the “Contemporary english version”. Is the Contemporary english version a good translation for catholics??? do you think a catholic should buy it?

Thanks and God bless you all!
Honestly I think Catholics should stick to the Douay-Rheims and for more modern English RSV-CE or RSV-2CE. Always look for a Nihil Obstat or Imprimatur
 
I believe CEV carries imprimatur and nihil obstat. It is a very easy read, I think 5th grade level, intended not only for young readers but for ESL readers. Could be a good resource. The Spanish version isn’t familiar to me.
 
I believe CEV carries imprimatur and nihil obstat. It is a very easy read, I think 5th grade level, intended not only for young readers but for ESL readers. Could be a good resource. The Spanish version isn’t familiar to me.
It wasn’t aware that the CEV had an imprimatur or nihil obstat???
 
the CEV has the imprimatur, so a catholic can buy it and read it. The thing is, is the translation good?

grndslm, I already saw that bilingual bible… and I love it.
 
Hey everyone! I found a bilingual bible - with the deuterocanonical books - containing the translations “traduccion en lenguaje actual” and the “Contemporary english version”. Is the Contemporary english version a good translation for catholics??? do you think a catholic should buy it?

Thanks and God bless you all!
I would go with RSV-CE or The Ignatius Study Bible.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top