Coptic lectionary

  • Thread starter Thread starter Digitonomy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Digitonomy

Guest
At this page the daily readings from the Coptic lectionary are presented. I noticed the translation is the NKJV. Clicking on the Arabic/English Bible link in the left column gives a link to all the books in the NKJV, from Bible Gateway - just the traditional Protestant books, not Tobit or other deuterocanonicals.


  1. *]Does the Coptic church use the NKJV as its English translation, or is it just this site?
    *]Does the Coptic church limit its lectionary to the Protestant canon? If not, what translation is used for the additional books?

    Apologies if this is better-suited for Non-Catholic Religions; I figured since the topic is Bible translations Sacred Scripture is the better choice, even if it’s translations for a different church.
 
Yes, the Coptic Orthodox Church generally uses the NKJV in English. They do also have the Deuterocanonical books. I believe that their canon more or less matches that of the Eastern Orthodox. This page, from the website of St. Takla Haymanout Coptic Orthodox Church in Alexandria, might help explain what Coptic Orthodox believe about the canon.

When I asked my Coptic Orthodox friends which Bible translation I should read, they recommended without exception the Orthodox Study Bible, as it uses the Septugint as the basis for its translation of the OT (not the Masoretic) and contains all of the Deuterocanonical books. I do not know what translations they use of the Deuterocanonical books that they use when using the NKJV alone. Being in communion with (and really, being directly ecclesiastically responsible for) the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church, which is somewhat famous for having the largest Biblical canon of any church, requires a bit more fluid understanding of the canon, you see… 😉
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top