R
residentcheese
Guest
Hello,
I was reading Gods Fool: the story of St. Francis of Assissi and I was struck that the only book St. Francis would let one of his brothers own was a copy of the Gospels. I was thinking about how I would love to have a copy of just the Gospels, and about how I remember things better that I write down, and I thought about copying the Gospels by hand in a journal for future use.
I have already copied the first chatper of the Gospel of Matthew, and it was a wonderful experience. It forced me to read very slowly, and was a sort of meditation on the birth of Christ.
I have looked all over the internet and found some Protestant blogs about copying the entire Bible, as well as read about some of the history of the monks, but it has been very difficult to figure out what the Catholic view about copying the bible by hand is.
What do you think? Is it okay to do this?
By the way, I decided to use the New American Bible translation.
I was reading Gods Fool: the story of St. Francis of Assissi and I was struck that the only book St. Francis would let one of his brothers own was a copy of the Gospels. I was thinking about how I would love to have a copy of just the Gospels, and about how I remember things better that I write down, and I thought about copying the Gospels by hand in a journal for future use.
I have already copied the first chatper of the Gospel of Matthew, and it was a wonderful experience. It forced me to read very slowly, and was a sort of meditation on the birth of Christ.
I have looked all over the internet and found some Protestant blogs about copying the entire Bible, as well as read about some of the history of the monks, but it has been very difficult to figure out what the Catholic view about copying the bible by hand is.
What do you think? Is it okay to do this?
By the way, I decided to use the New American Bible translation.