Contraception Proof Texts from Protestants

  • Thread starter Thread starter JoeyWarren
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JoeyWarren

Guest
Okay I have heard all of the arguments that prior to 1930 that all Christians believed Contraception was a sin based on what the Bible says.

Are their any quotes from Books,etc written by Protestants to justifiy this claim? Preferably books written prior to 1930 by notable Protestants.

TIA
 
Okay I have heard all of the arguments that prior to 1930 that all Christians believed Contraception was a sin based on what the Bible says.

Are their any quotes from Books,etc written by Protestants to justifiy this claim? Preferably books written prior to 1930 by notable Protestants.

TIA
catholic.com/thisrock/1997/9704word.asp

and a lead on a book here:

ALMOST NO ONE --Catholic, Protestant, Jew or secularist–realizes in 1990 that before 1930 Christian churches were united in teaching that it was immoral for married couples to use contraception. Evangelical Charles Provan, in The Bible and Birth Control [available through the Mini-Catalogue], has done all Christians a favor by collating an extensive series of quotations from classical Protestant theologians on the subject of birth control, specifically on the text of the Onan account (Gen. 38).

The first part of the book provides Provan’s interpretations of Scripture against any form of family planning–what I call the “providentialist argument.” The last part contains quotations from 66 Protestant theologians against Onanism, plus a list of 33 more who are not quoted. It is this last part that is valuable for showing birth control was not a Catholic-Protestant issue before 1930.

source: catholic.com/thisrock/1990/9011fea1.asp
 
That is a good start. But I would like to see some quotes from prominent Baptist writers as well.
 
Okay I have heard all of the arguments that prior to 1930 that all Christians believed Contraception was a sin based on what the Bible says.

Are their any quotes from Books,etc written by Protestants to justifiy this claim? Preferably books written prior to 1930 by notable Protestants.

TIA
This webpage documents quotes from Luther, Calvin, and others. I don’t know if any are quotes from Baptist, but they make a good case against contraception using sola scriptura.
ic.net/~erasmus/RAZ259.HTM
 
I don’t have any books but I know that the ladies at LAF.com have talked about this before. Perhaps somewhere on thier website is additional text.

ladiesagainstfeminism.com/artman/publish/

I also found this blog that says that it was the Angelican Church that first changed the rules.

***Originally the entire church – all denominations – forbade birth control. In 1908 the Bishops of the Anglican Communion meeting at the Lambeth Conference declared: ***

***The Conference records with alarm the growing practice of the ***

***artificial restriction of the family and earnestly calls upon all Christian ***

***people to discountenance the use of all artificial means of restriction as ***

***demoralising to character and hostile to national welfare. ***
***But by 1930, the Anglican Church became the first to change its tune, declaring at that year’s Lambeth Conference that “Each couple must decide for themselves, as in the sight of God,” about “scientific methods to prevent conception.” ***
***The other Protestant denominations quickly followed suit – giving up any hope of affecting the world and instead becoming conformed to it – so that within 30 years there was no difference between the Protestant position on birth control and that espoused by Sanger’s followers. It was all about individual choice. ***

mommylife.net/archives/2007/01/contraception_w.html
 
The Bible And Birth Control by Charles Provan is an excellent book. Provan is a Protestant.
 
Thanks for this information. I’m sharing these arguments with some friends.

CDL
 
That is a good start. But I would like to see some quotes from prominent Baptist writers as well.
I don’t think you’re going to find much in that arena, Joey. While Baptist Churches are themselves autocephalous, the vast majority (Free Will, Southern, etc.) are at least partially administered by conventions or governing bodies, and they are pretty much expected to stick to the party line, which, if not condoning it outright, has no particular problem with contraception. At leasts that’s been my experience with the congregations near my home.
 
Awesome. Thank you so much!

The other Protestant I can truly reccommend is Randy Alcorn. He has a ministry called Eternal Perspective Ministry. epm.org/ As far as I know he does promote condoms and other forms of birth control but as for the actual pills he is against this. He has a great little book, not a difficult read at all, and tons of information. Parts of the book he has posted on his website at epm.org/resources-prolife_abortion.html
 
I don’t think you’re going to find much in that arena, Joey. While Baptist Churches are themselves autocephalous, the vast majority (Free Will, Southern, etc.) are at least partially administered by conventions or governing bodies, and they are pretty much expected to stick to the party line, which, if not condoning it outright, has no particular problem with contraception. At leasts that’s been my experience with the congregations near my home.
I think Joey is looking for quotes from Baptists before 1930 to back up the claim that before 1930 virtually every church was against contraception.
 
I think Joey is looking for quotes from Baptists before 1930 to back up the claim that before 1930 virtually every church was against contraception.
Yes that is what I am looking for. And it can be from other Protestants as well.
 
I did a quick google of “Charles Spurgeon birth control” and came up with a few Protestant sites talking about the Church’s teaching against birth control. Charles Spurgeon, a 19th century Baptist preacher. . .VERY famous, VERY influential in contemporary evangelical circles, apparently was strongly opposed to contraception. So, he’s a good place to start. There are other sites and probably better ones with direct quotes, but here are a few I found. Hope that helps. God Bless!

mercyseat.net/BROCHURES/protestantprotest.htm

sermonaudio.com/source_prodinfo.asp?sitestore=true&PID=sw42005153621

whatyouknowmightnotbeso.com/brthctrl.html
 
Thank you Jane Frances

That is what I was looking for. Now I can do a better search and research on this matter because of the following:
Who are some of the leaders besides Luther?
John Calvin,
John Wesley,
Robert Dabney,
Charles Spurgeon,
A.W. Pink,
Zacharius Ursinus,
Heinrich Bullinger,
Cotton Mather,
Herbert Leupold,
Johann Keil,
Franz Delitszch,
Matthew Henry,
Adam Clark and
John Machen,
just to name a few, spoke against the use of birth control
.from:
mercyseat.net/BROCHURES/p…antprotest.htm
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top