Contraceptive may kill libido (the pill)

  • Thread starter Thread starter David_Paul
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

David_Paul

Guest
Contraceptive may kill libido
Julie Wheldon
May 27, 2005
news.com.au

TAKING the Pill for as little as six months could destroy a woman’s sex drive for ever, say scientists.

The oral contraceptive dramatically reduces the levels of a hormone responsible for desire and simply stopping taking it fails to reverse the effect, it is feared.

A survey produced such dramatic results that lead researcher Dr Irwin Goldstein advised any woman on the Pill who has sexual problems to stop taking it and try another method of birth control.

“There is a possibility it is imprinting a woman for the rest of her life,” he said.

The Pill was launched at the beginning of the swinging '60s with the promise of freeing women from the fear of unwanted pregnancy.
 
Unfortunately, I used the pill for a short time before I became Catholic.

I would have to say that I did notice a major decrease in libido. Luckily for me, it did return after I choose to use NFP.

NFP is the way to go. It’s awesome!!!
 
Unfortunately my wife didn’t have the option. She has endometriosis and the only effective way to make sure she would be able to have children was to put her on the pill, well that or a hysterectomy. I can’t say for sure about the libido difference but I do wonder a lot about her sex drive. We have “couple time” at the most once, one time a week and we have been married only 3 years.

I definitely support NFP but unfortunately we had to choose between that and my wife being in excruciating pain once a month and unable to have children.
 
40.png
Shlemele:
Unfortunately my wife didn’t have the option. She has endometriosis and the only effective way to make sure she would be able to have children was to put her on the pill, well that or a hysterectomy. I can’t say for sure about the libido difference but I do wonder a lot about her sex drive. We have “couple time” at the most once, one time a week and we have been married only 3 years.

I definitely support NFP but unfortunately we had to choose between that and my wife being in excruciating pain once a month and unable to have children.
It is certainly understandable for some women to use the pill for medical reasons.

I do not know what the average “couple time” is per week. With us it varies anywhere from one to seven times per week.
 
40.png
Jennie:
Unfortunately, I used the pill for a short time before I became Catholic.

I would have to say that I did notice a major decrease in libido. Luckily for me, it did return after I choose to use NFP.

NFP is the way to go. It’s awesome!!!
Me too… but I was on it for 14 years(medical reasons:rolleyes: ). It did not affect my libido in my teen years (or if it did it was too little to notice, lol… all those surging hormones) but did affect it dramatically later on.

I switched to NFP when I finally realized that the Pill was not helping my medical situation and I learned that contraception is wrong. I did not even realize that it was the Pill affecting my libido until I came off of it. It took almost a full year to get it back and to have a normal cycle.

I wish I knew then what I know now…

Malia
 
40.png
Jennie:
Unfortunately, I used the pill for a short time before I became Catholic.

I would have to say that I did notice a major decrease in libido. Luckily for me, it did return after I choose to use NFP.

NFP is the way to go. It’s awesome!!!
Same sitch here, and I totally agree about NFP. I wish more people knew how great it is.
 
40.png
David_Paul:
Contraceptive may kill libido
Julie Wheldon
May 27, 2005
news.com.au

TAKING the Pill for as little as six months could destroy a woman’s sex drive for ever, say scientists.

The oral contraceptive dramatically reduces the levels of a hormone responsible for desire and simply stopping taking it fails to reverse the effect, it is feared.
.
I don’t know why this is such big news now, we knew it in the 60s and 70s, it was common knowledge and commone shared experience in our consciousness raising sessions and other less strident girlie groups. The other related cause of diminished libido in women using the pill or relying on other forms of abc is the knowledge, conscious or subconscious, that you are being used as a sex object by your husband (or ‘partner’) and that your body and identity mean nothing more to him than a vehicle for his pleasure. As more women my age (aging hippies) divorce after 20-40 years of marriage, this emerges as a strong underlying reason for the dissatisfaction.
bottom line: the pill kills - embryos, women who use it (we also knew that back in the golden age of sex lib when women’s rates of stroke, heart disease and cancer started to rise with pill usage) and most of all it kills intimacy and therefore kills marriage.
 
So does Prozac and other antidepressents.
Personally I don’t see how a woman can enjoy sex if she is going to worry about getting pregnant.
The thought of tending to a wailing baby at 2 A.M is enough to kill any libido.
 
40.png
Lilyofthevalley:
So does Prozac and other antidepressents.
Personally I don’t see how a woman can enjoy sex if she is going to worry about getting pregnant.
The thought of tending to a wailing baby at 2 A.M is enough to kill any libido.
There are a lot of people who have the same feelings that you do about sex and the worry of pregnancy.

I certainly don’t expect you to agree, but all natural, 100%, complete sex is the most intimate, loving, arousing, pleasurable, and satisfying way of making love that there is.:yup:

So, I can personally tell you that, yes I can enjoy sex, and no I don’t worry about pregnancy.🙂

NFP actually creates a closer bond between you and your spouse. When your husband knows exactly when your ovulating just by being around him, that’s closeness.
 
Hi, i was just reading through and this may be a silly question, but what is NFP?
 
40.png
soulspeak23:
Hi, i was just reading through and this may be a silly question, but what is NFP?
NFP (Natural Family Planning) is a way to help a couple determine when sexual intercouse can and cannot result in pregnancy.

Married couples are free to have intercourse (or agree to abstain from it) on any given day, regardless of the wife’s fertility. But when they do join as one flesh, they do not frustrate the purpose God designed that act to have.

NFP allows for both partners to give themselves to each other “completely”. It can be used to avoid or achieve pregnancy by God’s design without the artificial use of drugs, contraception devices, and/ or unwanted side effects.
 
40.png
Jennie:
There are a lot of people who have the same feelings that you do about sex and the worry of pregnancy.

I certainly don’t expect you to agree, but all natural, 100%, complete sex is the most intimate, loving, arousing, pleasurable, and satisfying way of making love that there is.:yup:

So, I can personally tell you that, yes I can enjoy sex, and no I don’t worry about pregnancy.🙂

NFP actually creates a closer bond between you and your spouse. When your husband knows exactly when your ovulating just by being around him, that’s closeness.
I would agree.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top