I agree that abstinence to avoid pregnancy is perfectly understandable. In having sex only during the infertile times, however, is not the couple being “closed” to the transmission of life? They are deliberately engaging in sex at a period when conception is unlikely. Are they not “actively” seeking to frustrate the procreative good/end of intercourse?
Ok, the Church’s argument about this is very nuanced, so we need to be really careful to keep a couple of things in mind if we are going to understand it.
- The morality of each action must be judged on its own merit, not on that of others related to it
- To determine if an act is moral one needs to distinguish the intent, the means, and the circumstances and look at each seperately. If any of these are immoral then the action itself is immoral, if none are immoral then the action is fine.
Ok, so lets look at a married couple having sex during the wife’s infertile period while they have a sufficient reason to avoid children.
For this one act:
Intent: to be united with with ones spouse
Circumstances: Within the sacrament of matrimony, in a loving manner etc
Means: natural means for having sex
None of these are wrong so there is nothing wrong with this particular action.
Now, you probably feel like I am just evading the issue at hand and using semantics to get around the real question at hand. I promise, I’m not, but I do understand that it can be really hard to see how thats not what I’m doing. I’ll try my best to explain it.
As far as I can tell your problem (and that of many, many others) is that you believe that the intent in this case is not only to be united with ones spouse, but to do so
without the possibility of becoming pregnant. Which intent sounds as though it is against the idea of being open to life. And isn’t that one of the necessary conditions for licit sex? That it always be open to life?
The problem here comes, I think, from mixing up the abstinance in NFP with the action of having sex when infertile. Thats why I pointed out earlier the importance of judging each action on its own merits. Just so its clear, one is never required to have sex when using NFP to avoid. Basically, all that is required is that you abstain during the wifes fertile period.
That is what constitutes using NFP to avoid, not having sex while the wife is infertile, that is a completely seperate action which usually accompanies the use of NFP to avoid. (Its also why so many people try to show the difference by saying that NFP is just the lack of an action, it really is just abstinance). So the intent of not having a child, which you want to link with having sex while infertile, actually doesn’t belong to that action, instead it belongs to the abstinance during the fertile period. You yourself have agreed that there is no problem with abstaining for the sake of avoiding pregnancy, so there is nothing wrong with this action either.
I’m not sure if I’m being very clear… its a difficult issue to talk about because the distinctions involved are pretty nuanced. Does this help you understand any better? Am I at least understanding your difficulty?