P
PaulinVA
Guest
The" we are done" decision does have many components to it. Resources, emotional temperament, situations with the present children, age of parents, all are (name removed by moderator)uts to the decision. You just don’t say, “We are done”. There are reasons. However, the vibe, the ethos, the feeling among many Catholics here is that medical or health reasons are valid, but “we have enough”, based on emotional, practical, or financial reasons , is not “serious”.It sounds like you went from “we are done” as a reason in and of itself to “we are done” because we want to focus on the children we have, we are spread so thin, we need reserves for what lays ahead with the children we have, or we can not handle any more kids. So the Church does, in fact, accept “we are done” as a conclusion (as long as it means using NFP, not contraceptives and still open to life) as long as it is for a reason that the couple believes to be serious.
I usually pick my words very carefully. What I am trying to convey is the Church doesn’t seem to think that a couple can ever make a permanent decision to stop having kids because the family is built out. That should be a valid decision. I understand that there should be a serious reason to stop trying, but once that decision is made, I don’t think monthly re-evaluation is necessary. Maybe a positive decision, “Hey, we won the lottery. Let’s have more kids or take in foster children” instead of a negative decision every month. There’s no need for a couple in their early fifties (where the heck is menopause?) to evaluate every month if they should have another child. As Orasi said downthread, maternal age is a serious reason at a certain point.We are probably on the same page here but it seems you are using a poor choice of words that makes it sound like you don’t believe there needs to be a serious reason to use NFP. I don’t think that you think that.
Well, I could argue that such shallow and self-absorbed people should not reproduce.Suppose a young couple has one child soon after marriage. The child hampers the couple’s lifestyle of going out to the boat, drinking, and being merry. The couple then says “we are done” because another child would really hamper our lifestyle. Suppose that this is the sole reason for the couple using NFP for the rest of their marriage. Do you believe they would be morally justified? I would say no because the reason is not a serious reason that could even remotely fall in line with those specified in Humanae Vitae.