Cool stuff I got for Christmas ---- what did you get?

  • Thread starter Thread starter lizaanne
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lizaanne

Guest
Ok - time to spill. What cool things did you get for Christmas this year? What surprised you the most? What was so simple but so wonderful?

I always loved going back to school after Christmas break and sharing stories about who got what, and showing off pretty new school clothes.

Among other things, my mom sent me my baby spoons from when I was little. 🙂

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto..._240900767752_569897752_3438064_5623627_n.jpg

I have always loved these spoons - it was a very sweet and unexpected gift.

And my mother-in-law made this precious set of hand crochet mice for us (yes, that is Michigan snow out the window):

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto..._240933737752_569897752_3438291_8003266_n.jpg

She really is that talented.

My husband gave me the most amazingly beautiful bracelet made by a local jewelry artist. It took my breath away and made me cry. :o

So - what fun things did you get for Christmas this year?

~Liza
 
I got all that I asked for this year…🙂

Many books…I am determined to have quite a library!
And my favorite gift was a hot water bottle with a very warm fleece cover my little sister made me! I definitely keeps my toes warm as I am reading by the window watching the snow fall outside…
 
I got this amazing Eastern style cross I had been wanting. It’s my first piece of real religious jewelry so it meant a lot to me that my parents got it for me.

http://www.archangelsbooks.com/prodimages/Large/Gifts/ALI-EC-107.jpg

The front has an icon of Jesus Christ giving a blessing and holding the Gospels in his other arm. There’s a seven winged Seraphim flying above Him on the hoop.

The back has a prayer in Russian (which I can’t read, but still looks great) and the Theotokos/Mary with seven swords piercing her heart to show the pain she experienced through her Son’s passion.

I could go on and on about how much I love this cross haha
 
That is absolutely gorgeous!!! I’ve never seen a medal like that - no wonder you love it so much!

~Liza
 
The best gift for me this year was that my dad sang with my choir on Christmas Eve. It was the only time I’ve ever been able to sing with one of my parents. My mother and I were supposed to sing together when I was in 7th grade, in 1964, but I got pneumonia and didn’t get to even go to Mass that Christmas.

My dad is almost 80 and suffering from dementia. They haven’t used the “A” word so I’m hoping I never hear it. Last year he had to “retire” from his second career, singing at nursing homes and retirement centers. It was getting to be too much for him to lug his equipment around, and he was having to use music to do a whole 45 minute set. This fall he quit the chorus he’s been with since the early 80s. They sing from memory only and he just can’t do it anymore. I’m very grateful to have had this one – and probably only – opportunity to sing at Mass with him. Please keep him in your prayers.

I got a very cute stuffed moose from my son who is nicknamed Moosie. He also gave me a nifty paper cutter for my card making and scrapbooking. It has a little drawer in it, and has 3 different blades on it. The brand is Purple Cow, isn’t that cute! I’ve never seen it in a store before, just online. It comes from Germany, and all the markings are in “mm” instead of inches. I think I have to find a 10 year old to make a conversion chart for me.
 
I am a rosary maker. My sister bought me a bead organizer and a gift certificate to get supplies at the beading store! Hurray!! Now I can make more rosaries!! 😃
 
The best gift for me this year was that my dad sang with my choir on Christmas Eve. It was the only time I’ve ever been able to sing with one of my parents. .
I’m very excited that for my Christmas gift, my son is giving a gift of his time. To sing with me in choir until Easter. 😃
Kids also pitched in and got me a fire-engine red microwave. 👍 www3.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx?DeptID=57089&CatID=58061&GrpTyp=PRD&ItemID=15775ba&attrtype=&attrvalue=&CMID=57089|57345&Fltr=&Srt=&QL=F&IND=1&cmVirtualCat=&CmCatId=57089|57345|58061
 
I am a rosary maker. My sister bought me a bead organizer and a gift certificate to get supplies at the beading store! Hurray!! Now I can make more rosaries!! 😃
Hi Elizabeth… Is rosary making something 8 yr olds could do? I’m looking for a service project/art activity for my third graders.
 
I’m very excited that for my Christmas gift, my son is giving a gift of his time. To sing with me in choir until Easter. 😃
Kids also pitched in and got me a fire-engine red microwave. 👍 www3.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx?DeptID=57089&CatID=58061&GrpTyp=PRD&ItemID=15775ba&attrtype=&attrvalue=&CMID=57089|57345&Fltr=&Srt=&QL=F&IND=1&cmVirtualCat=&CmCatId=57089|57345|58061
That’s sweet. We have a couple members who have young adult children who sing with us on Christmas or Easter. I’d be happy if I could just get one of my kids inside a church. I thought I was going to get my daughter-in-law to drag my son to hear me sing, but alas…it was not to be. They’re grown ups; what can you do?
 
*Liza!! Those mice are precious…how special! :love: I think those types of gifts are always the most meaningful. I like looking out into a snow covered neighborhood in that pic.

Well…let’s see. My dh and I agreed not to exchange with each other. We ended up buying pots, pans and a food processor…plus some new silverware. Great great stuff…think we’ll be cooking and eating for a long time! 😃

BUT…my husband broke this year’s “rule”. :tsktsk: I bought him some small bottles of his favorite liquors, but he ended up buying me a ‘‘God’s heart’’ bracelet. :eek: Like you, Liza, I was speechless…SO if he must break the rules, I suppose I could make this exception. ;)😛 Really unique and pretty. I wish I owned a jewelry shop…I love jewelry. I love unique pieces that no one else is wearing. :o

My dd created a card on the computer…and wrote the most enchanting and powerful words to dh and me. I cried like a baby reading it! I hugged her and didn’t want to let go. She kept saying…’‘okay, mommy…OKAY…I didn’t want you to cry.’’ Really lovely, and a card I’ll cherish for years to come.

Bought my MIL a large print Catholic bible…she LOVED it. I was so pleased. If you are looking for a nice variety of Catholic Bibles everyone, go to amazon. I was pleasantly surprised.

God bless everyone and merry Christmas! *
 
Hi Elizabeth… Is rosary making something 8 yr olds could do? I’m looking for a service project/art activity for my third graders.
I taught 3rd grade PSR back in the late 80s. One year, I got this idea to make rosaries…most of my class didn’t know what they were. So I got macrame’ cord, a lot of ditalini pasta, and I cut little crosses out of construction paper and punch holes in them. I figured we use the ditalini as beads, and tie knots between the decades. That’s when I found out that MY third grader was the only one who knew how to tie a knot. I collected all the little baggies of stuff again, and type up directions for the parents to help them to it at home. I had about 20 kids and couldn’t have possibly tied all those knots my self in class.

I think it would depend on your kids, actually. Some third graders might be dextrous enough to make rosaries, pasta or bead, but many of them won’t have the coordination to do it.

What about book marks? I used to get a package of 100 vinyl book mark holders for around $10 from ClearBags. They sell checkbook/calendar covers clear plastic boxes in various sizes and shapes. Card makers get these little plastic folders to protect their cards from smudges. You could get a package of card stock, trim it to size and stamp, draw or otherwise decorate book marks. I make them for my choir every once in a while. I borrowed a stamp set that had a group of children singing with little hymnals and there was a stamp that was the perfect size for these. Once the paper is stamped, you just color them in with pencils or markers and put names or some quote on the bottom part. I put each persons’ name and stamped on the bottom a little cat who was looking at some sheet music. Maybe you could split the package with some other teachers.
 
My hubby got me some great dvd sets…complete collection of Star Trek series (original), season 1 and 2 of The Big Valley, and a complete collection of The Travels of Jaimie McPheeters…an old western from the early 60s. I was thrilled!!
 
Oh yeah…we also got each other a copy of Mike Huckabee’s book, A Simple Christmas. We laughed when we realized we’d gotten each other the same gift!
 
My parents bought me the third and fourth seasons of the BBC series Dr. Who - definitely my favorite gift of the season.
 
I’ve received my Christmas gift all year long. It’s the gift of our Lord renewing and strengthening my faith and leading me back to His Church. I feel like it’s Christmas / Thanksgiving every day.
 
DH & I did not exchange this year, but we did with our DD. We gave her a boxful of nice small-to-medium presents - a cookbook, a DVD of I Love Lucy, a microplane zester, a bag of dried mushrooms, etc. It just didn’t seem like very much, so I decided to give her a ring of mine that she has always liked and wanted for herself. I put it into the jaws of a chip clip that came with a mail order item I recently received, and wrapped the clip in a tiny piece of paper with a tiny bow. I stuck the tiny package into my skirt pocket and planned to give it to her as an “afterthought.”

She gave us each a few regular gifts - shirts, sweaters, a tie for Daddy, a cookbook for me, etc. Then she pulled out a large shopping bag marked for both of us. Inside was a black nylon briefcase thing, and inside that was a laptop computer! She had just gotten herself a small netbook, and this was her 2 year old laptop! We’ve been struggling for years with a very old, very compromised desktop - let’s just say it has 128 mb of memory, and that was pretty good when we bought it! Lately she’s been sending me emails with attachments that I can’t open or view, and when I complain, she says, “You need a new computer!” Now, I see the method in her madness!

Then I tossed her the clip with the ring, and at first she didn’t see the ring. When she did, she let out a gasp! We both laughed at how we had each given the other our "old junk, " and how those were the best of all.

Betsy
 
i got a kindle!
*Lucky! 🙂
Please tell how you like this…I am so curious! I want one of these too…exactly, how does it work? lol Is it designed to read books to you, etc? That kind of thing? Amazon said it was the #1 requested gift this year. *
 
DH & I did not exchange this year, but we did with our DD. We gave her a boxful of nice small-to-medium presents - a cookbook, a DVD of I Love Lucy, a microplane zester, a bag of dried mushrooms, etc. It just didn’t seem like very much, so I decided to give her a ring of mine that she has always liked and wanted for herself. I put it into the jaws of a chip clip that came with a mail order item I recently received, and wrapped the clip in a tiny piece of paper with a tiny bow. I stuck the tiny package into my skirt pocket and planned to give it to her as an “afterthought.”

She gave us each a few regular gifts - shirts, sweaters, a tie for Daddy, a cookbook for me, etc. Then she pulled out a large shopping bag marked for both of us. Inside was a black nylon briefcase thing, and inside that was a laptop computer! She had just gotten herself a small netbook, and this was her 2 year old laptop! We’ve been struggling for years with a very old, very compromised desktop - let’s just say it has 128 mb of memory, and that was pretty good when we bought it! Lately she’s been sending me emails with attachments that I can’t open or view, and when I complain, she says, “You need a new computer!” Now, I see the method in her madness!

Then I tossed her the clip with the ring, and at first she didn’t see the ring. When she did, she let out a gasp! We both laughed at how we had each given the other our "old junk, " and how those were the best of all.

Betsy
The dvd of I Love Lucy would be pretty cool in my book!! 👍 How thoughtful you both are to each other, and how nice it was of her to give you the laptop, and you give her your ring. That is really nice. :o
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top