Context of Ezek

  • Thread starter Thread starter high1
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

high1

Guest
Hello

Can I ask, please what is the context of this from (Ezek: 5.14): ‘I will make thee waste’. Was this addressed to Israel and would that be for idolatry?

Many thanks.

High1
 
Hello

Can I ask, please what is the context of this from (Ezek: 5.14): ‘I will make thee waste’. Was this addressed to Israel and would that be for idolatry?

Many thanks.

High1
Appears so.
 
Hello

Can I ask, please what is the context of this from (Ezek: 5.14): ‘I will make thee waste’. Was this addressed to Israel and would that be for idolatry?

Many thanks.

High1
Ezekiel 5:5&6, we see the reason for God’s anger, and hence the context.
5*** Thus says the Lord GOD: This is Jerusalem***! In the midst of the nations I placed her, surrounded by foreign countries.*** 6****** But she rebelled against my ordinances more wickedly than the nations, and against my statutes more than the foreign countries surrounding her; she has spurned my ordinances and has not lived by my statutes***.
Remember, in Ezekiel, God’s Judgements were pronounced separately against Israel (the 10 rebellious northern tribes) and Judah (the tribes of Judah and Benjamin).

So, I would place God’s Judgements, in this matter, squarely on Jerusalem, which resides in Judah - hence, all of Judah.
 
Ezekiel was already deported to Babylon and he was reminding his fellow countrymen who were in exile about their past and present sins. And he was predicting and prepairing them for the fact that Nebuchadnezzar was going to further devistate the holy land, exile the people and finally destroy Jerusalem (“make thee waste”).

Later in the book the exiles would be the future hope for Israel after God finished their captivity. There would be a new covenant, their past sins would be forgiven and they would live under the rule of the Lord
 
Israel is a shadow of Christ, as such, the desolation of Israel foreshadows Christ’s kenosis in incarnation, and his isolation on the cross.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top