Convalidation

  • Thread starter Thread starter nudayz84
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nudayz84

Guest
I cry every time I enter the church at one point whether it is during the readings, sermon, or song. We would like to have or marriage validated in the Catholic Church. It has been five years since our civil marriage (due to pregnancy and annulment paperwork) and we planned on having the validation on our 10 year. I feel as if God does not want us to wait this long but I also do not want my dad to be upset he could not give me away in the church( he gave me a good amount of money to have a wedding). I struggle with this but in my heart I know God wants us to do this. (We have been overseas away from family for six years) What are your thoughts on this situation and subject?
 
Get your marriage convalidated ASAP. Until then, every time you engage in marital relations, it is another grave sin.
 
I too was ‘married’ civilly for five years. Then I found out the seriousness of a Catholic in this situation – invalid marriage. So I went to the rectory and started the process immediately: we filled out the application, we got all the documents, we spoke with the Monsignor, and then Father convalidated our marriage. I’ve now been married – really married – for more than five years. Thank you, Lord!

Go speak with a priest ASAP and take care of this. Until then, live as brother and sister. As the first poster responded, every time you have marital relations, it’s another grave sin.

As you said, your heart is telling you something: listen and respond and be free and happy!
 
Please don’t wait another five years to have your marriage convalidated. As others have pointed out, it’s a mortal sin to be actively involved in an invalid marriage. And it’s a situation that’s relatively easy to rectify.

My husband and I were civilly married for 7 years and just celebrated our convalidation this past weekend. We just had a very simple ceremony with my parents and his parents. The whole thing lasted about 15 minutes and we are so happy that we had it done. Our only regret is that we didn’t get the ball rolling sooner.

Please talk to your parish priest ASAP. You’ll be so glad you did.

Also:
I feel as if God does not want us to wait this long but I also do not want my dad to be upset he could not give me away in the church( he gave me a good amount of money to have a wedding).
Minor point, but no one “gives away” the bride in a Catholic wedding. The bride and groom must both give their free and full consent to the marriage. You give yourself away, so to speak.
 
I we planned on having the validation on our 10 year. I feel as if God does not want us to wait this long but I also do not want my dad to be upset he could not give me away in the church( ?
giving the bride away is not part of the Catholic marriage rite
you do not need a big wedding, all you need is a priest and two witnesses and 10 minutes after a regularly scheduled Mass.
There is no reason once the annulment has been granted and marriage preparation concluded to delay convalidation for one more minute, as your goal is to be returned to full communion with the Catholic Church and union with Christ in the grace of his sacraments. The anniversary is irrelevant. To wait 5 more years is simply wrong and needless. keep your eyes on the prize and discuss with your husband–not other family members–what you are doing and why, with the pastoral counsel of the Church.

Welcome home
 
Thank you all for your thoughts, support, and personal experience. I really do appreciate all of your (name removed by moderator)uts. I am contacting the church today and plan to talk to our priest this Sunday.I feel so much better.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top