Can anyone suggest good resources with documentation? Some of the apologetics I’ve seen so far are a bit weak in their arguments. Specifically, I’ve been presented with a list of “Answers to the Most Common Objections Against Sedevacantism” from a sedevacantist website.
Dave Armstrong posted some resources for refuting sedevacantism here:
socrates58.blogspot.com/2011/05/catholic-resources-for-refuting-grave.html
Let me know if that is helpful.
One thing I would want to bring up is a few Scriptures that I think are incompatible with sedevacantism. One is 2 Thessalonians 2:3 – “Let no one deceive you in any way. For that day will not come, unless the rebellion comes first, and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the son of destruction.” To me, this connects the great apostasy to the coming of the Antichrist. Verses 9-11 support this interpretation because they say that the Antichrist will
cause the Apostasy when he comes. At least, that’s how I read it. If the sedevacantists really believe that the whole Church (except for themselves) is apostate, then where is the guy who was supposed to cause this? He should be identifiable because this verse says he will be revealed when the apostasy happens. Well, it’s been over forty years since Pope St. John XXIII was elected. Shouldn’t the Antichrist have appeared, maybe started the battle of Armageddon by now? Because I don’t see him.
I am aware that some sedevacantists go so far as to say that the pope himself is the Antichrist, but what I want to know is, which one was he? Verse 3 says, “the lawless one will be revealed,” not “the lawless several.” Second, what were the great powers and signs he wrought to prove himself? Verse 9 says he will come with signs and wonders – not to mention what other Bible verses say, that he will persecute the saints of God and wage a great war. Sedevacantists object that the pope has allowed too much religious liberty, not that he has persecuted them. To me, that means the pope isn’t the Antichrist, and if the Antichrist hasn’t come, the rebellion hasn’t happened. Case closed.
Do you think that might be a helpful argument?
A second passage I would want to bring up is the prophecy of Daniel chapter 2. Daniel chapter 2 pointed out the characteristics of the four kingdoms that would rise before the coming of the Messiah. (Daniel 2:39-43) The traditional Catholic interpretation of that prophesy is that they were Babylon, Persia, Greece, and Rome. It correctly foretold that the Messiah would set up a kingdom in the midst of the reign of the fourth kingdom – Daniel 2:44-45.
The problem for sedevacantists is that in Daniel 2:35, the Messiah’s everlasting kingdom is described as being so large it would fill the whole earth. Sedevacantists say it is only a very tiny pebble in comparison. Only the Catholic Church of today fulfills the Daniel 2 prophesy. Only it was founded during the Roman empire and grew into a great size that has lasted ever since. No other faith has that. I think it is proof-positive that the Catholic Church under today’s pope is the true Church.
**EDIT :: I just noticed that some of Dave Armstrong’s links need to be updated because Catholic Answers deleted the back-issues of This Rock Magazine.
Habemus Papam can still be accessed here:
web.archive.org/web/20101009105933/http://www.catholic.com/thisrock/1995/9507fea1.asp
White Smoke, Valid Pope can still be accessed here:
web.archive.org/web/20110604013442/http://www.catholic.com/thisrock/2001/0103fea1.asp
Do-It-Yourself Popes can still be accessed here:
web.archive.org/web/20110604002729/http://www.catholic.com/thisrock/2000/0003fea1.asp
Mr. X can still be accessed here:
web.archive.org/web/20080606032314/http://www.catholic.com/thisrock/1995/9506fea2.asp
Those are all from the Web Archive’s Wayback Machine, which stores old copies of websites in case they get deleted during website updates. (Convenient, since that’s exactly what happened.)