Cooperation in Sin?

  • Thread starter Thread starter clarkpm2
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

clarkpm2

Guest
I am involved in a play festival at my university this October. I am directing a play I have written myself, along with three other close friends who are also directing their own work.

The problem is that one of the scripts, written by a very good friend of mine, contains a scene in which a character lists a gratuitous amount of degrading sexual acts. These acts are not shown or described in depth, just listed by their medical names. After reading the script I was uncomfortable with the content and approached him about it.

I gave literary and theatrical reasons why the scene should be changed, not flat-out moral reasons because I know he doesn’t share my Catholic worldview, and he refused to change the script. I really doubt he will as he is extremely protective of his work.

My play is in the same festival, on the same bill, and showing the same nights as his. If he doesn’t change the script and his show goes up as written, would I be cooperating in sin or giving scandal? I will be directing my own show, with my own cast, separately from his, but they are begin done side-by-side.

This is my first real opportunity to get my theatrical writing into the public and I am unsure of where to go from here. I tend to be scrupulous at times, but I want to be doing God’s will rather than the bidding of a scrupulous conscience.
 
I can’t see anything wrong with this. I can’t see how any reasonable person would conclude that you in some way support the other play be merely being in the same festival as it.

At any rate, we can’t possibly know if the content of the other play is immoral anyway. Simply listing degrading sex acts may not in itself be immoral, depending on the context.
 
No. You are not sinning in any way, contributing to sin, or in a near occasion of sin.
 
No. You are not sinning in any way, contributing to sin, or in a near occasion of sin.
Exactly! You would be contributing if you encouraged him to go with his script. But since you actively sought to get him to change it, you did what you could. The rest is on him.
 
I am involved in a play festival at my university this October. I am directing a play I have written myself, along with three other close friends who are also directing their own work.

The problem is that one of the scripts, written by a very good friend of mine, contains a scene in which a character lists a gratuitous amount of degrading sexual acts. These acts are not shown or described in depth, just listed by their medical names. After reading the script I was uncomfortable with the content and approached him about it.

I gave literary and theatrical reasons why the scene should be changed, not flat-out moral reasons because I know he doesn’t share my Catholic worldview, and he refused to change the script. I really doubt he will as he is extremely protective of his work.

My play is in the same festival, on the same bill, and showing the same nights as his. If he doesn’t change the script and his show goes up as written, would I be cooperating in sin or giving scandal? I will be directing my own show, with my own cast, separately from his, but they are begin done side-by-side.

This is my first real opportunity to get my theatrical writing into the public and I am unsure of where to go from here. I tend to be scrupulous at times, but I want to be doing God’s will rather than the bidding of a scrupulous conscience.
Not to avoid your question, but since you are looking into the matter with such care I have confidence you will do the right thing WHICH EVER way you decide to go.

There are tradeoffs and counter dilemmas whatever you do (not to drive your scrupulous side absolutely crazy 😉 ).

If you pull out of the festival because this other play offends your conscience, you may deny an audience a finer, higher piece of entertainment. Plus you have already expressed your sentiments to the other writer/director - which may yet have some effect to the positive as well. Even if the other writer felt he wasn’t sinning and went with what he had, he might be more thoughtful in what he DOES do.

If you stay, do the best with your play. I wonder, were you also IN this other play as an actress and asked to do something that violates your conscience? That’s a different thing.

I thought of this scenario for you too. You are hired to direct a ‘G’ movie - which is then played at a theatre which also plays "R’ and ‘X’ movies. Not your fault IMO.

In some ways we Christians are the ‘salt of the earth’ that keep things from getting rotten.
Showing our true colors where they are most needed is ‘not hiding our lamp under the bushel basket,’ or ‘preaching just to the choir.’ Good luck on whatever you decide and discern! OK, my feeling is do yours. Pray for his. 😉
 
I might add that there is such a THING as cooperation in sin. And that you are wise to ask 'is this one of those cases"?

On one hand, the Bible itself “contains” murders, adulteries, treachery and many sins. Of course it is holy and the word of God though.

Entertainments can be like that too - containing some elements of evil (often this is called conflict and are a part of most plays and movies - even comedies). Some entertainments directly promote sin. Others contain a bit of poison in them that spoil what could have been an edifying (spiritually) movie, play or book - and might lead other to sin.

I appreciate you brought the subject up clarkpm2 - even though in this particular case most of your advice has been to go on with your play (which is probably good and might help people).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top