Continuing to kneel after presiding priest has reseated himself

  • Thread starter Thread starter WenckebachCath
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WenckebachCath

Guest
I’ve noticed that there is a minority of parishoners who remain kneeling after the priest has reseated himself, following communion. What is the specific directive of GIRM regarding this action and posture? My understanding is that all in the congregation are required to reseat themselves when the presiding priest has reseated himself.I interpret this as an outward sign of unity.
 
I suspect you’ll see less of this now that there have been instructions regarding the purification of vessels.

I’ll tell you why I have continued to kneel once the priest has reseated himself. I have done this because even though the priest had reseated himself, the communion vessels were still ‘outside the tabernacle’ because an EMHC was purifying them. I would wait until he or she had put the vessels back into the tabernacle, and then I would be seated.

Now that the priest purifies the vessels after communion and puts them back into the tabernacle and THEN seats himself, I seat myself when he does.

Simple as that.
 
I’ve noticed that there is a minority of parishoners who remain kneeling after the priest has reseated himself, following communion. What is the specific directive of GIRM regarding this action and posture? My understanding is that all in the congregation are required to reseat themselves when the presiding priest has reseated himself.I interpret this as an outward sign of unity.
The laity is not required all to sit when the presider sits. According to the GIRM:
  1. The faithful should stand from the beginning of the Entrance chant, or while the priest approaches the altar, until the end of the Collect; for the Alleluia chant before the Gospel; while the Gospel itself is proclaimed; during the Profession of Faith and the Prayer of the Faithful; from the invitation, Orate, fratres (Pray, brethren), before the prayer over the offerings until the end of Mass, except at the places indicated below.
They should, however, sit while the readings before the Gospel and the responsorial Psalm are proclaimed and for the homily and while the Preparation of the Gifts at the Offertory is taking place; and, as circumstances allow,** they may sit or kneel while the period of sacred silence after Communion is observed.**
In the dioceses of the United States of America, they should kneel beginning after the singing or recitation of the Sanctus until after the Amen of the Eucharistic Prayer, except when prevented on occasion by reasons of health, lack of space, the large number of people present, or some other good reason. Those who do not kneel ought to make a profound bow when the priest genuflects after the consecration. The faithful kneel after the Agnus Dei unless the Diocesan Bishop determines otherwise.
With a view to a uniformity in gestures and postures during one and the same celebration, the faithful should follow the directions which the deacon, lay minister, or priest gives according to whatever is indicated in the Missal.
 
I suspect you’ll see less of this now that there have been instructions regarding the purification of vessels.

I’ll tell you why I have continued to kneel once the priest has reseated himself. I have done this because even though the priest had reseated himself, the communion vessels were still ‘outside the tabernacle’ because an EMHC was purifying them. I would wait until he or she had put the vessels back into the tabernacle, and then I would be seated.

Now that the priest purifies the vessels after communion and puts them back into the tabernacle and THEN seats himself, I seat myself when he does.

Simple as that.
Ditto. I kneel for Christ on the altar. As I heard a mother once explain it simply, “we kneel until Jesus goes back into His house (tabernacle).”
 
The parish I was raised in always remained kneeling, and still does to this day, even after the priest is seated. After the final blessing almost all would kneel again and pray after Mass. I go home form time to time and although not as prevalent as when I was a boy the majority still do so.
 
For a Stational Mass of the Diocesan Bishop the instructions are for all to sit when the bishop sits. From the 1984 Ceremonial of Bishops:
“166 When the bishop returns to the chair after the communion, he puts on the skullcap and, if need be, washes his hands. All are seated and a period of prayerful silence may follow, or a song of praise or a psalm may be sung.”
(Ceremonial of Bishops, Liturgical Press, 1989, ISBN 0-8146-1818-9, page 60).

This should still be followed, since from the 2002 General Introduction to the Roman Missal (GIRM) which can be accessed from romanrite.com/girm.html it has:
“112. … At a Mass celebrated by the Bishop or at which he presides without celebrating the Eucharist, the norms found in the Caeremoniale Episcoporum should be observed.”

The “Caeremoniale Episcoporum” is the Latin title of the book “Ceremonial of Bishops”.

For other Masses the 2002 GIRM will apply. Here the instructions on posture after Communion are not clear.

On the one hand unity of posture is encouraged. For example: “42. … A common posture, to be observed by all participants, is a sign of the unity of the members of the Christian community gathered for the Sacred Liturgy: it both expresses and fosters the intention and spiritual attitude of the participants.”

Another example of unity of posture is: “43. … With a view to a uniformity in gestures and postures during one and the same celebration, the faithful should follow the directions which the deacon, lay minister, or priest gives according to whatever is indicated in the Missal.”

On the other hand “individual freedom of choice” seems to be encouraged by this part of 2002 GIRM n. 43: “… and, as circumstances allow, they may sit or kneel while the period of sacred silence after Communion is observed.”
 
Another example of unity of posture is: “43. … With a view to a uniformity in gestures and postures during one and the same celebration, the faithful should follow the directions which the deacon, lay minister, or priest gives according to whatever is indicated in the Missal.”
This is the key. Unity NEED only be expressed through gesture where the appropriate authority directs so long as it is in accordance with the GIRM.
 
I’ve noticed that there is a minority of parishoners who remain kneeling after the priest has reseated himself, following communion. What is the specific directive of GIRM regarding this action and posture? My understanding is that all in the congregation are required to reseat themselves when the presiding priest has reseated himself.I interpret this as an outward sign of unity.
Each individual faithful may chose to sit, stand or kneel upon returning from receiving Holy Communion for the period of personal prayer and reflection. No one may dictate the posture taken it is up to each individual. Most people remain kneeling until the tabernacle is closed or the Blessed Sacrament is removed from the sanctuary.
 
Each individual faithful may chose to sit, stand or kneel upon returning from receiving Holy Communion for the period of personal prayer and reflection. No one may dictate the posture taken it is up to each individual. Most people remain kneeling until the tabernacle is closed or the Blessed Sacrament is removed from the sanctuary.
I remain kneeling until the Tabernacle door is closed but sometimes I wait until the Priest stands. It depends.
 
I’ve noticed that there is a minority of parishoners who remain kneeling after the priest has reseated himself, following communion. What is the specific directive of GIRM regarding this action and posture? My understanding is that all in the congregation are required to reseat themselves when the presiding priest has reseated himself.I interpret this as an outward sign of unity.
This practice comes from the rubrics for lay people at a Traditional Latin Mass, particularly a High Mass.

The people remain kneeling from the time they return to the pew after Holy Communion until the priest greets them with the “Dominus Vobiscum” and chants the Postcommunion prayer.

In the Novus Ordo the people remain kneeling until the priest places the the remaining Hosts into the Tabernacle and closes it. At least that is what the nuns taught me back in 1978.

Ken
 
I have long been puzzled and somewhat amused that the majority of the congregation sits down en masse (so to speak) when the celebrant sits after the Communion rite, evidently motivated by the mistaken notion that it is required by liturgical norm. Everyone who sits at that time was free to sit down at any time after returning from receiving Communion. By the time the celebrant sits down, not only is not required that we sit, I think it is rather pointless since we will be changing position again in a (usually) very short time to stand for the closing prayer.
 
By the time the celebrant sits down, not only is not required that we sit, I think it is rather pointless since we will be changing position again in a (usually) very short time to stand for the closing prayer.
I have the same thought and experience. We were instructed multiple times by our priests in my parish to stand until the last person receives Holy Communion and then sit or kneel. Like you I prefer to kneel after the last person receives Communion until the “Let us pray” when all rise again.

As others have already said the GIRM 43 says "and, as circumstances allow, they may sit or kneel while the period of sacred silence after Communion is observed. "

In Let Us Pray: A Guide to the Rubrics of the Sunday Mass author Father Paul Turner, Doctor of Sacred Theology, says “Many people assume the Communion ends when the tabernacle door is shut or when the priest sits down, but Communion ends when the last person has received.” (P751) "The CDWDS* attempted to clarity the matter in a later statement permitting these devotional postures after each person receives Communion. The intent of GIRM 43 is 'on the one hand, the ensure within broad limits a certain uniformity of posture within the congregation for the various parts of the celebration of Holy Mass, and on the other, not to regulate posture rigidly in such a was that those who wish to kneel or sit would no longer be free" Prot.N.855/03/L). However, this did not eliminate the posture the GIRM had in mind all along, namely, standing. The documents, therefore, permit three different posture after receiving Communion." (P748)

*CDWDS Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message
 
I’ve noticed that there is a minority of parishoners who remain kneeling after the priest has reseated himself, following communion. What is the specific directive of GIRM regarding this action and posture? My understanding is that all in the congregation are required to reseat themselves when the presiding priest has reseated himself.I interpret this as an outward sign of unity.
What about during communion? Do we sit, or kneel. The folks in my Parish (me too) sit. But I was taught by the sisters that as long as the Eucharist is outside the tabernacle, we kneel. Don’t know when this was changed, or was it. Too long ago to remember. Thanks.
 
What about during communion? Do we sit, or kneel. The folks in my Parish (me too) sit. But I was taught by the sisters that as long as the Eucharist is outside the tabernacle, we kneel, your choice. Don’t know when this was changed, or was it. Too long ago to remember. Thanks.
We stand until we personally receive Holy Communion and then when back in our pew, as was said, according to the rubrics we stand, sit or kneel, you choose. The common posture intented by the Instruction, # 43. *Movements and Posture *, is to stand until the last person receives, but we are free to stand, sit or kneel. If you’re uneasy choosing then you can ask your priest or deacon for counsel.
Each individual faithful may chose to sit, stand or kneel upon returning from receiving Holy Communion for the period of personal prayer and reflection. No one may dictate the posture taken it is up to each individual. Most people remain kneeling until the tabernacle is closed or the Blessed Sacrament is removed from the sanctuary.
 
During the time in which one has returned to the the pew after having received Communion,
it seems there is no requirement for uniformity of posture among the members of the congregation. Each one is free to sit, kneel, or stand as desired (though I think few would stand unless almost everyone was doing so.) While the practice of kneeling that the sisters advocated is the one that I prefer to follow, it is not something that the Church requires of us.
 
Each individual faithful may chose to sit, stand or kneel upon returning from receiving Holy Communion for the period of personal prayer and reflection. No one may dictate the posture taken it is up to each individual. Most people remain kneeling until the tabernacle is closed or the Blessed Sacrament is removed from the sanctuary.
I have the same thought and experience. We were instructed multiple times by our priests in my parish to stand until the last person receives Holy Communion and then sit or kneel. Like you I prefer to kneel after the last person receives Communion until the “Let us pray” when all rise again.

As others have already said the GIRM 43 says "and, as circumstances allow, they may sit or kneel while the period of sacred silence after Communion is observed. "

In Let Us Pray: A Guide to the Rubrics of the Sunday Mass author Father Paul Turner, Doctor of Sacred Theology, says “Many people assume the Communion ends when the tabernacle door is shut or when the priest sits down, but Communion ends when the last person has received.” (P751) "The CDWDS* attempted to clarity the matter in a later statement permitting these devotional postures after each person receives Communion. The intent of GIRM 43 is 'on the one hand, the ensure within broad limits a certain uniformity of posture within the congregation for the various parts of the celebration of Holy Mass, and on the other, not to regulate posture rigidly in such a was that those who wish to kneel or sit would no longer be free" Prot.N.855/03/L). However, this did not eliminate the posture the GIRM had in mind all along, namely, standing. The documents, therefore, permit three different posture after receiving Communion." (P748)

*CDWDS Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message
These two posts seem to contrast. If communion ends only after the last person receives, do we stand once communion starts till it ends? Or do we sit kneel until we get up to go receive then can choose to sit, stand or kneel immediately after returning to our seats and not wait till the rest of the congregation has received?
 
While it is true that Communion has not ended until the last person has received, I believe there is no prescribed uniform posture; the option to sit, kneel, or stand is in effect at the time the individual communicant returns to the pew.
 
I suspect you’ll see less of this now that there have been instructions regarding the purification of vessels.

I’ll tell you why I have continued to kneel once the priest has reseated himself. I have done this because even though the priest had reseated himself, the communion vessels were still ‘outside the tabernacle’ because an EMHC was purifying them. I would wait until he or she had put the vessels back into the tabernacle, and then I would be seated.

Now that the priest purifies the vessels after communion and puts them back into the tabernacle and THEN seats himself, I seat myself when he does.

Simple as that.
This puzzles me. Do you mean that in your parish empty vessels are kept in the Tabernacle?

I think the normal place for them would be in a safe in the sacristy, ready to be filled with altar-breads when the next Mass is prepared.
 
This puzzles me. Do you mean that in your parish empty vessels are kept in the Tabernacle?

I think the normal place for them would be in a safe in the sacristy, ready to be filled with altar-breads when the next Mass is prepared.
I wondered about that too. It’s been my experience that the priest returns the ciborium/ciboria to the tabernacle before he purifies the rest of the vessels.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top