C
CastingCrown
Guest
Yet again, because there isn’t an “Early Church Fathers” forum, I’m at a loss except to post my question here…
In the letter of St. Ignatius to Polycarp he writes:
“If any one can continue in a state of purity, to the honour of Him who is Lord of the flesh, let him so remain without boasting”
Some translations I’ve read render “purity” as “continence” and others have footnotes to say that this implies “celibacy”. However, chastity, continence and celibacy are each different things (although, of course, related).
Can anyone shed any light on this for me? I can’t find the original Greek text online to find out what word is being used here.
In the letter of St. Ignatius to Polycarp he writes:
“If any one can continue in a state of purity, to the honour of Him who is Lord of the flesh, let him so remain without boasting”
Some translations I’ve read render “purity” as “continence” and others have footnotes to say that this implies “celibacy”. However, chastity, continence and celibacy are each different things (although, of course, related).
Can anyone shed any light on this for me? I can’t find the original Greek text online to find out what word is being used here.