A
_Abyssinia
Guest
Seeing various threads regarding copyright and YouTube videos, it’s made me curious as to whether watching YouTube videos you know are copyrighted, is that a mortal sin?
My second question is, if you watch YouTube videos that are actually copyrighted but don’t know for sure/can’t determine whether it is copyrighted, is watching those videos a mortal sin? I find it difficult to determine more broadly when it comes to copyright infringement and some YouTube videos because YouTube I believe does have a copyright content filter when videos are uploaded to try and stop copyrighted content from being posted, but it’s not full proof, and then as a YouTube viewer I can’t determine with every single video I watch or see whether it is copyrighted or not - whether the user who uploaded the video has permission from the copyright holder to post the content or not, or whether the video is copyrighted but the company or individual that made the video is ok with it being uploaded by others, or whether it is Fair Use etc. It can be a bit of a mind field.
My second question is, if you watch YouTube videos that are actually copyrighted but don’t know for sure/can’t determine whether it is copyrighted, is watching those videos a mortal sin? I find it difficult to determine more broadly when it comes to copyright infringement and some YouTube videos because YouTube I believe does have a copyright content filter when videos are uploaded to try and stop copyrighted content from being posted, but it’s not full proof, and then as a YouTube viewer I can’t determine with every single video I watch or see whether it is copyrighted or not - whether the user who uploaded the video has permission from the copyright holder to post the content or not, or whether the video is copyrighted but the company or individual that made the video is ok with it being uploaded by others, or whether it is Fair Use etc. It can be a bit of a mind field.
Last edited: